Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cloth (other than canvas) printing, and final confirmation of printer choice  (Read 1514 times)

Dan Wells

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1044

I'd like to print some of my more abstract images on silk or a translucent cotton cloth - thinking of lighting from a window behind... I'm on the verge of buying a 7900, mostly for printing on Baryta papers, with a smaller amount on matte fine art media and sometimes relatively inexpensive semigloss or luster papers, but the cloth is a big experiment. I've been printing for many years, starting with the original Epson 2000P - the first pigment-ink printer a photographer could afford. It's amazing to look back and forward - from matte papers only, with a spiky gamut that didn't cover sRGB to today's choice of media, with well-behaved gamuts beyond Adobe RGB

 Has anyone used cloth media other than canvas? Is Jacquard the best source of unusual cloth media? Jacquard REALLY don't understand profiles - they have FOUR profiles among their 50+ media types, and they don't even say what printer they're for - reading the directions carefully, they're for the old 7880. Has anybody used their fabrics, and how did you profile them? Would a ColorMunki handle the job, or do I need to do the much more expensive upgrade to my ancient (pre xRite takeover) i1 to get it running on a modern OS?

Assuming I did manage to create a profile, what sort of image quality can I expect? Are there handling problems with the cloth media? As I understand it, they're very thin media on a paper backing - you separate them after printing... I would think that a 7900 would take such things just fine - between the straight paper path and the rotary cutter.

 I'm leaning strongly toward the 7900 instead of the Canon 6400 for a couple of reasons - most importantly, Spectraflow (who strongly prefer Epson, and keep a lot of Epson stuff in stock, while having to order Canon ink and other consumables) has an outpost up here (Vermont), and they've been extremely helpful - I think the local support/ink availability is a big deal (the only problem I ever had with a Canon 6100 was when a cartridge chip failed with the cartridge more than half full, and there was no quick way of replacing it while I was printing for a friend's show in a few days). The "tale of the pink ink" ended up with a cartridge of Light Magenta on the bus from Boston, at great effort for me, and especially for my father, who had to buy the ink and drive it to the Greyhound station. Canon is represented in VT by Spectraflow (reluctantly, and without the contacts they have w/Epson) and a couple of copier dealers who don't have much interest in iPF stuff

I think the 7900 is perhaps a better bet on odd media as well - straight paper path instead of a reverse curve, and the rotary cutter well clear of the printhead. I don't have room to consider either Epson's or Canon's 44" printer.

An additional consideration is that I believe the 6400 has inherited the "tilt me and I die" subtank system from the 8300 (I was present at the loss of an 8300 to this very problem), and I'm going to have to move the printer sometime in the next couple years. It's going to be a close call getting it out completely flat! As I understand it, the 6300 didn't have that problem, but when the 6400 picked up the 300 ml cartridge option, it also added the subtanks from the 44" printers.
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas

I have never tried it, as the 9900 is not spec'd to do it.  However your bigger issue would be an inkjet receptor coating on the fabric?  As I understand it, all paper, canvas etc. has this  and it's key to the droplets being accepted, and not smearing. 

There are other types of printers out there, latex for example that might work better, or solvent?

I guess anything is worth a try however.

Paul 
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

rubo

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14

I print on textiles all day everyday on Epson 9700 - in fact it's part of my business - so if you want to print on natural fabrics - ie, linen, silk, burlap, cotton etc - whatever you can run trough your printer - you'll have to think how to stabilize the fabric - what I do is take a piece of lexan (those come in 4x8 sheets), apply double sided mounting film (drytac.com), mount the fabric (you'll be limited by the length of the sheet), fill up with DTG inks - most of the DTG printers based on Epson, so there are no issues there. If you want to print on rolls there are bunch of companies making paper backed printable fabric - digifab.com for one...As for profiles - make your own, not a big deal. Good luck.
Logged

enduser

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 610

We regularly use our ipf Canon to print on silk and cotton.  We buy rolls and use a hot iron to separate the backing after printing.   If you get a Canon cart with a bad chip, just disable ink level for that cart and it will use it.  You have to manually keep an eye on it to catch it when its nearly empty.
Logged

Chromaco

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3
  • Chromaco. The Fine Art of Printing
    • Chromaco. The Fine Art of Printing

Jacquard silks are very nice. The prints turn out very sharp and crisp. You have to watch out for threads from the ends of the rolls, they tend to get caught in the head. Use Enhanced Matte for the media setting. We made a custom profile for the silk.
Logged
Chromaco, Inc.
www.chromaco.com
#ScanPrintSell

aaronchan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 619

HP latex printer and its ink would be my bet on clothing printing besides dye sub printer
Pages: [1]   Go Up