Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Where is Lightroom 6?  (Read 17890 times)

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
Re: Where is Lightroom 6?
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2014, 07:28:46 pm »

I think shooting jpg for you is a much better option than RAW and
LR.

rogan

« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014, 08:13:25 pm »

??? You're kidding right.

Hans Kruse

• Hans Kruse Photography
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2014, 02:14:34 am »

??? You're kidding right.

With this number there cannot be any editing done anyway so why shoot raw?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2014, 03:54:24 am »

Rogan, exactly which C1 commands are you comparing LR against? I know C1 moderately but don't know which menu you're running.

One thing you can try is to set off a series of exports. So instead of a single 1000 image export, export four batches of 250, without waiting for each batch to finish. When I last tested, this was faster. But if the difference with C1 is as great as you say, I doubt it would close the gap. And in any case I bet Photo Mechanic would be the better tool for the job.

ButchM

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2014, 05:50:23 am »

I think shooting jpg for you is a much better option than RAW and
LR.

I would tend to agree ... there are very legitimate reasons for shooting RAW ... but  ... if you are shooting high volume, under fixed and controlled lighting conditions ... and ... your client is expecting to receive jpeg files immediately following the shoot ... there really is little reason to waste all the time, energy and space for RAW. Especially when you are using cameras that can create a 36MP image ... Heck I've know wedding shooters that pounded out millions of jpegs from 6-8MP cameras that would rival most folks shooting RAW.

For myself, I shoot RAW on almost every job, except when I have the criteria mentioned above (high volume, controlled shoot, immediate delivery) then I shoot jpeg ...

If you are getting it right before you trip the shutter, and the client is expecting jpeg anyway ... there is little need to go to all the trouble.

I also agree with John ... sending multiple smaller, simultaneous batches to export will speed things up. Unfortunately, in Lightroom, export is not multi-threaded so as to allow users to continue work on another project while the first project is exporting.

Too bad they don't allow for a preference setting to devote all resources to a large export when needed.

Another idea is not to wait until the very end of the day to export the entire job, export smaller batches as you go along ...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2014, 06:01:37 am »

I also agree with John ... sending multiple smaller, simultaneous batches to export will speed things up.

I'd just be cautious about that, Butch. Rogan should certainly try simultaneous batches as they saved 60% of the total export time when I tested it, but I suspect it's less advantageous now.

ButchM

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2014, 06:09:44 am »

I'd just be cautious about that, Butch. Rogan should certainly try simultaneous batches as they saved 60% of the total export time when I tested it, but I suspect it's less advantageous now.

We routinely upload event shoots of 1,500 to 4,000 jpegs to our web server for the online shopping cart ... multiple batches save as much time in v5.6 as they did a few years back when you and others first pointed out the benefit ...

It would still be nice if Adobe could improve performance overall ...

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2014, 06:34:45 am »

We routinely upload event shoots of 1,500 to 4,000 jpegs to our web server for the online shopping cart ... multiple batches save as much time in v5.6 as they did a few years back when you and others first pointed out the benefit ...

Thanks, Butch, that's good to know.

John

Manoli

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2014, 07:14:58 am »

... certainly try simultaneous batches as they saved 60% of the total export time when I tested it...

simultaneous batches ?
custom plug-in ?
how does this integrate with LR / Mogrify 2

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2014, 07:36:07 am »

As I wrote in the article, I was playing with some code. I know it led to a bulk DNG export plug-in that I use myself, but I don't know if I kept the code in a generic form. I'll take a look. Plug-ins often fight eachother though, and filenaming can be an issue with batches (eg if you want sequence number filenaming).

Manoli

« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2014, 08:33:46 am »

John,

An interesting concept. I've played around with Mogrify2 and can't see any kind of bulk export feature and I would have thought that interfacing with the LR 'right-click' dialogue box and it's various plug-ins would be 'difficult' if not impossible.

But how about the ability to highlight multiple folders in the Library and then simply bulk export the folders and their contents, keeping the folder names but to a different location and to a format of choice (DNG, jpeg, tiff ) invoking DNG converter, LR export, Mogrify2 etc as required..

M

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2014, 09:34:31 am »

But how about the ability to highlight multiple folders in the Library and then simply bulk export the folders and their contents, keeping the folder names but to a different location and to a format of choice (DNG, jpeg, tiff ) invoking DNG converter, LR export, Mogrify2 etc as required..

