Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Fuji XT-1 vs Olympus OMD EM-1  (Read 29984 times)

armand

• Photos
Re: Fuji XT-1 vs Olympus OMD EM-1
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2014, 12:59:45 pm »

Forgot to say, don't know about EM-1 but on the XT-1 the EVF is very good, this is probably the future.

spencerD

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2014, 01:30:00 pm »

The grass is always greener on the other side.

The XTrans is something I could have lived without, for me it's more of a nuisance than it's worth it, and the sensor it's not the best compared with top APS-C. Better than my D90 but not by much.

Have read comments by others as well as you, regarding the XTrans Sensor.
Some say it gives excellent detail, others say not so much?

Is the complaints due to real limitations of the sensor or is it more due to only a few raw converters can bring out the best from the XtTrans Raw files? Understand that Adobe is getting better but far from the best raw converted for Xtrans?

For me never warmed up to adobe Raw coveter, have not used lightroom.
For Canon used their own Raw converter for basic converting and detail work in photoshop from Tiff files.
Only other converter I felt at ease using was a free software called Raw Converter, which was very good, to bad they sold out to Adobe I believe...

At the moment don't have a real set workflow been pretty much out of photography the last 5 years as far as real work and printing, so perhaps Id not be as bothered once I purchased a good Raw converter for Xtran files. In the past I have used for sharping my files Photokit Sharpener for capture and selective sharping and output sharping and printing from Qimage. Anyone use either or both of the above anymore? I really like the perceived automation of sharpening.Let software picked the best capture base on selective settings, let software pick the best output based on print size, paper, ect
With me doing selective sharpening to make certain areas pop. I take pride in good prints I can matt and frame, but don't claim to be up or good at all the fine points of enhancing images.

I likely work harder to get a print I like than most, lack of skill, but bulldog determination...

Dave

« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 01:37:31 pm by spencerD »

armand

• Photos
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 02:33:12 pm »

Right now I feel it's mostly a converter thing but even with a good converter I don't see it being better in the end, only just as good. On average, as it is slightly worse for green foliage stuff and slightly better for bw stuff where just luminosity is at play.

deejjjaaaa

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 02:45:14 pm »

Forgot to say, don't know about EM-1 but on the XT-1 the EVF is very good, this is probably the future.

in FF terms (adjusted to FF sensor size) magnifications are

XT-1 = 0.77 x
EM-1 = 0.74 x
A7 = 0.71 x

all are 100% coverage.

so is XT-1 bigger, yes, indeed... by 0.03 or 0.77/0.74 = 4%.

JV

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 04:05:54 pm »

Is the complaints due to real limitations of the sensor or is it more due to only a few raw converters can bring out the best from the XtTrans Raw files?

I would say the latter.  And I would also add that "only a few" raw converters is no longer accurate. It was that way in the beginning though.

I use Iridient Developer and I have zero complaints.  It is quite basic but it produces a good TIFF file and that is all I care about.  Capture One IMO is a good second.

Iridient Developer, Capture One, Lightroom, etc all have trial versions.  Try before you buy!

spencerD

« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 05:13:23 pm »

Thanks again, good to hear from XT-1 owners.
Better is always nice, but equal overall is just fine with me.
Point is, I do concentrate on landscape photography so quality needs to be good. With regards fine detail. Does it needs to be the highest resolution or detail of all available cameras in the price range no, as long as close/completive. There will always be better in the future.

I'm coming from a Canon 40D and for landscape and travel I would hope/expect the XT to replace it.
The 40D is old by todays standards, yet when I have nailed everything and  have made 12 x 18 prints, I have never felt, gee if only it had more detail. Most people, (friend) including a Simi Pro neighbor are always impress with the detail of my best prints.

It's not like websites doing A/B side by side or looking at 100% of the same image.

So if the XT surpasses my old 40D at base sensitivity, I should be happy.

Dave

JV

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 05:26:59 pm »

Point is, I do concentrate on landscape photography...

Perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea then to take a look in the Flickr Fuji X-Pro1 and X-E1 Landscapes group:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/1909146@N25/

Should be fairly representative of what one can do with Fuji X and landscapes.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2014, 06:07:21 pm »

So if the XT surpasses my old 40D at base sensitivity, I should be happy.

I used a pair of 40D bodies for several years. If I go back and look at prints side by side, the images from my X Pro 1 sensor are better in just about every way. I'm very happy with 16x24 inch prints from the Fuji system, and 12x18 are a piece of cake. (Assuming good technique, but that's true for any camera.)

As I am not primarily a landscape shooter, this comment is worth what you paid for it :), but I do shoot a fair amount of architectual and landscape stuff along with the candid people and photo-J.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

spencerD

« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2014, 06:31:06 pm »

Hi JV, Bennett,

Thanks for the response, think I'm beginning to beat a dead horse!
Just going to order the dang thing and be done with it. Worst case have between 30-45 days to return, although never return camera equipment before, so odds of me doing so is small. Took a look over at Imaging resource side by side in order of sharpness low to higher
40D, G10, XT-1 IN some parts XT-1 shows big improvement other parts of images small. Think with the right Raw converter and workflow should be fine. I'm not just basting all on IQ, want a camera that feels good and is fun to use. I have a sony RX100M2 and good IQ but not exciting to use, had lots more fun and because of that better images with the Canon S90, even through in a side by side the Sony clearly is superior. Looking for something that inspires me to go out and take pictures.

