Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Building a Camera System Around a 45mm Tilt-Shift Lens  (Read 6846 times)

Nick S.

Building a Camera System Around a 45mm Tilt-Shift Lens
« on: September 17, 2014, 02:53:48 pm »

Greetings,

I'm planing to purchase a new digital full-frame camera and a normal tilt-shift lens in the next several months. I'm considering two lenses: the Canon TS-E 45mm f/2.8 and the Nikon PC-E Micro Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED. For bodies I'm looking at the Canon EOS 6D, Nikon D610, Nikon D750 and the Sony a7 or a7R (with lens adapter). I'm not currently invested in any of these systems, so I'll be starting from scratch.

The Canon TS-E 45 is available at B&H for $1,399 while the Nikon PC-E 45mm (back-ordered) is $500 more at $1,899. There are rumors that a new Canon 45mm tilt-shift lens is in development, but I intend to make the purchase before Spring 2015, so it probably won't be an option for me.

To those forum members who have experience with both lenses: do you believe the Nikon is worth the extra cost? What are the advantages of one over the other? Any other thoughts you have on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

NancyP

Re: Building a Camera System Around a 45mm Tilt-Shift Lens
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 03:04:41 pm »

What are you shooting?

MrSmith

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 03:40:49 pm »

The 2 copies of the 45TS-e I tried were poor and I only used it when I was forced to and preferred the 24 with 1.4x to get a 33mm shift. The nikon is probably a better lens though I haven't tried it myself.

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 04:16:45 pm »

Nikon D810.

NancyP

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:04:11 pm »

One interesting feature about the Nikon offering is its semi-macro (1:2, ok Nikonistas, "MICRO") capacity. This alone might make the Nikon a sweet product photography lens. Most Canonistas use the TS-E 90 for product shots, sometimes with extension ring, probably due to apparent better image quality than the not-very-loved TSE 45.

Nick S.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 05:26:58 pm »

I'll primarily be shooting landscapes (sometimes including architecture) as reference for easel paintings. The photos will supplement oil sketches painted on site. I plan to use the shift function to correct perspective errors created when pointing the camera above or below horizontal. BTW, I know I can correct certain distortions in Post...

I'd like a body with a sensor that captures lots of dynamic range so I can pull information from the shadows, which are almost always darker (using my Canon S90) than what I see and paint with my own eyes. Because of this, I'm leaning toward a Nikon or Sony body. The camera will also be used for copy work (photographing finished oil paintings). I know that, apart from the a7R, the D810 would offer better dynamic range than the cameras I listed, but it's quite a bit larger. Since I'll already be carrying painting gear, I was hoping to keep the camera size smaller than either the D810 or 5DIII. Those cameras are also a lot more expensive...

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 05:48:31 pm »

The A7r, is a great camera. I recently got to shoot one during a review of a Arca M2 (sold as the DSLR2).  I loved it.  I like EVF's, as my 55 year eyes just don't work well in optical viewfinders anymore.  I love focus peaking, tilting screens and the feedback that Sony gives on the LCD of the A7r is excellent.  It's not a great screen in bright light, but none really are. 

The A7r can be made to work, with either a Canon  TS-E or Nikon PC-E lens with the Metabones adatper.  The A7r is tiny, compared to any of the 35mm Full frame bodies you have mentioned.  If I had not moved to Nikon in 2012 and still had my Canon lenses, I would have quickly moved to the A7r and A7. 

45mm TS-E on a full frame 36MP camera is going to be so so.  I owned 3 of them, the last one was a full replacement from Canon as my 2nd one kept slipping on adjustment.  The focus on the old style TS-E's is really touchy as Canon had to allow for the movement.  They definitely figured it out with the newer TS-E 24 II and 17II just excellent all the way around (miss them).  The 90mm is great, and can be used for Macro very easily as Nancy P mentioned.  Both the 45mm and 90mm TS-E are older designs, and have been around a while. 

The show stealer, IMO is the old Contax/Zeiss 35mm shift.  If you can find one of those get it.  The mount conversion is easy with any of the adapters out there on the market.  You don't get tilt with this lens, just shift, but it's one sharp lens.

One option is a Zork adapter and a Pentax 35mm or Mamiya 35mm non AF lens.  You can also use the 35mm FA Pentax, as it has a manual aperture ring, and MA focus clutch.  This will give you 18mm of shift, still no tilt. 

