Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Panasonic GH4 vsOlympus OM-D E-M1  (Read 1240 times)

Remo Nonaz

• Photography By Homer Shannnon
Panasonic GH4 vsOlympus OM-D E-M1
« on: September 08, 2014, 04:29:39 pm »

Boy, talk about sitting on the fence. I've been slobbering over the new Panasonic and Olympus offerings for nearly a year and never seen either up close and personal. This weekend I got to at least hold and look through both. The Panny has the most amazing, fits in your hand, this is just an extension of your arm, feel to it. The Oly felt like I was putting an old calculator up to my eye. Still, the Oly has in-body IS, which would be really nice and it is considered the better camera for stills, which is what I do most of the time.

Both cameras are nice and somewhat better than my GH2, but neither has all the features I want, nor does either have any paradigm-changing improvements over my GH2 (for what I do).

So, at this point I'm going to continue to carry on with the GH2 and hope that Panasonic comes out with a G? that has all the goodness of the GH4 but perhaps without all the 4K features that I don't need. Perhaps they could equip it with IS like the Gx7.

Just dreaming.
I really enjoy using old primes on my m4/3 camera. There's something about having to choose your aperture and actually focusing your camera that makes it so much more like... like... PHOTOGRAPHY!

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
Re: Panasonic GH4 vsOlympus OM-D E-M1
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »

I was i n exactly your position - using GH2's for several years and deferring a new camera.  After much thought and a three day loan of a e-m1 I went the Olympus route.  It's a lovely camera to use and I've shot quite a few paying jobs in the last ten days, which is always a good test for gear - it needs to perform when under pressure.  A big improvement in usability over the GH2.
The GH3/4 just did not feel right to me and I preferred the EVF in the Olympus.  Plus the built in stabiliser is great with my Voightlander Nokton!

Jim

To add - the image quality is not that different - but I never really enjoyed shooting stills withe the GH2 (my other camera is a 1DS) - the Olympus is a joy though.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 04:05:56 am by Jim Pascoe »

deejjjaaaa

Re: Panasonic GH4 vsOlympus OM-D E-M1
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 09:33:22 pm »

Both cameras are nice and somewhat better than my GH2, but neither has all the features I want, nor does either have any paradigm-changing improvements over my GH2 (for what I do).

E-M1 has over GH2 (I owned GH2 since Dec 2010, GH3 since Sept 2012 and now I have E-M1 since Sept 2013) for somebody who uses a camera for still photo :

1 ) IS (IBIS) - you use manual focus lenses, that might be useful
2 ) better Panasonic sensor (more DR, more mp, no AA) - albeit it is not a multiaspect sensor (so if you like 16:9 instead of 4:3 framing mp advantage is gone)
3 ) better & bigger EVF
4 ) body with many more direct controls & more customization for those (and metal body, weather resistant - GH2 feels more like a plastic toy)
5 ) better shutter, faster x-sync, EFCS (no shutter shock), small flash can be remote (optical) TTL flash control
6 ) arguably better OOC JPG - that's certainly a matter of a taste
7 ) PDAF on sensor for a better (albeit by no means pro dSLR level) AF tracking (if you use AF lenses at all)
8 ) tunable real time blinkies in EVF for clipping indication (might be tuned, if you don't mind UniWB colored EVF for raw clipping indication)
9 ) I certainly missed some

technically - GH2 vs E-M1 is no contest (albeit your paradigm seems to be just fine with GH1 either).

« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 09:35:57 pm by deejjjaaaa »
Pages: [1]   Go Up