Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sky Light Circles  (Read 10787 times)

michael

Sky Light Circles
« on: August 30, 2014, 09:54:41 am »

This topic is for discussion of the image and commentary found in Michael's Phlog titled Sky Light Circles.

malevopfgm

Re: Sky Light Circles
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 12:21:03 pm »

Loveley picture Michael, I take this is a keeper from other n possibles, did you "dance" around a lot to get this composition ?
on a more technical side: Did you use a tripod ?, It would be great if you can share the basic settings you've used in lightroom to develop the image.

Regards, Pablo.

BTW: I love this new feature (Phlogs).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:25:04 pm by malevopfgm »

michael

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »

Most definitely a tripod. 1/4 sec @ f/8

Not much dancing. It was clear pretty quickly what the composition would be.

Very little in Lightroom, mainly just the Highlights and Shadow sliders.

Michael

John Hue

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 02:50:49 pm »

That it a very instructive example, and a very nice image indeed.

When setting the exposure, what made you confident that you would be able to bring the shadows back ?

When doing ETTR I am always afraid that I'll loose quality by pushing the shadows too hard in post, and I have troubles trusting the camera's histogram because it is, after all, only an interpretation made by the camera's JPEG engine (from what I understand). Did you learned to interpret your specific camera's image preview, or did you know by looking at the scene that the DR didn't exceeded the sensor's capabilities, or did you measure the scene's DR just to be sure ?

I hope this is not too much to ask, in all cases thank you for your answer ! (edit : I am of course very much interested in anyone's advice regarding ETTR and shadow recovery in post !)

[Do] not [...] let the possible and available technical tools override your inner aesthetic sensibility

In my humble opinion, this is the kind of simple concept that help a LOT, thanks for that. Although I have read and heard it (or the idea your sentence conveys) before, it is always good to read it from someone with such an extensive experience.

PS : Please excuse my grammar, this it not my mother language (note to self : c/p this sentence as a signature)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 02:52:44 pm by John Hue »

michael

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 03:17:27 pm »

If you use ETTR then you are certain that the highlights will have detail.

Then, it's a matter of choosing how much deep shadow you really want.

I believe that many photographers believe that they have to alywars have visible detail in shadow areas. That's a technology trick, not photography. Photography should be a process where you the photographer decide what you want people to see and not to see, just as we do with how we frame the image.

Michael

John Hue

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2014, 03:45:46 pm »

Well, look at that, I am the example of the bad student  :D

I guess the answer to my worries lies in the quote I embded in the same post.

Thank you for your answer !

Your other examples in today's phlog were all very interesting, can't wait for the next !

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 03:27:57 am »

Then, it's a matter of choosing how much deep shadow you really want.

I believe that many photographers believe that they have to always have visible detail in shadow areas.

Michael

Would I be correct in saying "as long as you don't have solid black?"
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

michael

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 07:58:13 am »

Would I be correct in saying "as long as you don't have solid black?"

No, not really. In fact I believe that most images benefit from having at least a small area of solid black. This grounds the image providing a base for the other tonalities.

It's all a mater of taste and intention.

Michael

Dmullins

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 03:46:26 pm »

"Something to keep in mind when shooting and later working on an image, is to let your "feeling" for what you wish the shot to look like determine the end result, not to let the possible and available technical tools override your inner aesthetic sensibility."

This is great advice that I will try to keep in mind in the future. I think a part of me already knew it, but seeing it written out and with a great example to support the claim, the notion is much more solid in my mind. Thank you.

stamper

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 04:18:41 am »

"Something to keep in mind when shooting and later working on an image, is to let your "feeling" for what you wish the shot to look like determine the end result, not to let the possible and available technical tools override your inner aesthetic sensibility."

This is great advice that I will try to keep in mind in the future. I think a part of me already knew it, but seeing it written out and with a great example to support the claim, the notion is much more solid in my mind. Thank you.

I am in full agreement with this. Michael has pointed out most images are better with a black anchor point. Unfortunately a lot of photographers remain unconvinced and when they see a little black they think it is a technical deficiency.

Zorki5

• AOLib
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2015, 09:42:33 pm »

I believe that many photographers believe that they have to alywars have visible detail in shadow areas. That's a technology trick, not photography. Photography should be a process where you the photographer decide what you want people to see and not to see, just as we do with how we frame the image.

So true. Unfortunately, great many things are done by people simply "because they can", whether or not that is really necessary.

This applies not only to photography, but to design at large. That is why we have "feature creatures" instead of usable applications, over-clattered camera menus and HUDs, etc. etc. etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up