Paul

Nikon's PC-E 45mm is a very good lens, I just wish the Nikon 24mm was as good.  You will get very good results from it. 
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 06:07:55 pm »

The Nikon PC-E 45mm is an excellent lens.  I regularly shoot 3-image shift stitches with D8xx bodies with great results.  

One issue: as far as I know, there is currently no adapter on the market to allow aperture control on other mfgs. bodies.  The aperture on all PC-E lenses is electrically-controlled, requiring power from the camera.

Also, check KEH for used PC-Es.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:10:03 pm by alan_b »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:38:01 pm »

Alan

I assumed the metabones adapter would work. They claim to aperture control for Nikon on the A7r adapter but no AF.

Here is a link to the one I had looked at.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_NFG-E-BM1

But I have not tried the adapter.

Paul

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:44:02 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

alan_b

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »

Paul,

That adapter is mechanically coupled. Since the PC-E lenses don't have the aperture lever at the mount, it won't couple.  I wish someone would make a "smart adapter" for Nikon lenses.

Alan

I assumed the metabones adapter would work. They claim to aperture control for Nikon on the A7r adapter but no AF.

Here is a link to the one I had looked at.

http://www.metabones.com/products/details/MB_NFG-E-BM1

But I have not tried the adapter.

Paul

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 09:14:02 pm »

Alan,

Thanks for the catch,  I see your point.  I overlooked that issue.  Keep thinking of Canon's and like you point out the Nikon's are PC-E.  Electronic shutter.  It's confusing also because the lenses have a manual aperture ring. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

robdickinson

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:18:29 pm »

Nick I would recomend shooting the D810 with a Schneider PC TS Super-Angulon 50mm f/2.8

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818355-REG/Schneider_06_1064917_PC_TS_Super_Angulon.html

Far far better than either nikon or canon options and can make a fantastic simple pano setup as it has a tripod mount on the nodal point.

allegretto

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 10:55:29 pm »

Nick I would recomend shooting the D810 with a Schneider PC TS Super-Angulon 50mm f/2.8

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/818355-REG/Schneider_06_1064917_PC_TS_Super_Angulon.html

Far far better than either nikon or canon options and can make a fantastic simple pano setup as it has a tripod mount on the nodal point.

Got that one in EF and use it as my go to on the 6D. though the 24mm Canon is also superb

robdickinson

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 11:17:44 pm »

I have the canon 24 and very tempted with the scnieder 50, know many people who use it with great success - it doesnt review well though!

I might get one once I decide on what mount I am going to shoot with...

uaiomex

• http://www.eduardocervantes.com
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 03:42:15 pm »

I would consider the 24TSEII with either the 1.4X and the 2X of the EF TC's.
Possibly, just possibly this lens with the 2X wil be good enough to stay as a superb contender in the 40 to 50mm in the market. When the new 45 version comes out you either seel it or use it with teles.
If you can go with less than 45mm FL, this lens and the 1.4X will give you 33mm. with still enough IQ to trounce anything else this side of FF. imho

Eduardo
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 03:45:21 pm by uaiomex »

NancyP

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 07:22:01 pm »

Go wild! I have heard that these lenses have image quality not to be believed - but they are Too Rich For My Blood, at least new ($3,500.00 USD)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schneider-PC-Tilt-Shift-Super-Angulon-50mm-f-2-8-Lens-For-Nikon-06-1066457-/331306501682?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item4d23680632

allegretto

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 07:46:46 pm »

I have the canon 24 and very tempted with the scnieder 50, know many people who use it with great success - it doesnt review well though!

I might get one once I decide on what mount I am going to shoot with...

do you have links to poor reviews…?

thanks

allegretto

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »

I would consider the 24TSEII with either the 1.4X and the 2X of the EF TC's.
Possibly, just possibly this lens with the 2X wil be good enough to stay as a superb contender in the 40 to 50mm in the market. When the new 45 version comes out you either seel it or use it with teles.
If you can go with less than 45mm FL, this lens and the 1.4X will give you 33mm. with still enough IQ to trounce anything else this side of FF. imho

Eduardo

have not tried this but would expect some vignetting at wider apertures.

alan_b

« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 11:13:09 pm by alan_b »

Kirk Gittings

• http://www.KirkGittings.com
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 11:14:44 pm »

FWIW, Amongst Canon's current T/S offerings, the 17, 24, 45 and 90, the 45 is the worst. I've tried a few examples and they were all the same.
Thanks,
Kirk Gittings
Pages: [1]   Go Up