Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture , RAW Engine v6 and X-Trans?  (Read 6347 times)

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Aperture , RAW Engine v6 and X-Trans?
« on: October 21, 2014, 02:11:18 pm »

What do we know, or how can we find out, what Aperture is up to with Fujifilm X-Trans RAW files?

We “know” that two of Aperture’s weaknesses are the lack of lens correction tools and less-than-state-of-the-art noise reduction control.

As best I understand it, Fujifilm includes lens correction data in their RAW files and decoding them results in files with Fujifilm’s corrections (distortion, chromatic aberrations, etc.) already fixed. That might be one weakness down. Is it true that Aperture does this?

The X-Trans sensor has pretty good low noise performance resulting in less noise at fairly high ISOs. So less noise reduction is needed. That looks like another weakness down.

Is there an objective source of information on how well Aperture handles X-Trans RAW conversions, especially on these two specific points, versus the competition (Lightroom and Capture One, mostly)?

What do folks on this forum know?
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: Aperture , RAW Engine v6 and X-Trans?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 02:23:10 pm »

I've done a very simple and unscientific test and it convinces me that out-of-camera JPGs and RAWs have the same lens distortion corrections displayed when the RAWs are processed by Aperture 3.6 and the Digit Camera RAW v6 engine.

I took RAW+JPG images of a brick wall, loaded them all into Aperture, and compared the displayed image pairs side by side. If there were any distortion differences between them, and I assumed that there were going to be differences, I couldn't see them. Even the OOC JPGs had some distortion and that was shared by the RAWs.

More details:

ISO 200
Tripod with camera leveled via the bubble on the ball-head
18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS WR lens
Shot at 18mm and f/3.5
Shot at 123mm and f/5.6
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up