Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: z3100 - repair or trade  (Read 798 times)

zippski

z3100 - repair or trade
« on: October 07, 2014, 10:57:50 pm »

It had to happen.  My trusty z3100 24" did not survive my recent move intact (even the though the move was super-careful and only next door to another renovated house on the farm).  I began my first serious print job since the move (after running a successful purge and colour calibration).

My gloss enhancer ran out on the first print, which I replaced.  Right away, the MK-R printhead failed.  However, the replacement printhead will not reseat and the error message remains no matter how many times it is reseated.  Next, the PK-LG printhead shows that it too has failed, and after a full day with HP service tech on site, the entire series of printheads now show a fail error on the LCD. 

Tech seems to think it is a bad formatter board ($200), or possibly the whole print carriage needs replacing) ($1500)

I started to look online, and I can do the following:

1.  Step up to a new 44" z3200 for as little as $3200 (and maybe trade my unit in)
2.  Buy a refurb z3200 44" with 3-year warranty, full inks and extra paper for about the same, and maybe trade in
3.  Fix my z3100 unit for maybe $200 plus $1000 service, (but maybe more!)
4.  Buy a refurb 24" z3200 with a 3-year warranty for about $1700

I have a tough call here - I only have about 400 prints through my machine since new, but I have to replace a whole set of expired inks right now as well.

Leigh
zippski     

Justan

• Justan-Elk.com
Re: z3100 - repair or trade
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:58:03 am »

A little over a year ago I had a similar problem with a z3100 I’d had for about 5 years. I decided that, looking forward, it was a better bet to start new so I bought a z3200 44” and it has been flawless in performance since. The printer is also able to use all the but the red ink cart from the z3100 so that was a plus and a notable cost savings.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: z3100 - repair or trade
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 08:30:36 pm »

I did the same as Justin, haven't looked back and printer is flawless.

Buy the new one don't take a chance.

I haven't regretted it at all.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up