Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to use Hassleblad 350mm Tele Tessar w synchro compur shutter?  (Read 1222 times)

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/

I have a very nice Hassleblad 350mm Tele Tessar w synchro compur shutter that I would like to use via a Kippon Hasselblad to Contax 645 adapter on my Contax 645 - but I donĀ“t know if this is possible and if it is how to do it?

So far I have not found any user instructions for this lens or similar information apart from lens specs anywhere, so any advice about how to proceed would be most welcome!

lowep

Re: How to use Hassleblad 350mm Tele Tessar w synchro compur shutter?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 06:15:26 pm »

partly solved!

I have found out the lens has a screw on the face of the camera mount and when this is turned it opens the shutter built into the lens (as I suppose the 500c camera body it was designed for would also do) with the result that the shutter in the lens stays open enabling me to shoot the Contax 645 through it and adjust the exposure by shutter speed.

The catch is this adjustment also opens the other shutter in the lens that controls its aperture to f5.6 that is the maximum and prevents any further adjustment of aperture as long as the previously mentioned shutter is open, temporarily turning it into a fixed f5.6 lens. Fortunately this is not a "very" serious problem as the lens is so well designed it performs well at this aperture... perhaps the MFDB equivalent of foot binding?

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 08:52:59 pm »

Hi,

All Hasselblad V-series lenses I have seen have a stop down button. On CF and later it is really nice.

What lens do you have?

Ah, SynchroCompur, in that case the stop down lever is just a shiny bit of metal somewhere close to the aperture ring. Just a small one!

Best regards
Erik

partly solved!

I have found out the lens has a screw on the face of the camera mount and when this is turned it opens the shutter built into the lens (as I suppose the 500c camera body it was designed for would also do) with the result that the shutter in the lens stays open enabling me to shoot the Contax 645 through it and adjust the exposure by shutter speed.

The catch is this adjustment also opens the other shutter in the lens that controls its aperture to f5.6 that is the maximum and prevents any further adjustment of aperture as long as the previously mentioned shutter is open, temporarily turning it into a fixed f5.6 lens. Fortunately this is not a "very" serious problem as the lens is so well designed it performs well at this aperture... perhaps the MFDB equivalent of foot binding?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 08:55:18 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Erik Kaffehr

lowep

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 11:04:41 pm »

Super Erik!!! Thanks for putting me on the right track that lead me to this useful tip:

In normal operation, viewing through this lens is at maximum aperture. A lever
on the right side of the lens can be used to stop down the lens. If the lens
has been stopped down by the lever, then selecting the maximum aperture will
cancel the effect of the lever so that viewing can again be done at maximum
aperture regardless of shooting aperture. In any case, the aperture will
reopen once the lens is recocked after the exposure. After the exposure, the
shutter remains closed until the lens is recocked (a mounted lens will be
recocked automatically by the body's winding crank). The very earliest C
lenses did not have this depth of field preview lever; the Superwide models
also do not have this lever.

Even more amazing, I just tried this and it actually works  :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up