Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: The World Atlas of Street Photography  (Read 34871 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: The World Atlas of Street Photography
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2014, 12:38:26 pm »

It would be interesting to see the web site. I don't see a link in his profile. I think he prefers to be a sniper....rather than a shooter?
The reference was to Russ, not Isaac.

As they say in Canada, "Eh?" There are two web links in my profile, Slobodan.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2014, 01:01:45 pm »

The reference was to Russ, not Isaac.

As they say in Canada, "Eh?" There are two web links in my profile, Slobodan.

Stamper was thinking Rip was referring to Isaac. That's why Stamper said "I don't see a link in his profile."

ripgriffith

• ripsart.com
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2014, 02:47:28 pm »

In other words, Rip, you're like Isaac: you don't really have the background to get into this subject. I have at least part of my own background on display with an annotated bibliography, two web sites, and two articles on the subject. Anybody can claim to "have literally thousands." Claiming it doesn't make it so.
As I said, I'm not playing your game.

RSL

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »

As I said, I'm not playing your game.

Not sure what game you're talking about, but it's clear you're not any better qualified to discuss street photography than Isaac is.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 05:00:59 pm by RSL »

stamper

« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2014, 03:26:45 am »

Stamper was thinking Rip was referring to Isaac. That's why Stamper said "I don't see a link in his profile."

Thanks for that. It wasn't wholly clear who he was referring to. I thought it must have been Isaac because Russ's credentials with regards to street is clearly evident.

stamper

« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2014, 03:34:44 am »

Does the book claim to be limited to Russ's narrow view of what street photography is?

That is impossible because the book was written before Russ critiqued it???? I have other books on street that are more attuned to Russ's way of thinking. The book that is the topic of debate is certainly a wider definition of street. I think it is meant to attract a wider audience as a way of marketing. It has 399 pages with dozens of contributors therefore it is wide ranging in it's opinions and beliefs. However I can see where Russ is coming from.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2014, 12:17:32 pm »

... Russ doesn't own the phrase "street photography".

Not until he trademarks it, then all bets are off ;)

After all, someone apparently claims a trademark on the word "how"... no, seriously:

Chobani is accused of violating ‘how’ trademark with its marketing campaign

RSL

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2014, 03:28:58 pm »

No point in getting into this crap, Slobodan. Since Isaac hasn't even seen the book it's obvious on the face of it he hasn't a clue on the subject. He's just rattling on.

jwstl

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2014, 04:18:59 pm »

I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be a thoughtful, intelligent discussion of the merits of this book. My mistake. No need to follow this waste of time thread.

mezzoduomo

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2014, 04:26:10 pm »

I clicked on this thread thinking it was going to be a thoughtful, intelligent discussion of the merits of this book. My mistake. No need to follow this waste of time thread.

Same as it ever was.

RSL

« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2014, 11:05:37 am »

Your complaint about the book will still be your complaint about the book after I've read it - It ain't what Russ call's Street Photography - it's what the author calls Street Photography.

Isaac, instead of just rattling your head about something you know nothing about, go buy the book, then go to page 170, describe the picture you see there and tell us all what that picture has to do with street photography. I picked that one at random. If explaining the relevance to street photography of that picture isn't within your capabilities there are dozens more I can ask you to critique. Away you go. Off to the bookstore.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2014, 12:09:13 pm »

This thread reminds me of medieval scholastic debates on how many teeth a horse has. The guy who suggested to just open a horse's mouth* and count it got beaten for being uneducated and unworthy of academic discussion.

* or just read the damn book first

RSL

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 05:02:29 pm »

What that picture has to do with your narrow view of street photography or with the authors broader view of street photography?

No, your view of street photography. You've never told us what that is. Reading the book might help you clarify your ideas. You obviously have strong convictions on the subject but you haven't bothered to tell us what they are. You can read mine at the URL's I posted earlier. I have no idea at all what yours are. I think that a critique of the picture on the page I referenced would tell us a lot about your competence in this area.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 10:51:24 am by RSL »

RSL

« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 01:24:23 pm »

Then I guess you'll have to read the book to find out. Until you do, your opinion is based on ignorance.

