Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The NX1. It's more amazing than we thought. Stunned.  (Read 8035 times)

Osprey

Re: The NX1. It's more amazing than we thought. Stunned.
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2014, 12:31:11 am »

Samsung is surely big enough to license all of the manufacturing they want from a major optical house.  If Sony can go to Zeiss, Samsung can go to Schneider, or who knows, maybe even Samyang.

But in the meantime, remember that they introduced two pro-spec zooms along with this camera.  The 16-50 f/2-2.8 (yes, f/2 to f/2.8) and a 50-150 constant f/2.8, both extensively weather-sealed.  It will be interesting to see how these perform.

Samsung must have owned or had the license from Schneider at some point.  The lens on my crappy film Samsung P&S was badged Schneider, and so were the rebadged Pentax SLR lenses from a few years ago and that's been several decades of Schneider connection.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 12:35:02 am by Osprey »

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2014, 01:32:20 am »

Hi,

I would say that was a very bad case of rebadging, guess that Schneider lost some credibility, not that Pentax lenses are bad.

Best regards
Erik

Samsung must have owned or had the license from Schneider at some point.  The lens on my crappy film Samsung P&S was badged Schneider, and so were the rebadged Pentax SLR lenses from a few years ago and that's been several decades of Schneider connection.
Erik Kaffehr

jeffreybehr

• Happily retired accountant
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2014, 03:20:23 am »

Fascinating.

It is quite another to develop an entire system of lenses to place overtop of that sensor, which is an area they have zero real experience in: lens production.

Jack

A few years ago I owned a Samsung NX20-based system for a year or so, having tired of my 'heavy', largish Canon 5D-based system that included all-L-series lenses.  I was VERY satisfied with the three Samsung lenses I bought, including a telezoom, a 60mm macro lens, and a short-to-mid-zoom I remember little about...except that I was very pleased with the results thru ALL THREE lenses.  The camera turned out to be too small for my mediumish hands, and I replaced it with a Canon 6D-based system and some of the same lenses I had sold maybe 1-1/2 years earlier.  I'm pleased to see that the new NX1 is somewhat larger than the NX20 (and somewhat smaller and lighter than my current Sony a99).

My a99-based system includes two excellent Sony/Zeiss zooms, the 16-35 and 24-70 (both 2.8s), and a Sony telezoom.  I'm quite satisfied with all of this, but if Sony doesn't introduce a hirez replacement for the a99 in the 1st half of next year, I'll be very tempted to evaluate an NX1 system, and I expect I'll be just as happy with the optical results of the new Samsung lenses and body as I was with the NX20 system.

Time will tell, but one thing I know now--at US$1500 RR for the body, it's NOT expensive.   :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 01:54:32 am by jeffreybehr »

jwstl

« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2014, 12:04:42 pm »

The Samsung 16-50 2/2.8 has been out for a number of months. I've been using it on an NX30 for quite awhile and I'm happy with its performance. The Samsung 30 f/2 pancake, 60 Macro, and 85 1.4 are also excellent performers. The NX30 body produces excellent images at lower ISOs but it isn't great at anything above 800 or so. I'm looking forward to trying these lenses on the NX1 which should considerably better high ISO performance. I hope it lives up to the hype and the specs.

BJL

« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2014, 02:58:21 pm »

I was VERY satisfied with the three Samsung lenses I bought ...
AFAIK, the Samsung DSLR lenses were rebadged Pentax lenses, or Tamron lenses rebadged by both Pentax and Sony.

So perhaps the real point is that Samsung can outsource some quite good lenses, at least for the lens types that sell in large enough numbers that third party makers like Sigma and Tamron offer them.  The distinction of a high-end professional system might be more about how good an array of specialized, expensive high end lenses it can offer.

Telecaster

« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2014, 04:41:56 pm »

So perhaps the real point is that Samsung can outsource some quite good lenses, at least for the lens types that sell in large enough numbers that third party makers like Sigma and Tamron offer them. The distinction of a high-end professional system might be more about how good an array of specialized, expensive high end lenses it can offer.

If I were Samsung I wouldn't waste my time & energy now on tilt/shifts, big telephotos & the like. They're not gonna attract the pros & dentists, if ever, until they establish a solid, high-quality lineup that appeals to such folks as a secondary system. Over-deliver on that front and get your foot in the door.

-Dave-

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2014, 04:54:01 pm »

I see those huge collections of lenses (e.g., Canon, Nikon) as somewhat similar to cable TV offerings: they tend to outdo the competition with "we have 200 channels," "yes, but we have 400 channels." etc. In reality, I spend one or two hours in the evening watching cable, and that means only a few channels at most. And 80-90% of time it is the same few channels.

The same goes with lenses. Yes, it if fantastic to have such a vast choice of lenses, but ultimately, in reality, you only have or need a few. Those two or three high-quality lenses Samsung is offering now cover 24-230 range, where 80% of our photography happens. Unless you are in the niche market for super macro or super telephoto, of course.

allegretto

« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2014, 07:52:26 pm »

I see those huge collections of lenses (e.g., Canon, Nikon) as somewhat similar to cable TV offerings: they tend to outdo the competition with "we have 200 channels," "yes, but we have 400 channels." etc. In reality, I spend one or two hours in the evening watching cable, and that means only a few channels at most. And 80-90% of time it is the same few channels.

