Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon submersible cameras  (Read 1519 times)

Colorado David

Nikon submersible cameras
« on: August 30, 2014, 12:11:51 am »

I've been almost ready to buy one of the Nikon waterproof cameras.  I've looked at the AW110, AW120 and the Nikon 1 AW1.  I've been ready to buy until I read the reviews and undoubtably someone writing a review (several someones actually) will have experienced a leak and then Nikon will not repair it under warranty.  A colleague of mine just recently bought the Nikon 1 AW1 and has used it underwater and has shot some great fly fishing images with it.  He's pretty enthusiastic about it and he's a Canon shooter.  All I want one for is the underwater capability so that's pretty important to me.

By the way, the AW120 is ITAR controlled.  Really? A sub $300 camera is ITAR?

Colorado David

Re: Nikon submersible cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 11:50:21 pm »

Well, how about any other brand of underwater camera or any of the underwater housings.  I've read a mix of bad reviews for everything.  I realize anyone can say anything on the internet.  Does anyone here have any personal experience with any of the inexpensive options?

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2014, 01:13:27 am »

A friend that shoots magazine stuff bought an AW1 as a back-up and for some basic underwater stuff while fishing and is very happy with it.
I did an A3 print off one of his raws of a fish held just sub-surface and the image quality is very very good.

I think it's a very capable and interesting camera for the money.

stamper

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2014, 04:12:59 am »

I looked at the possibility of buying one of the underwater camera just to use when it is raining. I couldn't find one that shot Raw. They had Wifi and similar add ons but no Raw. A big mistake IMO. ???

David Anderson

• http://www.twigwater.com
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 05:03:13 am »

The Nikons has raw.

stamper

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2014, 06:19:54 am »

Thanks. I missed seeing that. Time to think again about buying one.

sat968

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 05:46:01 pm »

I have the AW110 and use it for beach and pool shooting. The picture quality certainly doesn't match a DSLR, but considering how small and easy to use it is, it's a reasonable trade off. About the only complaint I have with the camera is the the rear picture display is almost impossible to see under water on a sunny day. I usually just end up setting the zoom to it's widest setting and take my best guess at framing and composition. I've never had it leak, but then again it's probably only been down to 10 feet in depth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up