Apparently, one of us is missing something because I still fail to understand the advantage of buying a 60" printer for double the price if one is always going to print on 44" rolls, so please you help me out.
I didn't say "always print on 44" rolls". I said "So the added cost of a 60" printer over a 44" one is a drop in the bucket, and a wise investment if you've got the room, even if you'll put 44" rolls in it
most of the time." Bold added.
Let's say only 10% of your jobs need the 60" paper, but that's business you'd have to turn away if you bought only a 44" printer. You don't want your customers getting used to going to a competitor, but even setting that aside, if you buy $100,000 worth of ink over the life of the printer, the total cost to you is $104,200 for the 44" printer and $108,000 for the 60" printer. If you sell your prints for 5 times the ink and amortized printer cost, by spending an extra $3800 for an 11880 over a 9880, you'll make about $50,000 more in sales over the life of the printer, and say once labor and paper are taken into account, say, $25,000 more gross profit. This all assumes that buying a larger printer and two widths of paper doesn't affect your overhaed much.
All the numbers above, except for the printer prices, are just SWAGs, but you get the idea, I hope.
Jim