Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: D200 Release - canon pricing  (Read 13356 times)

Khurram

D200 Release - canon pricing
« on: November 18, 2005, 02:00:50 am »

does anyone know what the release date is for the D200??  

can anyone recall whether in the past has releases by Nikon affected Canon pricing??.  I'm looking at finally going digital within the next month (leaning strongly toward the 1DIIN, but still considering the 5D bcoz of the FFS and extra megapixals), and wondering if there may be some price movement during that period.
----
[url=http://www.pbase.com/kssphotog

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 04:00:25 am »

The worldwide release date of the D200 is only a few weeks after the DVD availability of Start Wars Episode III, meaning on Dec 16th.

The Canon believers' official talk is that the 5D is not in the same category as the D200 because it is full frame, there will therefore probably not be any price drop. :-)

The 1dIIn being a sport camera, it is also probably in a different enough niche that there will be no price drop either.

The only likely price drop will be on the 20D IMHO.

Cheers,
Bernard

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 04:31:21 am »

A typical sign that Canon is planning to drop the list price is rebate checks appearing against products in the US. At the moment the 5D price seems to have stabalised on the streets and whilst there are rebate checks against lenses purchased with the 5D I haven't seen any discounting against the 5D body itself. So it is unlikely that there will be any discounting at this stage or for the near future.

Also, I would expect that the Canon marketing department already factored in the D200 pricing before launching the 5D. They may or may not have got the sums correct, but i would not expect them to make any adjustments in response to the D200 launch until after christmas/ towards easter when the market slows down.
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Khurram

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 08:14:30 am »

A typical sign that Canon is planning to drop the list price is rebate checks appearing against products in the US. At the moment the 5D price seems to have stabalised on the streets and whilst there are rebate checks against lenses purchased with the 5D I haven't seen any discounting against the 5D body itself. So it is unlikely that there will be any discounting at this stage or for the near future.

Also, I would expect that the Canon marketing department already factored in the D200 pricing before launching the 5D. They may or may not have got the sums correct, but i would not expect them to make any adjustments in response to the D200 launch until after christmas/ towards easter when the market slows down.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51587\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

if it is going to be that long, then i guess, i'll stil go ahead and make the purchase early/mid december as planned - assuming i can decide which camera i'm going with
----

LeifG

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 08:26:43 am »

15 December. In the UK anyway. According to a UK shop. When they will be shipping in large quantities is another issue. Leif

Yakim Peled

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 10:16:20 am »

>> leaning strongly toward the 1DIIN, but still considering the 5D bcoz of the FFS and extra megapixals

If I had to choose between these two, I'd get the former. I just bought a used 1D as my first DSLR instead of the 20D and I don't regret it one bit. Ergonomics and AF are beyond reproach.

Happy shooting,
Yakim.
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2005, 02:23:16 pm »

congrats on entering the digital world, what lenses did you end up with? (You know me as Ben Rubinstein on photo.net)

Dr. Gary

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2005, 02:37:56 pm »

can anyone recall whether in the past has releases by Nikon affected Canon pricing??.  I'm looking at finally going digital within the next month (leaning strongly toward the 1DIIN, but still considering the 5D bcoz of the FFS and extra megapixals), and wondering if there may be some price movement during that period.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51578\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Forgive my ignorance, but what are the specifics regarding the Canon D200. I have not heard anything about it yet.

Dr. gary

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2005, 07:53:14 pm »

it's a nikon which should help your search! www.dpreview.com for details

Khurram

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 09:55:05 am »

congrats on entering the digital world, what lenses did you end up with? (You know me as Ben Rubinstein on photo.net)
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51708\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

i haven't got anything new yet.

I just sold my 24-70F2.8L about a month back and am on a waiting list for the 24-105 F4L.

already have the 16-35L and the 70-200F2.8L IS.  i've finally sold my 1vHS, so in two weeks will be getting the 1DIIN - i already know, i'm going to  miss not being able to shoot at 16-21mm.  

I'm still toying with the idea of the sigma 10-24 (or is it 12-24mm) that is built for film cameras.  but i'll probably wait until 4-5 mths after getting the camera, or until i'm comfortable enough with the camera to run some tests on the lens
----

Ben Rubinstein

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2005, 02:07:04 pm »

I was talking to Yakim who has been ready to make the jump for a while.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2005, 04:48:50 am »

The worldwide release date of the D200 is only a few weeks after the DVD availability of Start Wars Episode III, meaning on Dec 16th.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=51583\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I bought the Star Wars Episode III DVD from City Centre shopping mall in Muscat, Oman, one week ago. It's out indeed.

RandyJK

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2005, 10:39:32 am »

Its all speculation but I have to believe other camera prices will be impacted by the D200.  Nikon has raised the bar for what one can get at the price point of this camera. This of course is conditional on image quality, will have to wait and see.