Dave

Ken Bennett

« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2014, 09:47:59 pm »

I have a lot of fun shooting with my Fujis. They are different, and for me there was a long learning curve trying to figure out what the engineers were thinking :) The zooms are very good, and the primes are excellent (though I wouldn't choose the 18 for landscape work.) I do think they excel at street, candid, and photojournalism, but I have made some good photos on a tripod. Takes a little getting used to the user interface if you didn't shoot film cameras with aperture rings and shutter speed dials.

spencerD

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2014, 10:05:29 pm »

Learning curve, how long will that take!?

JUst stumbled onto this web site. Guy writes about moving from Canon full frame to the XT-1
Good read and he takes some very nice sea scape pictures.

benjacobsenphoto.com

Dave

spencerD

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2014, 10:09:28 pm »

Forgot, go to his blog and then to first tile called Fuji switch.

Dave

Ken Bennett

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2014, 07:17:37 am »

Learning curve, how long will that take!?

I think that depends on a lot of different factors. For me, picking up a new camera is normally a matter of setting a few things in the menus and shooting with it -- takes a couple of hours, tops. The Fujis took several months before I was comfortable shooting with them. I think part of that is they are first generation bodies, so they are much slower in autofocus and shooting/handling speed than the Canons. Another part is that I kept trying to use them like the Canons, instead of embracing them for what they are.

I expect the XT1 would be a smoother, faster transition.

AFairley

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2014, 10:27:45 am »

On raw converters for the Fujisawa, check out Photo Ninja for the PC, 2-week trial available.  Not as easy to use as LR for me, and more laggy on the sliders with sometimes glacial redraws, but in my experience delivers more detail then LR conversions without introducing artifacts.  Danger is that it is easy to overdo in PN so photos look too "digital."  That said, I find that on some images, LR gives equally good results, on others not so.  A photographer named Thomas Fitzgerald has some good posts about his experience using Photo Ninja with Fuji files, I don't have the link but google will easily find his blog articles.

However, my dream is that Adobe will eventually pay some attention to its X-tran sensor algorithms so LR can always do justice to the Fuji files.  Photo Ninja is a dog to use compared to LR plus missing stuff like local adjustments (so after initial processing in PN I finish up in LR).
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 10:38:14 am by AFairley »

Herbc

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2014, 10:35:09 am »

You are in good company with Oly or Fuji.  13x19 prints are no problem for m4/3.  On the other hand, if you can put up with the larger lenses, the Sony A7/r/ or even the discontinued NEX-7 will produce 24x36 prints that will stand any scrutiny.

spencerD

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2014, 10:35:37 am »

Afairly,

Much thanks for the info, I understand about over doing it, time to time I have blundered and after printing realize I went over the top. Will check out that persons comments.

Dave

spencerD

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2014, 10:46:41 am »

Bennnett,

Thanks, I was half kidding about how long it would take.
From an old joke about needing patients. The person replies , patients how long will that  take?
I do get your point, a friend once loaned me his Fiji X10 for a day.

AS much as I liked the look and feel of it, I did not get on with it.
At some point I turned on the flash and it took me 30 min's to turn it off and I never figured out what I did to do so! Decided I know how to use an DSLR, if I can't easily turn a flash on and off, it's not the camera for me.
Through the years friends and strangers would ask me how to turn a flash on and off on any ca,era and it was always to me self evident, not with that Fiji!

I get your point about not treating or trying to use the Fiji as if it were a Canon.
That will likely be a challenge for me. I'm not happy my Sony 100M2 does not work like my Canons, laughing..

Dave

spencerD

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2014, 11:02:20 am »

Hi Herbc,

Thats good to know. My printer only goes to 13 x 19 and even if I replace someday don't see going wider than a  17 inch printer. The EM1 is very impressive per resolution test at Imaging Resource it is equal to or tad higher 2400 for the Oly 2300 for the Fuji. IR says no gain in resolution using Raw files but they were using an early version I think of Adobe. Hope other Raw converter will pull more out of Raw. Either way the Fiju seems typical resolution for the MP it has. The Oly with same MP on smaller sensor and equal plus resolution is very impressive, see why people like that camera so much. Some claim color and 3D look from the Fuji is slightly better, assume thats more personal than factual. Either way understand one can't just go with resolution numbers it's a guideline to use, but other factors are important in similar resolution cameras. Now clearly if camera A has a Res of 2300 and camera B is 1800. We are talking two different levels but 2300 vs 2400 or 2500 Id think other factors will weigh in.

Dave

spencerD

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2014, 03:22:10 pm »

Hi all,

Wanted to thank you for the responses and advise.
JUst ordered the XT-1 in Kit form, along with B+W KSM MRC Pol and corresponding UV MRC filter.

If all works out and I click with the XT-1, then the 10-24Mmm is in my near future  ;D.

A question regarding Raw converters, of which I will down load and start trying, but is there a consensus which ones work faster, redrawing and such. In the past have tried some that were so slow, it took all the joy out of it. I like quick  A/B comparing of my image and when the re-draw is so slow comparing to me is hard at best impossible at worst.
I'm use to fairly fast responses.

Getting Kinda excited!

Dave

Ken Bennett

« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2014, 04:11:11 pm »

A question regarding Raw converters, of which I will down load and start trying, but is there a consensus which ones work faster, redrawing and such.

I just use Lightroom for everything. Like any camera, there is some controversy over the "best" raw converter, but LR works for what I need.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up