Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: D200 Release - canon pricing  (Read 13355 times)

BJL

D200 Release - canon pricing
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2005, 04:36:31 pm »

... I'm one of those new fangled people who all the camera they've ever known has been with a 1.5 or 1.6 factor.
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

That comment is interesting, coming soon after my talk of an ongoing generational transition in another thread:
[a href=\"http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9457&st=20]http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....opic=9457&st=20[/url]

I have read that we have reached the stage where the majority of SLR buyers have never owned a FSLR (that's F for film), and have never owned lenses for 35mm format.

Piece

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2005, 07:05:49 am »

... I'm one of those new fangled people who all the camera they've ever known has been with a 1.5 or 1.6 factor
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53633\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I'm in the same boat as you .  I'm wondering how my 1DmkII will affect what I do...dropping to 1.3x.  I probably won't notice too much, but I am thinking about getting the teleconverter just incase.  

I do have an F4 thats full frame but I only have a 50mm 1.2 that I use on it (manual focus woo!)
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 07:07:48 am by Piece »

boku

• http://www.bobkulonphoto.com
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2005, 08:35:40 pm »

Well, I am seeing a general drop in the 5D price to US $2999 today (Adorama). I would guess that is a response to the D200.
Bob Kulon

Oh, one more thing...[b

Piece

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2005, 10:17:05 pm »

anyone forsee a drop in the 1D mk II N price at all?  Doubt it but hopefully.  I haven't watched the market for long enough to know when to expect one.

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2005, 03:40:18 pm »

Not until the MkIII 1-series body or bodies have been announced.

aaykay

« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2005, 10:09:35 pm »

I guess when the D200 came out with its professional quality body, weather sealing etc., Canon was caught on the wrong foot.  

Typically, when developing a new product, companies have more than one version of the product available, one of which will become the final product.  I bet Canon had a "weather sealed" version without built-in flash, a weather-sealed version with built-in flash and the current version.  During the final review with the bean-counters, they decided to finalize the non-weather sealed version without the built-in flash, correctly surmising that the "full-frame" would sell the product.

Nikon also probably had a few versions on the table and after Canon announced their final version, they quickly put their D200 "weather-sealed" version with built-in flash at an attractive pricepoint, and then made final adjustments to the manufacturing line, accordingly.

Now Canon has to suitably reply when they come out with the 20D replacement.  Since the 5D has come out with the "weaker" non-weather sealed format, the 20D replacement cannot one-up it on that score.  

So based on the above, the only way Canon can grab the spotlight back,  would be to put a 35mm sized sensor in the 20D replacement, with around 10.4MP resolution and the pixel pitch of the 5D and the built-in flash but without weather-sealing etc.  Leave the cropped-sensors to the "Digital Rebel" arena.   At a pricepoint of around $1900-2100, it would sell very well.   But that will cannibalize sales from the 5D, I would suppose.

Just a conjecture...
« Last Edit: December 19, 2005, 10:18:30 pm by aaykay »

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2005, 07:56:03 am »

I guess when the D200 came out with its professional quality body, weather sealing etc., Canon was caught on the wrong foot. 
Nikon also probably had a few versions on the table and after Canon announced their final version, they quickly put their D200 "weather-sealed" version with built-in flash at an attractive pricepoint, and then made final adjustments to the manufacturing line, accordingly.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53942\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have heard a rumor that the reason for the 200D, it's weather sealing and it's price point is becuse Nikon have lost the professional market to Canon, and that the 200D can have the weather sealing and functions without having an impact on the sales of the expensive professional cameras from Nikon as that is a loosing market for Nikon anyway. I have no idea if this is true. The 200D is a tuff competion in the amateur segment, and maybe even in the proffesional segment since the price is so low.

Is there anybody that know the salesnumbers of the different model from Canon an Nikon?

So based on the above, the only way Canon can grab the spotlight back,  would be to put a 35mm sized sensor in the 20D replacement, with around 10.4MP resolution and the pixel pitch of the 5D and the built-in flash but without weather-sealing etc.  Leave the cropped-sensors to the "Digital Rebel" arena.   At a pricepoint of around $1900-2100, it would sell very well.   But that will cannibalize sales from the 5D, I would suppose.

Just a conjecture...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53942\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I think you are rigth, if Canon makes a camera with weather sealing they will canibalise there profressional (1D) sales.
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com

Piece

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2005, 09:05:25 pm »

i dont see it really.  you cant beat a professional camera.  with what your saying we should also see a major drop in price of the D2x as well...which i think is doubtful.  i dont see pros shooting mainly with a D200...

Graham Welland

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2005, 10:17:01 pm »

i dont see it really.  you cant beat a professional camera.  with what your saying we should also see a major drop in price of the D2x as well...which i think is doubtful.  i dont see pros shooting mainly with a D200...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54101\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Well, you could argue that Nikon are dropping the price of the D2X, as part of a combo at least. There are $500 rebates if you spend more than $500 on lenses when you buy a new D2X today.

As a D2X shooter I have to agree with the economic argument of DX format Nikon vs Canon - you can get a D2X ensemble for less than a 1DsII body, similarly with the D200. It was worth my while to move from Canon 20D and some L glass back to Nikon for these very reasons.

AS regards not seeing many pros shooting D200's ... I think you'll be surprised. Just take a look at how many use D100's/D70's or 10D/20D/5D's today. You don't HAVE to have the top spec DSLR to earn a living ... particularly if photojourno/field work don't figure in your usage.
Graham

BryanHansel

• www.bryanhansel.com
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2005, 11:11:47 am »

AS regards not seeing many pros shooting D200's ... I think you'll be surprised. Just take a look at how many use D100's/D70's or 10D/20D/5D's today. You don't HAVE to have the top spec DSLR to earn a living ... particularly if photojourno/field work don't figure in your usage.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=54104\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Nicely said.  I've used a lowly N80 before I switched to digital and then a D70 and now as soon as I can get one a D200.  I'm not sure why everyone thinks that professional photographers always use the so-called PRO cameras.  Whatever gets the job done and keeps the clients happy.

BTW, the late Galen Rowell used a FM-10 for many of his images.

Bryan
Bryan Hansel
[url=http://www.paddling

stevec

« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2005, 01:57:59 am »

If anyone is contemplating buying into 1DSMK11 vs Nikon D200 or D2X, I suggest seriously doing some research and look at how each system performs on both edge to edge sharpness and light falloff at the edges.  Do your own tests if you can befor you buy.

I will make no comment here, other than to suggest do the research.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up