Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Kudos and thanks to Eric Gulbransen  (Read 1638 times)

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Kudos and thanks to Eric Gulbransen
« on: October 23, 2014, 10:46:43 am »

I wanted to put this in a new post, since it's more about issues to my 9900. 

Before I put down the details, I just wanted again thank Eric, for his time and effort to explain both complex and simple issues around the 7900/9900 family and to his taking the time to create the video's on his website that cover simple maintenance issues. 

This morning I was trying to finish up 2 final 30 x 45 canvas prints for an account that had to have them this weekend.  My assistant had made all the previous prints on the 9900, no issues and they have all been stretched.  The final 2 he overlooked the gallery wrap allowance on the width.  I was in a rush, coated the prints, and never measured them.  Go to stretch, and 30" not 34" on width. 

So, I know I can re-print, and coat and have them on site still by Saturday.  Run down to my office, and fire up the 9900, which has been running a bunch lately.  I do my mandatory nozzle check, and I have one bar missing from PK.  I know, I should have just made the prints, but somehow my obsessive side came into play, and I powered off and came back up in Service Man mode.  Ran a CL1 and fully expected the one bar to be back.  NO, what I now had was a huge mass of deflected and missing nozzles.  I ran a CL2 and it only moved the mess down a bit.

A bit of history, this printer is 3.5 years old, and no longer has any extended warranty, it expired in Sept.  If I had been under warranty, I would have called a friend of mine, and just had him make the prints and let Epson handle the issue on my 9900.   My 9900 had the head and dampers replaced back in March of 2014, and I assumed the wiper also.  I have never seen this behavior before, ever with 1st head or replacement, i.e a single line missing, turning into a total mess with a CL1 cleaning.  I was already running the pricing comparison of a new 9900/ vs paying for Decision One to replace the head. 

Not sure if the head had permanent damage, but I did wonder if somehow the wiper was screwed up.  I have been doing a lot of PK/MK switches and inevitably you are going to have to run a cleaning cycle.  Yes you can do the switch in Service Man mode, and the printer won't clean,  but mine seems to still want to clean, once I come back in normal mode.  Net, lots of wiper use.

My older 7800, does this all the time, in that I can get junk on the wiper and see defections, and a simple pull the head, and clean off the old ink, fixes it.  So I wondered if my wiper on the 9900 was needing replacement?

We all know Epson doesn't show how to do it, but I remember Eric's simple video on the process.  I had purchased several wipers in the spring when my first head went out.  I found the video, and followed the process and with a CL3 and new wiper, came back with a clean head pattern.  I was pretty sure that just throwing more cleaning cycles at the head with the old wiper would be useless. 

Eric's video is short and two the point, and the process is simple and straight forward.  Epson should allow end users to do this (but that's another story). 

When I took a look at the original wiper, sure enough it had a very slight tear about 1/4 of the way across, and there was a lot of junk up in and around that part of the wiper.

This process would not have been doable without Eric's taking the time to create the video and give the part numbers, etc.  Sure you can purchased the actual service manual (if you can find it on-line), but this is one situation where a video is better. 

Net, I got the two canvas prints done, and they will be coated and stretched tomorrow for delivery on Sat. 

Eric, thanks again. 

Paul Caldwell
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ray Cox

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 60
Re: Kudos and thanks to Eric Gulbransen
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 12:14:47 pm »

I'll second the motion!  That long read and videos have saved my bacon a couple of times. I am on my second 9900. Love the output from these machines, but a little monitoring and maintenance go a long way. Too bad Epson does not have a suggested maintenance routine.  A huge thanks to Eric!
Logged

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Kudos and thanks to Eric Gulbransen
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:02:33 pm »

I wrote him a check for $25 as a gift--that's how much I appreciate his dedication and willingness to share. He is an extraordinary man.
Logged

Some Guy

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 729
Re: Kudos and thanks to Eric Gulbransen
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »

Question:

My understanding is the wiper has no effect on the nozzle check, just to get off gunk under the head?

I suspect since you did a couple of ink flush cycles, the ink eventually got to the head's nozzles and maybe soften up the clog while you had it apart and it began flowing again.

Seems when I get a missing nozzle, do an ink power clean, and let it sit for a few hours, it begins flowing again.  One cleaning after the other seems to do very little, but the long wait in between the clean and the subsequent nozzle check does a lot.

SG
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: Kudos and thanks to Eric Gulbransen
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 12:11:38 pm »

Question:

My understanding is the wiper has no effect on the nozzle check, just to get off gunk under the head?

I suspect since you did a couple of ink flush cycles, the ink eventually got to the head's nozzles and maybe soften up the clog while you had it apart and it began flowing again.

Seems when I get a missing nozzle, do an ink power clean, and let it sit for a few hours, it begins flowing again.  One cleaning after the other seems to do very little, but the long wait in between the clean and the subsequent nozzle check does a lot.

SG


I find that there are three categories of nozzle issues on a 9900/7900.

1.  Simple pattern missing a few lines in a nozzle check
2.  Pattern missing line and showing deflections, (these show up as lines that are lined up correctly in the jagged pattern of the nozzle check
3.  Pattern showing either 1/2 2/3 or full channel missing.

The wiper is key in the first two, as they are caused by actual debris on the head most times and the wiper literally wipes the head just like a wiper on a windshield.  So if you wiper has a tear or is worn out, you are more than likely to not get the even pressure you need and can create a bigger issue as happened with me.   

Missing 1/2 to an entire channel is not a clog, it's either a defective head or channel in the head, or a damper pressure issue.  Yes many times it recovers with a cleaning cycle and that uses the wiper as all cleaning cycles do, but in this case the purge of ink fixes the pressure issue and allows the head to get a full charge of ink again.

This is how it's been explained to me.   And in my use, this pretty much follows the course.

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up