Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Atlas of Street Photography  (Read 34904 times)

amolitor

Re: The World Atlas of Street Photography
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2014, 07:07:58 pm »

I have come to the conclusion that many people actually cannot see what, for example, Cartier-Bresson was doing. If they have any sensitivity to art they may perceive that there's something going on, but they lack the vocabulary of design and composition to really see it.

Since most photographers today are in fact camera enthusiasts, sensitivity to art is not really a given.

So, for various reasons, because they cannot articulate what is different, they lump all black and white pictures of people in as 'street'

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2014, 09:46:29 pm »

I'm afraid you're right.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Isaac

« Reply #62 on: October 21, 2014, 01:08:44 pm »

It sounds as if everybody thinks I'm saying this is a lousy book.

Your "review" is titled "A Severe Disappointment".

The only thing positive in the "review" is a grudging "…and though there are some good photographs in this book…".

As russ states you can't review something you haven't read?

I have read Russ's review.

I bought the book based on a five star revue in the Amateur photographer UK.

Did Amateur Photographer magazine say the book included photographs of "urban landscapes, portraits and staged performances" ?

The Amazon description says "…including classic documentary street photography as well as mediated images of urban landscapes, staged performances, and sculpture. Twelve specially commissioned artworks are featured, in addition to a wide selection of striking and well-known images of city life."

Are there any maps at all?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 05:45:41 pm by Isaac »

RSL

« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2014, 04:13:29 pm »

Good boy! Now read the book and you might be able to make a connection.

stamper

« Reply #64 on: October 22, 2014, 03:54:19 am »

Your "review" is titled "A Severe Disappointment".

The only thing positive in the "review" is a grudging "…and though there are some good photographs in this book…".

Did Amateur Photographer magazine say the book included photographs of "urban landscapes, portraits and staged performances" ?

The Amazon description says "…including classic documentary street photography as well as mediated images of urban landscapes, staged performances, and sculpture. Twelve specially commissioned artworks are featured, in addition to a wide selection of striking and well-known images of city life."

Are there any maps at all?

If you buy a map of your own you may be able to find the way to a book store where they might have a copy of the book that you can purchase and then read it and make up your own mind, instead of berating others who have purchased a copy. Of course if you do so then it is harder to carry on trolling? ;) ::)

RSL

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »

You just can't stop beating your head against the wall, can you Isaac?

stamper

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2014, 03:37:47 am »

berate: to criticize or speak in an angry manner to someone

Do you think Russ berates in his "review"?

Russ seems puzzled that "everybody thinks [he's] saying this is a lousy book" but his "review" describes "A Severe Disappointment" so there's really nothing to be puzzled about. That may be an inconvenient truth but is not an angry criticism.

All the descriptions I've seen so-far make it clear that the book includes a wide range of photography, not just street photography. Even the sample of photographs Slobodan provided says "Ranging from staged portraiture and classic documentary to impromptu snapshots of daily life around the globe…".

So when you tell us that you bought the book based on a review in Amateur Photographer magazine; the obvious question is did the magazine also make it clear that the book includes a wide range of photography, not just street photography.

I've been a map-maker, I'm interested in maps; but nothing I've seen so-far about this "Atlas" mentions any maps?

That is because you haven't bought the book??? :o

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2014, 08:10:45 am »

I've been a map-maker, I'm interested in maps; but nothing I've seen so-far about this "Atlas" mentions any maps?

You aren't obliged to be helpful, but please stop reading-between-the-lines what isn't there.

I think you will find many books that claim to be an Atlas of something - quite normal - it's not just for maps. 

I did map-making too - in the Scouts.

Jim

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #68 on: October 24, 2014, 01:56:42 am »

PERSEVERATION: An inability to switch ideas along with the social context, as evidenced by the repetition of words or gestures after they have ceased to be socially relevant or appropriate.
Psych General

I  go away, and then come back after almost 3 weeks and, unsurprisingly, the same actors are repeating the same script over and over again.

Isaac

« Reply #69 on: October 24, 2014, 12:53:04 pm »

…repeating the same script over and over again.

When you went away, I wrongly thought that Russ's review described "The World Atlas of Street Photography" as "A Severe Disappointment" because he has his own notion of what street photography has to be.

Now that it's obvious publishers and book-sellers promote the book as including "images of urban landscapes, staged performances, and sculpture", we can simply say -- Don't judge a book by it's title!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up