Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss lens on Canon / Live View = underexposed  (Read 1337 times)

Mark_Seng

Zeiss lens on Canon / Live View = underexposed
« on: September 26, 2014, 03:35:42 am »

I just bought a Zeiss/Contax 35mm pc lens an now have troubles with the exposure simulation when using live view.
Its about 4 stops underexposed. I`m using a 6d and a non chipped Contax/Canon Adapter. Does anyone here have the same issue?

marc aurel

Re: Zeiss lens on Canon / Live View = underexposed
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:02:42 am »

Hi Mark,

I guess you work in manual mode? Switch to aperture priority mode and live view will be fine. The disadvantage is that the camera changes exposure time dependant on what it thinks is right. You have to watch carefully to get the exposure you want.
But this is a problem you have with every lens that has no chip to tell the camera which aperture is set (not only old manual lenses - even the new Schneider PC-TS lenses for about 5000,-€ do not have a chip which is ridiculous in my eyes). The chipping of the adapter could be a workaround (I never tried but I think Dandelion makes such chips). You can program them to tell the camera all it needs to know. Then liveview should work in manual mode too. But I am not sure if they fit with one of the available Contax to EF adapters.

I am curious: does anyone here use such a chip with the PC-Distagon?

Marc
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 04:04:17 am by marc aurel »

Mark_Seng

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:00:40 am »

Marc, thank you
I just tested a friends manual nikon lens with a chipped haoda adapter on the canon. With that combination it is possible to "set the aperture" on the camera.
As long as it is set to "wide open" the exposure simulation in live view is on point, regardless which aperture is really set on the lens!   
I guess a chipped adapter will solve the issue with the contax lens too.
Of course I also would like to hear some first hand experiences...
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 06:53:34 am by Mark_Seng »

allegretto

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 05:02:53 pm »

have a 6D and use the Schenider 50mm TS.

Manual works fine so long as you use the camera's meter and stop down to take your exposure info.

The Schneider has a pre-diaphram sort of set up where you set the aperture but still stay wide open to focus. You then close a second ring that actually stops the lens to the pre-set f-stop. So you can think your aperture is set but end up shooting at f 2.8 anyway. It's easier than it sounds, but it's one more thing to to check.

Setting it to Av is no help since the camera does not know what the lens is set to.

marc aurel

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 03:49:04 pm »

have a 6D and use the Schenider 50mm TS.

Manual works fine so long as you use the camera's meter and stop down to take your exposure info.

The Schneider has a pre-diaphram sort of set up where you set the aperture but still stay wide open to focus. You then close a second ring that actually stops the lens to the pre-set f-stop. So you can think your aperture is set but end up shooting at f 2.8 anyway. It's easier than it sounds, but it's one more thing to to check.

Setting it to Av is no help since the camera does not know what the lens is set to.

Thanks for your explanantion. But I'm confused. I tried a Schneider PC-TS 50mm a while ago. And what I saw was that the live view image was underexposed compared to what I see with a Canon lens (no matter if I used the Schneider with the blue pre-diaphragm ring set to wide open or to my chosen aperture). Of course I can find a workaround to set the right exposure. But I would love to see the image in live view exposed as it is without a workaround - like with every other lens. I was disappointed and thought: they charge so much money for these lenses. Why don't they try to make it as easy as possible for their customers? Why not put a chip inside for some cents?
Or did I miss something and just did not know how to handle it?

Best regards - Marc
Pages: [1]   Go Up