Pre-announcing the D200 might have slowed down 5D sales, maybe not from others invested in Canon but others with no stake in either system have to be waiting.  If the 5D is viewed as a huge success by Canon, price won't change.  But if disappointing, the price will come down.  They will either have to do this or the 20D replacement will have to meet the D200 head on.  We win either way.

Maybe even the high end model prices will fall if their sales are impacted by these new mid-priced models.

jkantor

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2005, 08:05:17 am »

The 5D is ludicrously overpriced even without the D200. With the D200 on the market there will be no market at all for the 5D apart from the dilettantes who will buy anything either Canon or Nikon makes. (I can buy a D200 and a 70-200 VR for a couple of hundred dollars more - and I'm going to - despite having two 10Ds and a 20D right now.)

The 5D is really a camera without a purpose. 99% of the photographers out there don't need a full-frame sensor now that there are so many ultra-wides designed specifically since digital came out - and 95% don't need the extra resolution (though we might all like to have it, very few can actually justify the cost from any rational business standpoint). In short it's just playing to the amateur market's obsession with the "cool" factors of digital: megapixels and sensor size.

There's a niche for the 5D - but you'd be crazy to pay more than $1K more for it than a 20D.

michael

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2005, 08:14:44 am »

Try working with one for a week or two, make some prints, and then see if your firmly held beliefs are still so entrenched.

About a dozen of the photographers on my Antarctic Expedition were using 5Ds, and almost all also have 1Ds or 1Ds MKII bodies as well. What was amusing was how often the discussions at dinner turned to how astonishingly good the 5D images were - especially when it comes to low noise, all the way up to ISO 1600.

Without doubt the Nikon 200 will be an exceptionally fine camera, and it will put price pressure on the 5D, but the DSLR market is a fluid one, and there is a major trade show just around the corner.  

Michael

LeifG

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2005, 08:17:30 am »

The 5D is ludicrously overpriced even without the D200. With the D200 on the market there will be no market at all for the 5D apart from the dilettantes who will buy anything either Canon or Nikon makes. (I can buy a D200 and a 70-200 VR for a couple of hundred dollars more - and I'm going to - despite having two 10Ds and a 20D right now.)

The 5D is really a camera without a purpose. 99% of the photographers out there don't need a full-frame sensor now that there are so many ultra-wides designed specifically since digital came out - and 95% don't need the extra resolution (though we might all like to have it, very few can actually justify the cost from any rational business standpoint). In short it's just playing to the amateur market's obsession with the "cool" factors of digital: megapixels and sensor size.

There's a niche for the 5D - but you'd be crazy to pay more than $1K more for it than a 20D.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53597\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I suspect that most Canon users have been gripped by the full frame frenzy and would not agree with you. There are many people dismissing Nikon as outdated, and unable to comprehend that the Nikon D200 could come anywhere near the Canon 5D. I think I know who has won the marketing wars.  

Leif

DiaAzul

• http://photo.tanzo.org/
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2005, 08:26:29 am »

Without doubt the Nikon 200 will be an exceptionally fine camera, and it will put price pressure on the 5D, but the DSLR market is a fluid one, and there is a major trade show just around the corner.   

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53599\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Groan, oh no! Not the Michael, nudge, nudge, wink, wink smiley just before February PMA. I guess there will be no beans spilt yet then    
David Plummer    http://photo.tanzo.org/

Julian Love

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2005, 11:59:50 am »

As a Canon user who didn't invest in "digital specific" glass (EF-S or 3rd party) then full frame makes a lot of sense. I get my wide angle back and my 28-70 f/2.8 becomes a useful general-purpose zoom again, rather than a slightly awkward 45-110 lens.

So, not having to replace my 16-35 and 28-70 with the 10-22 and 17-85 has saved around £1000, and I would have had to buy a 20D to use them anyway -another £1000.

So for the same price as a 20D and two digital lenses I can get a 5D with more resolution and even better high ISO performance, that can use my old lenses just fine. Seems like a good deal to me....

macgyver

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2005, 01:13:38 pm »

It's kind  of a funny shift of irony, I'm one of those new fangled people who all the camera they've ever known has been with a 1.5 or 1.6 factor.  Everyone talks about how much they want the Full Frame cameras so their "70-200 will acctually be a 70-200 and their 50's will really be 50s".

As for me, I don't want a full frame since then my 70-200's wont really be 70-200 and my 50s wont be 50s....  

(Im hoping that makes sense to you, my sense of humor can be somewhat skewed)

Ronny Nilsen

• The Quiet Landscape
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2005, 04:27:58 pm »

I suspect that most Canon users have been gripped by the full frame frenzy and would not agree with you. There are many people dismissing Nikon as outdated, and unable to comprehend that the Nikon D200 could come anywhere near the Canon 5D. I think I know who has won the marketing wars. 

Leif
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=53601\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You mean Nikon? Since that is the only company that have customers claiming that they have the only right sensor size, all other sizes sucks.  
Ronny A. Nilsen
www.ronnynilsen.com
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up