Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji X Lenses  (Read 87232 times)

Alan Smallbone

• APS Photography
Re: Fuji X Lenses
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 11:10:43 pm »

I don't have the 56mm but I do have the 23mm and it is a great lens. Nice and sharp.

Alan
Alan Smallbone
Orange County, CA

armand

• Photos
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 10:23:10 pm »

rdonson

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 09:43:13 am »

Interesting read: http://dedpxl.com/fuji-x-buyers-guide-part-2-lenses/

Thanks for the link, Armand.  It was a good read.  My next Fuji lens purchase is going to be the 10-24.
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 07:11:34 pm »

Thanks for the link, Armand.  It was a good read.  My next Fuji lens purchase is going to be the 10-24.

I doubt you'll be disappointed.  The 10-24mm is a remarkable lens.  My sample is ever-so-slightly soft around the corners at f/4, but quite acceptably sharp beginning at f/5.6.  Nice microcontrast and colors.  The lens has a nice, solid feel and the zoom action is smooth.  The optical image stabilization works fine as long as you're shooting static subjects, and easily makes up for the f/4 maximum aperture.  Lightroom and Iridient Developer both do an excellent job of compensating for optical defects (as, obviously, do the Fujifilm X-series bodies if you're shooting JPEG), so I rarely feel the need to do much manual fiddling—except to correct keystoning—even for architecturals.

JV

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2014, 08:22:37 pm »

Interesting read: http://dedpxl.com/fuji-x-buyers-guide-part-2-lenses/

Zack Arias writes from practical experience and without pixel peeping, measurebating and MTF graphs.  Very refreshing!

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2014, 08:28:51 pm »

Looks like the 16-55mm f/2.8 is not going to have OIS for sure which is surprising really

I've tried a few newer lenses the 16-50mm "kit lens" is actually quite good (it is what it is a non fast lens) but sharp and better than expected
I decided that bar possibly a pancake lens I probably won't invest in the system at this stage the prices are a bit too steep for me so I've ordered an A Mount to Fuji X adaptor and will combine the rendering of some of my finest Minolta glass with an XTans sensor so I would expect good things from that combination.

It also means the 16-55mm isn't needed I can simply mount my Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 and use that albeit manual focus it's usable wide open across the focal range, the 90mm Tamron also means I don't need a 1:1 macro now or a portrait lens I have fast 35 and 50mm primes too. Fuji really do need to look at their pricing a bit though on some of those lenses I'm sure they would bag more customers longer term

Maybe it's me but I'd be cautious about moving mounts and one of the great advantages of ILC's is turning into one of it's curses (for OEM makers) it unlocks a lot of glass from other makers for a far smaller outlay I have around 13 A mount lenses I can't think of any good reason to offload them to buy Fuji ones (bar AF)

armand

• Photos
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2014, 09:05:47 pm »

That 90 mm might be interesting, a 135 mm equiv for portraits (or various) is appealing.

Initially I said I will not get the the 16-55 if it doesn't have OIS, but I think I'll wait to see real life performance. I doubt it will be that much better than the current 18-55 but who knows. In the mythical possibility the Fuji will get sensor-based stabilization than it doesn't matter anymore.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2014, 05:49:58 pm »

Why, oh why, did Fujinon not put a real aperture ring on this constant maximum aperture lens? I real let down to the system.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

rdonson

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2014, 04:56:52 pm »

I doubt you'll be disappointed.  The 10-24mm is a remarkable lens.  My sample is ever-so-slightly soft around the corners at f/4, but quite acceptably sharp beginning at f/5.6.  Nice microcontrast and colors.  The lens has a nice, solid feel and the zoom action is smooth.  The optical image stabilization works fine as long as you're shooting static subjects, and easily makes up for the f/4 maximum aperture.  Lightroom and Iridient Developer both do an excellent job of compensating for optical defects (as, obviously, do the Fujifilm X-series bodies if you're shooting JPEG), so I rarely feel the need to do much manual fiddling—except to correct keystoning—even for architecturals.

