Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Slaughter House Chapel.  (Read 4875 times)

Wayland

• Trust me I'm a Viking
    • Waylandscape
The Slaughter House Chapel.
« on: September 01, 2014, 05:32:09 pm »

I've been visiting Cwm Orthin for about thirty years now and I've seen the buildings falling steadily into disrepair as nature takes them back over.

The quarry had a poor safety record which led to it being known as "the Slaughter House" and this small chapel was built for it's workers. I guess it must have seen some tragic times.

I have old negatives I took showing it in much better repair but when the back wall fell in a few years ago, so did most of the roof and these last timbers just point up to the sky like bony fingers now.

The sheep skull and the dead, rotting pine seem to complete the somber mood for me somehow.

Wayland. [/S

Chairman Bill

• flickr page
Re: The Slaughter House Chapel.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 05:16:44 am »

Nicely done. I do wonder why our heritage bodies seem to care so little for the industrial archaeology of these islands, whilst spending so much on preserving the haunts of the landed gentry. Maybe because this is our history, not theirs.

Wayland

• Trust me I'm a Viking
    • Waylandscape
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 05:47:06 am »

I think that is very true. Cwmorthin is cared for by a local voluntary group but they have very limited resources.

The iconic barracks are suffering very badly now, possibly because of their exposed position.

I don't have much time for the National Trust, especially after they stole one of my pictures, but at least they and their ilk have an income stream that can be channelled back into the properties they manage.
Wayland. [/S

Paulowen

• www.iceland-photography-tours.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 12:05:47 pm »

Excellent shots! I first visited Cwm Orthin about 20 years ago - most of the roof was still on the chapel and painted plaster on the walls. Spent an hour sheltering there with a dead sheep for company during a huge downpour ... happy days! Been meaning to re-visit as I haven't been back for about 4 years or so. Last visit was with large format!

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 12:52:10 pm »

I like the way these bring me there.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 03:24:01 pm »

I've been visiting Cwm Orthin for about thirty years now and I've seen the buildings falling steadily into disrepair as nature takes them back over.

The quarry had a poor safety record which led to it being known as "the Slaughter House" and this small chapel was built for it's workers. I guess it must have seen some tragic times.

I have old negatives I took showing it in much better repair but when the back wall fell in a few years ago, so did most of the roof and these last timbers just point up to the sky like bony fingers now.

The sheep skull and the dead, rotting pine seem to complete the somber mood for me somehow.

The pine is obtrusive. The photo would be better with just the skull. The pine is too big in relation to the chapel.

Wayland

• Trust me I'm a Viking
    • Waylandscape
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:48:35 am »

I liked the pine because it is another sign of decay, vegetable in this case.

Looking at it now I do wonder if I should have moved the skull into a more prominent position though.
Wayland. [/S

stamper

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 03:43:55 am »

I liked the pine because it is another sign of decay, vegetable in this case.

Looking at it now I do wonder if I should have moved the skull into a more prominent position though.

You would have to be off your head to do that? ;) The image - imo- is absolutely fine as it is. The pine is big in the image because it is in the foreground, therefore it "dominates" If it was small in relation to the building then it would be seen as an intrusion. The dark sky gives the viewer a sense of foreboding which is appropriate. Well done. :)   

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 04:07:16 am »

I think it is fine as is. The top branches of the pine open up in a V shape that seems to hold the chapel.

wolfnowl

• M&M's Musings
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 06:33:37 pm »

I think it is fine as is. The top branches of the pine open up in a V shape that seems to hold the chapel.

Agreed. Wouldn't change it.

Mike.
If your mind is attuned t

melchiorpavone

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 10:12:35 pm »

This is one of those occasions where a horizontal composition would likely have been better.

David Cordner

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 04:00:58 am »

Gary, in a word - Perfect.

melchiorpavone

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 03:32:10 pm »

… because that would have enabled … What?

What do you mean? It would have been a better composition, in my opinion.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 05:44:31 pm »

Sure, many pictures with 3 vertically-aligned objects of interest would benefit from a load of wasted space on either side. /irony

melchiorpavone

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 05:49:07 pm »

Sure, many pictures with 3 vertically-aligned objects of interest would benefit from a load of wasted space on either side. /irony

It's called "negative space". And what makes you think I would center the structure?

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 06:38:17 pm »

Because you're hiding your genius behind anonymity.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 03:46:36 am »

... though I feel the composition may be a bit tightly-cropped, especially where the branch exits the frame. But a slightly less-tight crop is way different from "negative space" which seems to take your horizontal composition comment to an absurd level. From what we can see of the location, that "negative space" is going to contain an awful lot of eye-catching detail and the OP's vertical composition would seem the ideal approach.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 06:06:11 am by john beardsworth »

melchiorpavone

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 12:28:45 pm »

... though I feel the composition may be a bit tightly-cropped, especially where the branch exits the frame. But a slightly less-tight crop is way different from "negative space" which seems to take your horizontal composition comment to an absurd level. From what we can see of the location, that "negative space" is going to contain an awful lot of eye-catching detail and the OP's vertical composition would seem the ideal approach.

Imagine the shot with the structure to the far left, with lots of sky above and field to the right.

Wayland

• Trust me I'm a Viking
    • Waylandscape
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 01:22:16 pm »

All a bit academic I'm afraid guys. I shot it as I saw it and don't have any other compositions in my files.

From what I remember it was mainly spoil heaps to the right of frame but I could be wrong.
Wayland. [/S

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 01:52:46 pm »

Imagine the shot with the structure to the far left, with lots of sky above and field to the right.

Edit - below was posted before Wayland's comments on spoil tips

So, lots of sky above, with a horizontal composition for all that negative space? We're already moving back and probably losing the compositional value of the branch and skull, if they are still distinguishable. And then the slope we see on the right and any other ruins/junk are levelled for a field of magic mushrooms....  Imagine a different scene?
Pages: [1]   Go Up