The same goes with lenses. Yes, it if fantastic to have such a vast choice of lenses, but ultimately, in reality, you only have or need a few. Those two or three high-quality lenses Samsung is offering now cover 24-230 range, where 80% of our photography happens. Unless you are in the niche market for super macro or super telephoto, of course.

Not me, I'm an Artist…

I only leave home with 15mm and 300mm lenses. Guess the Samsung won't cut it with me and my Dentist friends

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2014, 08:13:43 pm »

Not me, I'm an Artist…

I only leave home with 15mm and 300mm lenses. Guess the Samsung won't cut it with me and my Dentist friends

Then you are in luck... even your dentist friends will be mightily impressed: ;)

« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:56:55 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2014, 09:36:32 pm »

Then you are in luck... even you dentist friends will be mightily impressed: ;)

Well, if that 10 is 15 then the 300 is also 450 so no 300 for the dentists

Glenn NK

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2014, 09:50:32 pm »

That's true (and isn't there always a but  ;D) :

While I mainly use three lenses out of the five I have, they are quite likely a different three or four that you use; and the next guy may well use a different three or four.

It's possible, but I'd be surprised if Canon/Nikon just came up with different f/stops, FLs, etc just to expand their range of lenses for bragging rights.  I would have thought that the selection was based on probable demand.

My comment on a single zoom covering a range that wide:  I've always read that a zoom lens that covers a range ratio of more than four or five is not usually a great lens (24-230 is a ratio of 9.6:1 - a bit of a stretch).

Cheers,

Glenn
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 09:52:38 pm by Glenn NK »
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2014, 11:25:14 pm »

... My comment on a single zoom covering a range that wide:  I've always read that a zoom lens that covers a range ratio of more than four or five is not usually a great lens (24-230 is a ratio of 9.6:1 - a bit of a stretch)...

Correct. However, I said "two or three lenses" cover that range. The two are: 16-50/2-2.8 and 50-150/2.8, and he third is a inside that range (85/1.4).

allegretto

« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2014, 11:56:14 pm »

Then you are in luck... even you dentist friends will be mightily impressed: ;)

Great…!!!

The logo on my refrigerator will now match my camera…

Those fools at Canon don't know how to make a good refrigerator …

How… liberating…. Now the 300 becomes a 450 but no problem… I'll just take a couple steps back…

Dr. Panji will want to borrow my camera… not a chance… Oh, Happy Day…

Slobo… you're just a miracle man….
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:23:12 am by allegretto »

Glenn NK

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2014, 12:04:58 am »

Correct. However, I said "two or three lenses" cover that range. The two are: 16-50/2-2.8 and 50-150/2.8, and he third is a inside that range (85/1.4).

Quite correct, I misread your intention.  Sorry about that.

Now remove my last paragraph; and comment about the number of lenses offered by Canon/Nikon.

Cheers,

G
Economics:  the study of achieving infinite growth with finite resources

Telecaster

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2014, 12:08:38 am »

It's possible, but I'd be surprised if Canon/Nikon just came up with different f/stops, FLs, etc just to expand their range of lenses for bragging rights. I would have thought that the selection was based on probable demand.

Nikon certainly leapt out of the gate with an extensive lens lineup for the original F camera. But most of the high-speed stuff came later, no doubt due to user requests. OTOH they did make some exotics like the massive ~1000mm reflexes and crazy wide fisheyes…I have to think some of those were results of "look what we can do!" rather than responses to user needs or wants. There was some one-upping going on with Canon too, which went back to the 1950s and the "Who can make the fastest 50mm lens?" contest. (Michael owns, or at least has recently used, a copy of the winner: Canon's 50/0.95 for their rangefinder system.)

More recently it seems to me Olympus made the mistake of producing a line of big, fast, lovely lenses for their Four-Thirds SLRs that not many owners of those cameras were interested in. I hope Samsung made note of this.

-Dave-

MarkL

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2014, 08:01:43 am »

The spec list is seriously impressive and if it lives up to it might just be the shakeup the dslr manufs need.

My main worry is that my samsung phone has three screens of crapware I cannot install without rooting it and my TV has a ridiculous UI where noises each time I press a button cannot be turned off so my main fear is this camera may be a technical marvel but unusable.

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2014, 08:50:30 am »

A few years ago when m-4/3s systems hit the market, one of the criticisms against them was the poor choice of lenses. You don't hear that any longer.

If Samsung is serious about their camera line, and so far they seem to be, they'll end up building the lenses that people want to buy.
--
Robert

LKaven

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2014, 12:37:43 pm »

Nikon certainly leapt out of the gate with an extensive lens lineup for the original F camera.

Nikon started as an optical company and made it's international reputation beginning with a line of LTM lenses that were praised by photojournalists shooting with Leicas at the time.  They had a proud engineering culture, and you can see that from their "thousand and one nights" feature page.

This also made them a little quirky.  They were into discovering things.  The 75-150/3.5E is an amazing lens with a beautiful look that exploited an inherent sweet spot in the optical design space.  They loved this kind of stuff.

And the F was a lovingly conceived marvel of both design and engineering.  To this day, it's still the camera that my fingers want most. 

It's hard to get that kind of mojo in the era of computer-aided design. 
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up