Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3880 Annoying Paper Issue  (Read 1664 times)

AE Design Co.

3880 Annoying Paper Issue
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:49:21 pm »

Hey Everyone

Finally decided to join up after taking in many years of discussion and knowledge from this great forum. I have 2 printers, an Epson 3880 which is about 6 months old and just last week have purchased a Canon IPF8400 (arriving any day now) to handle the larger stuff I'm getting into. I print my girlfriends artwork which is watercolour + some digital textile prints.

With the 3880 I run Canson Velin 250gsm. My question relates to an annoying issue which I cannot find a clear cut answer for or any possible solution, my apologies in advance if I have missed anything along the way. I find once the printer has done roughly 10 sheets of A2 printing it begins to pull the sheets through without printing, just basically spitting them straight out (I feed one at a time otherwise it doesn't work, through the normal feeder).

Once the printer determines it need a new sheet I load one in, press the feed button and it sucks the sheet through twice, on the third occasion it picks up and prints fine.

Is there any suggestions out there? Its almost like clockwork, every 10 sheets it will do it continuously until its rested for a few hours. Are the rollers getting coated from the paper perhaps?

Any thoughts suggestions or pointers to a fix would be very much appreciated its incredibly frustrating to que up a run of 50 A2 sheets which takes long enough as is without wasting hours trying to get the printer to accept the sheets!

Regards, Chris.

hugowolf

Re: 3880 Annoying Paper Issue
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 11:37:42 pm »

Through which feed path: the sheet feeder or the manual rear single sheet feed?

Brian A

AE Design Co.

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 12:13:14 am »

Hi Brian, through the sheet feeder, I think thats ok given its only 250gsm correct?

rogan

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 12:54:33 am »

Yep, it's coated with clay powder.
Use windex on a paper towel. Press load and have the feed roller rub the damp paper towel once or twice. Will then work fine for another 20-40 sheets, then repeat.

Randy Carone

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 08:08:37 am »

Since you are feeding one sheet at a time, try the rear feed.
Randy Carone

hugowolf

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 01:58:59 pm »

Since you are feeding one sheet at a time, try the rear feed.

Yes, if you are feeding one sheet at a time, why not use the rear feed?

I don't know where the clay would come from, Arches Velin is not kaolinite coated.

Brian A

rpsphoto

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:06:39 pm »

Yep, it's coated with clay powder.
Use windex on a paper towel. Press load and have the feed roller rub the damp paper towel once or twice. Will then work fine for another 20-40 sheets, then repeat.

Yep...coated papers will cause this and it's easily fixed.
Best regards,
 Bob CEO, CFO, EIEIO, Ret.

AE Design Co.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 11:45:35 pm »

Sorry for the delayed reply - I can feed more then 1 sheet when using A4 / A3 paper its just the A2 where I have issues. Will try the windex to see if that fixes it, just wasnt sure if there was a setting that could be or needed to be changed

Thanks for the replies everyone :)

Chris

hugowolf

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2014, 07:33:36 pm »

Yep...coated papers will cause this and it's easily fixed.

It isn't caused by clay though, and it isn't because the paper is injet coated. It will happen with any cotton paperm coated or not.

Brian A
Pages: [1]   Go Up