Essentially that's what my own plug-in does. The initial "play" code broke up the export into batches of 100, but the plug-in's job breaks up the export into one batch per folder. I'm not saying this kind of plug-in couldn't invoke another plugin like Mogrify, but I'll try to give you an idea of the issues. Where the two plug-ins are both export plug-ins, you're going to have to choose which plug-in controls the export process (think about the Export To drop down box at the top of the Export dialog) or modify my plug-in to send the correct instructions to the external Mogrify program. In another situation the other plug-in might be a post-processing filter and will be expecting to process new images at the location where Lightroom exported them - no good if my plug-in has already moved them into a sub-folder matching the original folder structure. Again one could change the code, but it does what I want, nothing more.

John

Manoli

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2014, 10:33:56 am »

John, I understand the potential issues which is why I mentioned simply .. the idea being to avoid any post-conversion options, filters, renaming etc

Any chance of publishing a downloadable version of your plug-in?

rogan

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2014, 12:11:21 pm »

I would tend to agree ... there are very legitimate reasons for shooting RAW ... but  ... if you are shooting high volume, under fixed and controlled lighting conditions ... and ... your client is expecting to receive jpeg files immediately following the shoot ... there really is little reason to waste all the time, energy and space for RAW. Especially when you are using cameras that can create a 36MP image ... Heck I've know wedding shooters that pounded out millions of jpegs from 6-8MP cameras that would rival most folks shooting RAW.

For myself, I shoot RAW on almost every job, except when I have the criteria mentioned above (high volume, controlled shoot, immediate delivery) then I shoot jpeg ...

If you are getting it right before you trip the shutter, and the client is expecting jpeg anyway ... there is little need to go to all the trouble.

I also agree with John ... sending multiple smaller, simultaneous batches to export will speed things up. Unfortunately, in Lightroom, export is not multi-threaded so as to allow users to continue work on another project while the first project is exporting.

Too bad they don't allow for a preference setting to devote all resources to a large export when needed.

Another idea is not to wait until the very end of the day to export the entire job, export smaller batches as you go along ...

Guys,
 The jpegs are for editing only. The client takes them home, edits and sometimes shows them to clients for approval. Then the raw is retouched. The finals are for major billboard and ad campaigns that have tons of post work. Jpeg isn't an option. Period. In the end one or two images is all that is chosen. Sometimes more but usually one or 2.
 As to export during the day, you are at your clients command. Sometimes at the end of the day they want to add tweaks to color, contrast etc and then get them exported. Every job is different. What I do know is LR could be improved and be better than it is......LR has some advantages, C1 has some advantages. I was posting here as some Adobe people do read this and I wanted to catch their ear as to what I need(maybe not everyone else)
It just seems to me if LR is already making the previews why not be able to export them as oppose to go back to the raw. C1 has a feature that I can go from the raw or just export a quick jpeg from the previews.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 12:13:52 pm by rogan »

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2014, 12:22:00 pm »

Any chance of publishing a downloadable version of your plug-in?

Probably not as it's pretty rough and just does something specific for my own needs.

Manoli

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2014, 12:25:43 pm »

I understand - but thanks for the input, anyway.

jferrari

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2014, 10:22:22 pm »

I'm an advertising photographer that shoots people.

Pretty sure there are laws against that. :D
Nothing changes until something changes.

Robert-Peter Westphal

• Nature-Photography Westphal
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2014, 03:45:33 am »

Hello,

that's all very interesting, but Hans initial question ' where is Lightroom 6' is still not answered !

And I add that I've got the feeling that the guys who should know like Jeff, Madmanchan, Thomas Knoll, etc. make themselves scarce. At least it's been a long time since I have read anything written by them.

Robert
'visit my completly renewed gallery at http://www.naturfotografie-westphal.com '

Tony Jay

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2014, 04:50:23 am »

Robert, what exactly are you expecting??

Anyone who really knows is bound by a non-disclosure agreement and everybody else is just speculating - pissing in the breeze so to speak.
There is no answer to this question.

Tony Jay

Simon Garrett

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2014, 05:08:29 am »

Quite.  Those that know won't say and those that say don't know. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up