Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Leica 180mm R-lenses for M  (Read 2392 times)

allegretto

Leica 180mm R-lenses for M
« on: October 27, 2014, 02:39:43 pm »

want to get one of these, but not sure which ones are the good ones

2.0...?
2.8...?
4.0...?

Would assume the 4.0 is the lightest and don't mind it being 4.0. But I buy Leica for superb IQ, so which has the best IQ?

thanks

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
Re: Leica 180mm R-lenses for M
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:29:41 pm »

want to get one of these, but not sure which ones are the good ones

2.0...?
2.8...?
4.0...?

Would assume the 4.0 is the lightest and don't mind it being 4.0. But I buy Leica for superb IQ, so which has the best IQ?

thanks

The most recent 180mm f2.8 APO is said to be the best, which is confirmed by its higher price on Ebay.

I use a copy on my D810 and is probably the sharpest lens I own, especially at long distance.

Cheers,
Bernard

allegretto

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 07:05:54 pm »

The most recent 180mm f2.8 APO is said to be the best, which is confirmed by its higher price on Ebay.

I use a copy on my D810 and is probably the sharpest lens I own, especially at long distance.

Cheers,
Bernard

thanks Bart... what I wanted to know

just to be sure, could you tell me the model number so I chase the latest model? So many renditions that it's hard to keep straight

Manoli

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 07:17:26 pm »

thanks Bart... what I wanted to know [..]  so many renditions that it's hard to keep straight

Allegretto,
Suspect that due to the confusion of the moment - you mean Bernard, not Bart ... [/silly-smiling-face]

allegretto

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 08:15:10 pm »

Allegretto,
Suspect that due to the confusion of the moment - you mean Bernard, not Bart ... [/silly-smiling-face]

Oh, shoot... sorry, brain cramp

Yes... Bernard, sorry. DO you have that model #...?

I owe you a glass of your favorite beverage...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 09:14:00 pm »

Oh, shoot... sorry, brain cramp

Yes... Bernard, sorry. DO you have that model #...?

I owe you a glass of your favorite beverage...

No worries.

I believe that it is called Leica APO-ELMARIT-R 180mm ƒ/2.8. This version, the final one, started to be produced in 1998.

It seems to itself have had 2 versions (I: No. 11273 & II: No. 11357, from yr. 2004~) that are identical optically but differ by their compatibility with Leica Tele-converters. I am sure that some of our forum Leica experts will be able to provide additional details. I am in fact not sure which of these 2 I have. ;)

I'll be fine with a glass of chateau Petrus 1990. ;)

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:18:11 pm by BernardLanguillier »

telyt

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 09:58:33 pm »

I believe that it is called Leica APO-ELMARIT-R 180mm ƒ/2.8. This version, the final one, started to be produced in 1998.

It seems to itself have had 2 versions (I: No. 11273 & II: No. 11357, from yr. 2004~) that are identical optically but differ by their compatibility with Leica Tele-converters.

The f/2.8 APO is a very fine lens in most respects.  The aperture blades are a little on the short side so at apertures between f/2.8 and f/5.6 (approx) out-of-focus highlights will take on a 'ninja-star' shape - or at least my copy was like this.  The focussing ring has very little damping, which is a minor issue, and IMHO it would have been great to have had a built-in rotating tripod collar similar to the 280 f/4 APO-Telyt-R's collar.  The collar and a little more damping on the focussing ring and the lens would be just about perfect.  Really great lens as it is too.

The modification to allow use of the 1.4x APO-Extender-R involves a slight optical change (moves the rear element forward).

The 180mm f/4 Elmar's primary virtues are compact size and light weight.  It's optical performance is nothing to get excited about.

The 180mm f/3.4 APO IMHO is a great bargain, nearly as good optically as the f/2.8 APO.  It doesn't focus as close and is said to be optimized for infinity (originally designed for the US Navy to photograph Soviet 'fishing trawlers').  I'd look for the later version that uses E60 filters, or check with Leica to see if they still offer the conversion from Series 7.5 to E60.

The earliest non-APO f/2.8 (has built-in non-rotating tripod mount) is often described as a 'brick', referring to its weight.  The later version non-APO f/2.8 is lighter but is somewhat out-performed by Nikon's 180mm f/2.8 ED and by a greater margin the Leica APO lenses.

No personal experience with the Summicron; supposedly the optical performance is very similar to the APO Elmarit.  The Summicron is too big & heavy for my uses so my first choice would be the f/2.8 APO-Elmarit, followed by the f/3.4 APO-Telyt.

allegretto

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 10:07:36 pm »

I love this place...!

thanks gentlemen...
Pages: [1]   Go Up