Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?  (Read 2228 times)

maeda

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 174
80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« on: September 17, 2014, 04:50:11 am »

My question is not to know if i can use the leaf shutter (i know that it's not possible) with the "old" 645 AFD body but more to know if i can use the lens like a normal 80mm with any 645 AFD.

Thanks

Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 07:50:33 am »

To use the LS lenses I believe you need either a Phase One DF with the latest firmware or a DF+.  With a LS lens there is no way to open the leaf shutter permanently and just use a focal on the camera body that I am aware of. Both shutters fire all the time.   There is also a Mamiya body equivalent to the DF+.

The base 645 camera I don't think will work since it can't control the leaf shutter.

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

maeda

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 174
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:15:58 am »

Thank you Paul !
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:25:01 am »

More than happy to help.  It's a great lens, and you can find the older DF body for a pretty good deal at times on ebay.  The DF+ had some enhancements, mainly in the the custom function and AF area (still only3 point, but much faster and solid when locked). 

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

maeda

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 174
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:35:00 am »

In fact i sold few weeks ago my 645DF with the idea to buy a RZ67. As i still have my 80mm LS i am wondering if i could put it on an older body (i mean less expensive) as the 645 AFDII or III etc
I hesitate to sell my 80mm or keep it and buy a second hand 645DF+
Logged

wing1

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 26
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:03:59 pm »

So it is not possible to use LS lenses with  a film camera as 645 af? Will be great to see the quality!
Logged

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 01:40:13 pm »

No I don't the LS. Shutter will fire. The older bodies are not supported by the firmware needed to work the leaf shutter. I believe you have to be at a DF body or higher.

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4220
    • http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:49:09 pm »

LS lenses on older bodies:
- will mount
- can be manually focused
- no autofocus
- no firing of the actual leaf shutter, focal plane only
- no control of aperture (remains wide open)

So for 99% of applications it's a no go. But it's not impossible to use it.

Paul2660

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4079
    • Photos of Arkansas
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 01:52:01 pm »

I guess that is what I said. Pretty much worthless as I can't imagine using it wide open.

Paul
Logged
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Doug Peterson

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4220
    • http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 07:08:50 pm »

I guess that is what I said. Pretty much worthless as I can't imagine using it wide open.

Paul

Indeed. I list the specific (severe) limitations and the (few) possibilities not to be pedantic, but because with a few hundred readers there might be one or two that fit into the 1% that might find such (very very limited) options to be useful.

dylancoombe

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Re: 80mm SK LS lens on 645 AFD / PHASE ONE AF ?
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 02:34:42 am »

I recently purchased a Phase DF with the SK 80mm 2.8 LS and P30+ DB... I bought it mainly for the digital back as I would like to utilise my Mamiya RZ kit for digital... my question is - Is the Mamiya/Phase 80mm 2.8 comparable in terms of quality? LS is a luxury I can live without but need to maintain sharpness and lack of aberration. If it is I will sell the SK lens and use the funds to get the adapter for the RZ.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up