Chris, the lens came today.  An overcast day but I did take some test images with it although I don't think any are worth sharing.  So far I'm very pleased with the  10-24.  Its a great complement to my 18-135.  LR 5.7.1 did a fine job with the images. 
Regards,
Ron

armand

• Photos
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2014, 11:09:10 pm »

yeah, poor weather, stuck working for few more days, I had nothing better to do than buy another lens, the 10-24. The 14 remains a very nice lens but a stabilized 10-24 is probably much more versatile.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2014, 03:01:23 pm »

The 10-24 is awesome.
Not only seems sharper than I expected at lower aperture (with the advantage of the increased DOF) but the stabilization is great. I never dreamed about getting consistently sharp shots at 1/2s, and somewhere around a quarter to half sharp at 1 sec (at 10 mm).

gdipaola

Re: Fuji X Lenses - 10-24mm compared to 14mm prime - any experience?
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2015, 05:08:28 pm »

I have the 14mm and I like it a lot, but I am thinking of the 10-24mm as a more versatile alternative.
Of course I wouldn't like to lose too much in terms of sharpness and micro-contrast, and I would consider a waste of money to keep both lenses... has anybody any experience? Any advice?
Thanks

armand

• Photos
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 12:06:00 pm »

I have both and the 10-24 is definitely more versatile. I didn't think I'll shoot much at 10 but now that I have it I do. It's a very nice walk around zoom for tight quarters or for expansive views.
The 10-24, 35 and 56 make for a very nice kit that is still lightish and will cover most shooting outside of telephoto.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »

Meanwhile: http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-fujinon-xf16-55mmf2-8-r-lm-wr/#more-31364

I'll wait until plenty of reports will be out to compare it with the 18-55. If better I might get it (for the weather sealing mostly).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 12:09:24 pm by armand »

JV

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 08:05:37 pm »

Meanwhile: http://www.fujirumors.com/first-look-fujinon-xf16-55mmf2-8-r-lm-wr/#more-31364

I'll wait until plenty of reports will be out to compare it with the 18-55. If better I might get it (for the weather sealing mostly).

At $1,200 it is almost double the price of the 18-55... it better be good :)

barryfitzgerald

« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 08:02:51 am »

For some reason Fuji have really poor close focus on most of their lenses (zooms) looking at this new one again the same pattern
Still I don't doubt it will be decent but it's larger and heavier than most would like maybe they should ask Tamron to make their 17-50mm for X mount

Webman

« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 11:40:05 pm »

I have the 10-24mm Fuji and the Zeiss Touit 12mm.   

The Fuji zoom is great for handheld photos.

However, when I get really serious about image creation, I use my Touit on a tripod.  Colored and B&W photos using the Touit are much MUCH better then the Fuji zoom.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 11:52:02 pm »

...I am somehow disappointed by the lack of OIS; I know that Canikon don't have it either in their 24-70...

Actually, Canon has it on their 17-55/2.8 ES lens, which is a better comparison for Fuji, since both are cropped format.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 02:41:22 am »

However, when I get really serious about image creation, I use my Touit on a tripod.  Colored and B&W photos using the Touit are much MUCH better then the Fuji zoom.

Would care to post some examples to support your claim?

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2015, 05:31:48 am »

However, when I get really serious about image creation, I use my Touit on a tripod.  Colored and B&W photos using the Touit are much MUCH better then the Fuji zoom.

Well... I find the touit 12 completely overpriced for what it do. In fact I was very frustrated by the performance of this lens, compared to my Zf2 lenses on my Nikon gear; day and night. First, fuji LMO  is off on tier lenses such as zeiss. Bear in mind that the fuji lenses are "good" because LMO take care of a lot of things. I have been deceived big time with landscape shoots with this lens. It is good at close range thought. Hopefully, this little lens have a good resale value (for the ones who never tested it). It is maybe the lack of LMO + the awkward Xtrans combination.

So, roughly, don't go in the zeiss X line if you come from really FF CZ masterpieces. The 10-24 should be far better. Anyway, serious landscape and fuji are not friend.

Landscape + tripod out of camera ISO 200 f8

Close range cleaning stuf out of camera ISO 1250 f2.8 ... go figure...

« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 05:34:09 am by Hulyss »
Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up