Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 28mm or 35mm ?  (Read 1173 times)

maeda

28mm or 35mm ?
« on: September 05, 2014, 10:00:07 am »

For the moment i don't have the budget to buy both so what's the most usefull for architectural and interior photography ?
For information my DB is a mamiya DM33.

Thank you

Chris Livsey

Re: 28mm or 35mm ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 06:21:26 am »

Last time out, with 35mm granted, I took the 21mm and left the 28mm at home.
I didn't miss the 28mm but if I had taken the 28mm I would have missed the 21mm.

torger

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:47 am »

It would be helpful if you described which system it is. You could run the DB on a tech cam, but I guess it's a Mamiya body?

Anyway, in architecture images generally look better if you can exclude the ultrawide, perspective often becomes stretched out along the sides so it looks unnatural. However, the hard truth is that there's often limits on how far away you can put the tripod, especially in indoor photography. So you are left with no choice but to shoot with the ultrawide.

The 35mm will often enough be limiting on your DM33, especially if you can't shift it, so you should definitively go for the wider.

maeda

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 05:11:26 pm »

Hi Torger, i use my DB with a cambo wide DS.
The quality of the 28mm is outstanding but sometimes i feel it is too wide
particularly for interiors when there is an object or furnitures on the foreground.
However i think that i'm going to buy the 35mm and take the stitching way in consideration.
I hope i'm not going to make a mistake because if i sell my 28mm HR it's not tomorrow that i could buy an other one second hand.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2014, 07:25:40 pm »

Are you considering a Schneider 35XL?  Great lens and will give you quite a bit of shift with your current back. It will need the center filter.   However the Rodenstock 28 HR is an amazing lens and may allow you to use it without a CF and you have that lens.  Schneider 35XL will have less distortion to correct also but optically the 28 HR is about as good as wides get, just wish it was built around a 90mm image circle.  The 2 are so close it's a tough call for sure.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up