Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Woman Who Wasn't There  (Read 6952 times)

michael

The Woman Who Wasn't There
« on: September 22, 2014, 07:24:44 am »

This topic is for discussion of the image and commentary found in Michael's Phlog titled The Woman Who Wasn't There.

movinglight

• Copyrightimage
Re: The Woman Who Wasn't There
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:31:21 am »

Hi Michael,
Love the image, I interpreted the title being due the artist wearing headphones and therefore not "being there"
I love street photography because you do need to concentrate and tune into what is in front of you, cant imagine doing it whilst listening to music!
I do play music when retouching though, it helps to inject some mood in an image (the louder/brasher the music the more dramatic the contrast/colour/tone turns out.

All the best

Stephen

michael

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 08:40:40 am »

Stephan,

I agree about not listing to music when I'm shooting. I need my full concentration.

I don't even play the car radio when driving and looking for locations and images. I want to be immersed in the experience.

But, I do listen to music when I'm editing and printing.

Michael

Ron Trimarchi

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:22:47 pm »

Just curious Michael, what kind of music do you listen to?

Daniel Mitchel

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:45:29 pm »

I like the contrast of the railroad catenary support column superimposed over the graceful spires of the cathedral.  The medieval church is obscured, almost caught in a wire web.  Having visited the site and been greatly disappointed at the encroachment of the city upon the cathedral, the secular disdain for the sacred in the modern EU is aptly visualized in the image.  If memory serves, there is a parking lot tunneled under the cathedral.  To paraphrase Joni Mitchell, "dug out a catacomb, put in a parking lot..."

Michael, that is a delightful comment about the painter "Ahh the freedom..."

It would be interesting to see the image in color.  I think the artist's canvas would stand out in a different way, and the graffiti would be more prominent; perhaps not an improvement.

Thank you for posting the image.
DM

michael

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 04:31:16 pm »

Just curious Michael, what kind of music do you listen to?

My tastes are rather eclectic...classical (especially Baroque and choral), jazz (Monk, Brubeck), rock (from the 60's and 70's mostly).

M

LesPalenik

• advantica blog
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 05:14:17 pm »

Between reading the title of the picture and the actual phlog,  I naively assumed that Michael used his artistic freedom to place a female painter into that street scene. Well seen!

It gave me an idea. Just have to find some painter whom I can drop into a lakeside scene.

pdp11

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 05:23:20 pm »

I like this photo,
I tried several times to photograph working painters, obtaining often images without interest.
I love the presence/absence of the woman, the contrast between church and the web, between painting and graffiti, the noise/music/silence in the image.

Pietro
 ;)

mbaginy

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:02:01 am »

An pleasant image.  I've passed that spot many times, mainly on weekends (I live in Bonn, just a few miles south of Cologne).  I immediately spotted the familiar shape of the cathederal in your photo.  I enjoy spending time photographing scenes between the Hauptbahnhof and Rhein River.

I agree about the fairly drab downtown area - many architectural mistakes were made in the 50s and 60s.  City fathers wanted to create a modern city mainly for automobile traffic.  I hope you enjoyed the Photokina!  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to visit.

John Hue

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2014, 12:50:01 pm »

Hi, love the image as well !

What struck me immediately was the obviousness of the wires, straight lines perpendicular to the cathedral's. I was already impressed that the image worked with all the clutter, as I never seem to manage to produce a good image in such conditions, but then I saw that the painter had included the wires in his printing as well.

What I like with this picture is that it makes you question the intent of both the photographer, the painter and yours as viewer/photographer. You wrote about the freedom of the painters, yet he chose not to remove the wires from the picture, as did you, and I may not even have taken the shot.

This will make me think twice in the future !
Pages: [1]   Go Up