I'm finished trying to talk about this with you, Isaac, until you've got the book in hand, you've turned to page 170, you've described the picture you see there, and you've explained how you feel this picture fits the street photography genre. Until then, anything you say about the subject is froth.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 04:55:45 pm by RSL »

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2014, 07:52:45 am »

It's a label -- some will apply it broadly, some narrowly. Some will use the label as a way to dismiss other peoples photographs.
'Street photography' is such a vague term. My general take on 'street' is that it's unposed photos in public places [which can be indoors like a market or cafe], but like news do tell some sort of story. As opposed to simply being a photo of someone, i.e. a portrait. If images do not contain people, then they show aspects of humanity - such as say graffiti commenting on a billboard or maybe people's shadows. Obviously genres portait/news/street/documentary etc can overlap.
Whether the pictures are good or bad is a completely separate issue.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Isaac

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2014, 06:54:51 pm »

…unposed photos in public places…

…Avedon's Paris photographs from the late 1940s emphasize the inspiration city streets afforded the young American photographer and are an unapologetic demonstration of street photographs as controlled art, one that necessarily requires us to reconceive the work's process and eventual context.

page 21 Unfamiliar Streets: The Photographs of Richard Avedon, Charles Moore, Martha Rosler, and Philip-Lorca DiCorcia

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2014, 06:05:17 am »

I do think this whole thread is just about Isaac baiting Russ because they cannot stand each other. However.

I think that trying to define 'Street Photography' becomes as pointless as trying to define landscape, portrait or wildlife.  As a keen amateur (as well as professional) I come across this attempt to categorise pictures all the time.  Loose categories are quite handy to express what you are talking about - but being pedantic about them seems fruitless as far as I'm concerned.  Some of the questions I get asked are -

Portraits.
Does the subject have to be looking at the camera.
Is it a portrait if you photograph the back of their head.
What if they are very small in the picture
What if they are unaware you are photographing them.

Landscapes.
Suppose it is mostly sea.
Do towns and buildings count.
How close up do you have to be before it becomes a macro.

These are all the sort of questions there will be a wide range of views on.  I have done what I consider 'street photography', but I don't like to be constrained by a subjective straitjacket over what it should be.  I've not seen the book in question but would not comment on it having not read it.  If I contemplated buying it I would certainly put substantial weight on a purchase decision based on any review by Russ - but as with all reviews I would use my own discretion and balance all reviews.

Lastly - I certainly think that any poster here who wants to be taken seriously should certainly be prepared to share their own work - especially as most of us have done so.

The two attached pictures are the sort of thing I like to shoot - amongst others, but would not want to categorise them.  One is candid and the other with interaction.

Jim

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2014, 11:10:23 am »

Isaac if you are trying make to point, say what the point is rather than quoting someone else.
This 'quote' from you shows as  blank as you appeared to say nothing.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

RSL

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2014, 11:49:47 am »

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan pointed out: "You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts." Unfortunately, Mr. Moynihan left out an important corollary: If you know absolutely nothing about a subject you're not entitled to an opinion on that subject.

The subject of this thread, as stated in the OP's opening post, is whether or not my critique of The World Atlas of Street Photography fits the facts. In order to have a right to an opinion on that subject you have to have done two things: (1) You have to have read the book, and (2) you have to have read the critique. The OP has satisfied the second requirement, but he hasn't seen the book. Therefore, he isn't entitled to an opinion.

But the same thing goes for most of the other posters in the thread. It appears Stamper and I are the only two people who've looked at the book. Therefore Stamper and I are in a position to have a discussion about the book and the relevance of my critique. None of the other posters are in that position.

James Clark

« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2014, 10:04:34 pm »

As Daniel Patrick Moynihan pointed out: "You're entitled to your own opinion, but you're not entitled to your own facts." Unfortunately, Mr. Moynihan left out an important corollary: If you know absolutely nothing about a subject you're not entitled to an opinion on that subject.

Indeed, but you do tend to drift perilously close to the idea that your *opinion* about street photography objective fact.  It's not.   It's frequently well-reasoned opinion, and consistent opinion, but opinions that diverge from yours are not, by definition, factually incorrect.  I don't agree, for example, with your oft-stated assertion that ambiguity is critical to any "street" image (unless your definition of ambiguity and mine are radically different.). Instead I would offer that visual irony can substitute for ambiguity, for example.  

But no, I haven't read the book.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up