Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Advice on moving from ACR/Lightroom to Capture One Pro 8  (Read 10253 times)

Ligament

Advice on moving from ACR/Lightroom to Capture One Pro 8
« on: September 20, 2014, 01:49:20 pm »

Howdy,

I shoot primarily landscape, some street, some candids. Mostly Nikon D810/D800e, Ricoh GR, Sigma DPM series. Mostly available light. Non studio.

I've never felt GREAT about the colors I can pull out of ACR/Lightroom. Most likely it is just me and my eyes, I admit that.

I'm going to trial Capture One Pro 8 for RAW development, with sharpening in Photoshop using Focus Magic and micro contrast enhancement with Topaz Detail 3.

Any tips on making the RAW development transition from ACR engine to C1P?

jjj

• http://www.futtfuttfuttphotography.com
Re: Advice on moving from ACR/Lightroom to Capture One Pro 8
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 03:34:35 pm »

Have you used the calibration panel and the camera presets in LR/ACR? They can make a big difference to the colours.

As for C1, there's no transition from one to the other as such, you simply edit your pics in C1 instead. Your LR/ACR settings are not recognised if that's what you mean.
Tradition is the Backbone of the Spinele

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:15:02 pm »

It's a very selfish suggestion, but an honest one: get training.

Whether it's the free video series by Phase One on YouTube, our capture one webinars or in person classes or asking a local digital tech or assistant to give you some lessons in exchange for beer.

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 02:27:32 pm »

Have you used the calibration panel and the camera presets in LR/ACR? They can make a big difference to the colours.

As for C1, there's no transition from one to the other as such, you simply edit your pics in C1 instead. Your LR/ACR settings are not recognised if that's what you mean.

Not actually true.

You can import your Lightroom catalog retaining may of the image adjustments, ratings and metadata if you wish.
David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

jjj

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 07:20:34 pm »

Not actually true.

You can import your Lightroom catalog retaining may of the image adjustments, ratings and metadata if you wish.
But unless you use the same image processing engine, the same feature set or have a translation it's not going to look the same. Heck LR 2012 can look vastly different from LR 2010 processing wise.

• Capture One
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 02:25:53 am »

But unless you use the same image processing engine, the same feature set or have a translation it's not going to look the same. Heck LR 2012 can look vastly different from LR 2010 processing wise.

So you're happy to re-rate, re-keyword, re-crop every image?
David Grover

jjj

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 08:33:14 pm »

So you're happy to re-rate, re-keyword, re-crop every image?
Where did I say anything about that? I'm simply pointing out that different image rendering engines can make images look quite markedly different. Ratings and keywords are separate from that.
Even within LR, if you change to a later process version images can dramatically change appearance. Claiming you can import images from one programme and expect the to look the same in another is simply not true. The toolsets can be quite different, not to mention the processing engine is different, if they were the same, then not much point in changing really.  :P A crop however shouldn't change as it is what it is.
Plus, another programme may not even support your camera files as some programmes support fewer camera files than others.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:36:43 pm »

Where did I say anything about that? I'm simply pointing out that different image rendering engines can make images look quite markedly different. Ratings and keywords are separate from that.
Even within LR, if you change to a later process version images can dramatically change appearance. Claiming you can import images from one programme and expect the to look the same in another is simply not true. The toolsets can be quite different, not to mention the processing engine is different, if they were the same, then not much point in changing really.  :P A crop however shouldn't change as it is what it is.
Plus, another programme may not even support your camera files as some programmes support fewer camera files than others.

Even a crop is not as straight forward as you'd think. Lens distortion correction and perspective correction play into the effective area and geometry shown, and are not as cut-and-dry in implementation as you might assume.

Anyway, the idea is only to help reduce the amount of re-working you'd have to do. The look, even for "default adjusted" files is not identical between any two engines.

jjj

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 09:40:45 pm »

Even a crop is not as straight forward as you'd think. Lens distortion correction and perspective correction play into the effective area and geometry shown, and are not as cut-and-dry in implementation as you might assume.
Very true. Most of mine images are corrected.

• Capture One
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 09:08:28 am »

You said..

Your LR/ACR settings are not recognised if that's what you mean.

Which is not true.  We can import a great deal, so you are not starting from scratch.

But yes, no two process engines are the same but it negates the need to do a lot of mundane stuff all over again.
David Grover

jjj

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2014, 04:43:05 pm »

You said..

Your LR/ACR settings are not recognised if that's what you mean.

Which is not true.  We can import a great deal, so you are not starting from scratch.

But yes, no two process engines are the same but it negates the need to do a lot of mundane stuff all over again.
The original question was about raw development transition from LR to C1 [not keywording/ratings etc] so unless you have identical tools and identical rendering for the tools that are the same, you are still effectively starting from scratch. Even basic tweaks such as exposure in LR can be dramatically different in different process versions, all depending on what other tools are also altered.
The only way to accurately see your LR edits of raw files in C1 or vice versa is to render out a jpeg to go with your raw image.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 05:32:12 pm »

We can import a great deal
is there a list of what you can try to imitate in regards to the non DAM stuff... like may be trying to get close to exposure correction related sliders, NR/sharpening, clarity/saturation/etc sliders - something that is more tricky than cropping parameters (or optics correction - specifically if that is interpreted from OEM data in raw files)... granted you do not know the Adobe's code, but did you try to at least try to interpret those parameters ? just curious

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 07:36:41 pm »

The original question was about raw development transition from LR to C1 as he didn't like how it was done in LR and wants to move to C1. So if he can't import it then he will probably survive.

As interesting as these contests are, if anyone actually using C1 can give advantages I would be interested also as I am looking to move eventually off Aperture (which is far better than LR IMHO.) and C1-8 has a migration tool now.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 09:32:20 pm »

hi Bob, I already moved from Aperture to C1 version 8, I though I will move to Lightroom as C1 v. 7 was not good enough, now after trying v. 8 I moved because the software makes more sense than Lightroom ( I ve the training to know how it works = LuLa videos from v. 4 to 5, from Lightroom Queen, etc), I can do what ever I want from wherever I am, I can configure the look and tools the way I want, and the best of all, the rendering it is great, way better than lightroom. I will recommend you to try it and you will see.
Forget what people tell you, try it by yourself. C1 is not as great as Aperture, but it is way better than Lightroom.

Cheers,
Daniel
« Last Edit: September 27, 2014, 01:59:54 pm by Daniel Salazar »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 11:02:52 pm »

C1 is not as great as Aperture, but it is way better than Lightroom.
Thanks, that was my observation also. I'll give it a try
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up