Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble converting to CMYK (Newbie)  (Read 1836 times)

Concord

Trouble converting to CMYK (Newbie)
« on: September 07, 2014, 09:08:39 am »

Total newbie here, I have done a fair amount of reading in preparation for my first print on a Canon IPF but I'm a little confused by something:

My file is RGB/8bit.  I am attempting to convert to CMYK by using "covert to profile".

I go to "Convert to Profile" and in the "Basic" window, select the profile for the specific paper I am using (CanonIPFX400_Lexjet_Cotton_Etching_PL, I downloaded this profile from the manufacturer).  

When the image is converted, it is still in RGB mode.

I would (maybe wrongly) assume that converting to a paper profile would convert the image to CMYK mode.

Further more, when I go to "advanced" and go to the CMYK drop down menu, my specific paper profile is not listed there.  In fact, there are only a limited number of profiles listed there.  It is listed in the RGB drop down menu.  So it is an RGB profile?  Would I have to go to Image>Mode>CMYK to further convert to CMYK?

Any advice appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 09:15:56 am by Concord »

D Fosse

Re: Trouble converting to CMYK
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:18:18 am »

Not familiar with this printer, but I suspect it works with RGB data and expects that. So the profile will be an RGB profile.

With 12 or so inks, CMYK makes no sense with its four channels...

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
Re: Trouble converting to CMYK (Newbie)
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 10:15:47 am »

In general, modern color printers expect an RGB file and do their own conversions. Converting to CMYK throws away a LOT of color information, so don't do that :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 12:14:47 pm »

In the OP you never said why trying to convert to CMYK? Apparently, your printer is not a CMYK printer.

Concord

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 12:40:27 pm »

I was converting to CMYK because I assumed (incorrectly) that that's the mode that should be used for my printer.  I understand now that RGB should be used.

One follow up question though--I assume that I should still uncheck "printer manages color" in the print dialog?

Thanks for your responses.

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 01:15:12 pm »

I was converting to CMYK because I assumed (incorrectly) that that's the mode that should be used for my printer.  I understand now that RGB should be used.

One follow up question though--I assume that I should still uncheck "printer manages color" in the print dialog?

A more usual workflow would not involve converting to the printer/paper profile. More usually you would use your printing app (Lightroom, Photoshop, or whatever) to manage color using the profile, and color management turned off in the printer driver's dialog. Just leave the image in whatever working space you ae using.

If you want to see an emulation of how the image will render, then you can soft proof the image using the profile prior to printing.

Brian A

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 01:43:37 pm »

Quickdraw and GDI drivers expect RGB data so send that. Use Application Manages Color. Pick correct profile for paper and printer combo.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Concord

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 04:13:06 pm »

Quickdraw and GDI drivers expect RGB data so send that. Use Application Manages Color. Pick correct profile for paper and printer combo.
Ok got it.  Thanks a lot.
Pages: [1]   Go Up