Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Andromeda  (Read 23825 times)

michael

Andromeda
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:39:37 pm »

This topic is for discussion of the image and commentary found in Michael's Phlog titled Andromeda.

Note that I am also making available a 3MB JPG download file so that you can pixel peep. But more importantly so that you can make a large print from the file for your own personal use and interest.

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: Andromeda
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »

Nice. I've managed photos of Jupiter & its moons, and Andromeda in a big sky context, where it's little more than a large blurry blob, but this one is quite nice & has me wondering about some sort of tracking mechanism

Rory

• Recent images
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »

That is a stunning image Michael.  Congratulations!
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/roryhi

NancyP

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 06:45:04 pm »

There's a lot of ancillary learning that goes on when one takes a shot at astrophotography. I find that the act of photographing a subject motivates me to learn more about it. I suppose that some of the learning is in the service of taking better photos of that subject, but most is "what the heck is this  _______ (plant, snake, rock, mushroom, Messier object, etc)". (off to read up on the plants featured in the images I will present at our club meeting)

michael

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 07:42:00 pm »

For example... I didn't know that M32 and M110 were satellite galaxies of Andromeda until after I'd studied the image and looked them up.

Michael

Sitti

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 11:48:48 pm »

Hi Michael,

Fantastic shot. How did you convert the raw image to the final image? The raw image seems to be blanketed with gray color. How did you remove the gray color and recover the actual image you show.

This is my first post after following your site for a few years. I register just to post this question  :)

Thanks you very much,
-Sitti

michael

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2014, 09:23:07 am »

Process is quite easy.

I used Lightroom and did a curves adjustment that looks like this...

The rest was fine tuning.

Michael

cwood

• Utah & Big Island, HI
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 09:06:38 pm »

FWIW, Ricoh announced an update today for the 645Z that allows turning off the long exposure noise reduction mode.

BobDavid

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 11:57:54 am »

Impressive. The lens is well-corrected. I get a tinge of vicarious pleasure when I see stuff like this. I understand how thrilling it must be to marvel at a big print.
Pages: [1]   Go Up