Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My Nikon D3s is under and/or over exposing.  (Read 6432 times)

iaent

• Yogendra Singh Photography
My Nikon D3s is under and/or over exposing.
« on: September 20, 2014, 02:45:11 pm »

Friends,
My Nikon D3S is under and over exposing even in matrix mode, I tried all 3. This problem has started just few days back. I tried exposure compensation but it doesn't work because then it goes in different direction. This happens even if I am not shooting direct into the Sun. I also tried to focus on highlights but still problem. Pls advise. Thanks in advance.

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: My Nikon D3s is under and/or over exposing.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:36:10 pm »

I've had the same problem with many of my Nikon bodies, too. It is usually that auto bracketing is set and I forget to cancel and thus the exposure goes over and under until I catch it a few frames down the line.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 10:47:14 am »

I've had the same problem with many of my Nikon bodies, too. It is usually that auto bracketing is set and I forget to cancel and thus the exposure goes over and under until I catch it a few frames down the line.

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt!

I have many bad habits, but the worst is picking up a camera, starting to shoot and never checking what settings I left it on last time out.
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

iaent

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 03:26:55 am »

No brother,
Auto bracketing, auto ISO is turned off. I checked in live mode and exposure doesn't change automatically. There gotta be some other issue/setting.

I checked again, even when I set my center focus point on brightest part my highlights are blown.
I have a d5200 also and it doesn't blow highlights when focussed on a bright point.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 03:33:26 am by iaent »

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2014, 04:22:18 am »

I've had problems with Nikon D3 exposures myself and they all seem to be centred on the one lens, a 24 -85mm and although it usually works well there is no guarantee you'll get the exposure you were expecting which is a bit of a pain as it's the one I use 90% of the time. A forum member kindly suggested that it's a matter of fixing the contacts but I am rather heavy handed so have left well alone for now. I do wonder though whether it might not be a genuine lens, it has a serial number alright and the box etc, but that's still no guarantee. The two longer zooms (one a Sigma) seem to be fine with hardly ever a problem that's not due to my incorrectly setting the camera.

When the camera starts making a series of mistakes in exposing I find that returning it to factory settings seems to clear the bind that the body has got itself into (assuming it's not just the lens).
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 06:16:10 am by Justinr »

langier

• Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2014, 10:20:55 am »

When I saw the posting it dawned on me--I didn't think that this could be a lens problem but that's another posibility.

I bought a flea-market Micro-Nikkor with a sticky aperture which needed the lube cleaned up. A known issue shooting DSLRs shooting time lapse is inconsistent stopdown since this is mechanical.

If the problem is with several lenses, it's a body issue. If it is with one lens, that the problem.
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

iaent

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2014, 04:51:24 am »

I have changed lenses, but this problem continues. has anyone resolved this problem yet?

Justinr

• Ink+images
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 06:55:58 pm »

Today I took the D3 and an a Mamiya AFDll to shoot a couple of tractors at the same place under the same lighting conditions. To cut a long story short the AFD exposed almost flawlessly when set to shutter priority while the Nikon was all over the shop when it too was set to shutter priority.

Other than being cropped both of these were straight out of the camera. The yellow tractor is out of the Nikon and the red from the Mamiya. I actually deleted some of the Nikon images, this was by no means the worse.

sniper

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 09:10:23 am »

The lighting isn't the same on both shots, ones more or less backlit, the other has the sun on it. and some camera meters will over compensate for different colours too.  You need to do the same shot exactly to test them out.
What happens if you put the camera on a tripod and shoot 20 pics of exactly the same shot, do they vary at all?

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 03:40:08 pm »

Friends,
My Nikon D3S is under and over exposing even in matrix mode, I tried all 3. This problem has started just few days back. I tried exposure compensation but it doesn't work because then it goes in different direction. This happens even if I am not shooting direct into the Sun. I also tried to focus on highlights but still problem. Pls advise. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what 'goes in different direction' means, but if the error is not consistent, then it becomes really hard to diagnose.  Have you tried a factory reset to defaults using the ISO and WB buttons?  There may be some setting somewhere hosing you up.

Not sure if Nikon's have a 'hard' reboot capability...something like an HP calculator with a specific sequence of buttons that will actually reboot it from dead.
Pages: [1]   Go Up