Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gitzo tripod technical repair question  (Read 1524 times)

tsinsf

Gitzo tripod technical repair question
« on: October 28, 2014, 04:12:10 pm »

I have a defective Series 2 carbon fiber Gitzo tripod that Manfrotto replaced for me because it is no longer made and they couldn't replace the defective leg. They returned the defective tripod so I'm trying to make it functional. The problem is (for those of you who have cleaned or taken apart your tripod, you will know what I am talking about) the little white plastic bushing doesn't seat correctly so it slips off and gets jammed down into the top end of the leg (it is possible to fish it out). The problem is not the bushing, since I and they tried replacing them; it is the leg. The result is that when opening the leg it comes all the way out and separates from the rest of the tripod. I'm wondering if there is some way to secure the bushing in place. Glue? If so, what type? Any other suggestions. Thanks!!

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Gitzo tripod technical repair question
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 07:14:21 pm »

Hi,

I see your point, I would presume you mean those small wings at the upper end of each tube? I would guess that glue would work.

Best regards
Erik

I have a defective Series 2 carbon fiber Gitzo tripod that Manfrotto replaced for me because it is no longer made and they couldn't replace the defective leg. They returned the defective tripod so I'm trying to make it functional. The problem is (for those of you who have cleaned or taken apart your tripod, you will know what I am talking about) the little white plastic bushing doesn't seat correctly so it slips off and gets jammed down into the top end of the leg (it is possible to fish it out). The problem is not the bushing, since I and they tried replacing them; it is the leg. The result is that when opening the leg it comes all the way out and separates from the rest of the tripod. I'm wondering if there is some way to secure the bushing in place. Glue? If so, what type? Any other suggestions. Thanks!!
Erik Kaffehr

duane_bolland

• flexiblelightphotography.com
Re: Gitzo tripod technical repair question
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 11:31:18 am »

Those white bushings are the worst part of a Gitzo tripod.  Glue seems like a good option, but I suspect you will have trouble getting the bushing to stick to the glue.  I'd look into something like dual-component epoxy.  Maybe you could add a lip (with epoxy) to the top part of the CF tube that prevents the bushing from sliding off the top?  A last-ditch option would be to carefully drill a hole through the joint and stick a pin in it thereby permanently locking it in the extended position.  It would at least work that way.  I know a pro who has an old aluminium Manfrotto with one joint that won't lock.  She just uses the tripod without trying to extend the joint, so in effect it only goes about 3 feet high.  That would drive me crazy, but she gets by. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up