Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?  (Read 5103 times)

PBC

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 212
    • http://www.philcorley.com
Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« on: August 27, 2014, 07:07:38 am »

Now I know there is no perfect or right answer to this, but I thought I would ask for some opinions - especially from those that are using a Pentax 645Z...

I am moving from a Pentax 645D to the 645Z (may keep the D as a spare, or sell it to recover some of the cost) and currently have the 35mm A, 55mm DFA, 75mm FA, 150mm FA and 80-160mm Zoom.  But I am missing the wider angles for my Landscape work (mostly coastal and mountains, f/11 to f/16 normal range).

So, I am looking at a few options...

1. Order the new 28-45mm zoom (not sure on how optically good this will be?) and sell the 35mm A

2. Keep the 35mm A (seems a good copy, but will the extra demand of the Z change this?) and buy the 25mm

3. Just use stitching and focus stacking to go wider (for FOV and DOF) - and not buy anything new.

As said, I know there is no right answer, but I would appreciate thoughts espeically from 645Z users

Thanks
Logged

Royce Howland

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 155
    • Vivid Aspect Photography
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07:01 am »

I have most of the lenses you describe and have been using them all in working up my 645Z after ~4 years of shooting the D. So far I've not found any lenses that I was happy with on the D that fail to perform on the Z. So I don't expect that to be an issue for you either... if you like it now, keep using it on the Z and you'll probably still like the results.

As to the wider angles, nobody will really be able to advise what's right for you, unless you perhaps indicate a budget and whether you prefer to spend money or time. You've got several choices that essentially boil down to a trade-off in flexibility vs. cost. And that's assuming the new DA 28-45mm performs very well; if it doesn't, that option goes away. :)

I have the DA 25mm, and both the A and FA 35mm, followed by the FA 45-85mm. I won't be getting rid of any of them, unless it's possibly the FA 35mm if I ever decide to get the new 28-45mm. The A 35mm is too useful to let go of, and the DA 25mm has those extra 3mm that I sometimes really want on the wide end so I won't be letting go of it either. The DA 28-45mm has a flexible range of focal lengths + optical stabilization, and hopefully delivers excellent image quality. If so, it will appeal to me... but the cost is something that will slow me down from acquiring it given that I'm keeping the 25mm.

As for digital post like stitching and focus stacking, I do that all the time. But if I can avoid it by using a more appropriate lens, that's my preferred choice. I use digital multi-frame techniques mainly to do things the lenses can't do natively regardless of which lens.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:16:33 am by Royce Howland »
Logged

tsjanik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 720
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »

Phil:

Yours is a choice I face.  The Pentax 25mm and zoom are both heavy and expensive.  Just to add to your list of choices: a Sony A7r with Zeiss 21mm and maybe a Samyang 14mm.  Wider, cheaper and lighter :)

Tom
Logged

PBC

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 212
    • http://www.philcorley.com
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 05:13:27 pm »

Ah the non-MF choices :-)  Actually I moved from a D800e with Zeiss primes to the Pentax as I just didn't feel comfortable with using the D800e  For some reason I just don't like using the smaller cameras, but feel really comfortable with the size and layout of the Pentax.  So it isn't just IQ that is keeping me attached to the Pentax

But still it is a difficult; I need to get a wider view, but it is not an easy choice. I expect I will wait until the 28-45 is available (mid-September I hear) and see what the reviews are like.  If its IQ is great at my apertures, which I would have thought it would be, I am favouring the zoom - filters, range replaces the 35mm (and maybe the 55mm).

But that is 2 weeks away :-)
Logged

tsjanik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 720
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 06:42:58 pm »

I've postponed buying the 25mm for so long that I may as well wait for the zoom; at least it takes front filters and I have 82mm filters left from my 67 lenses.  I will likely keep the 35mm A.  It's a great lens -sharp and light and worth very little in the used market.  I may still get a Sony though. ;D
Logged

ErikKaffehr

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11311
    • Echophoto
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 11:11:07 pm »

I have the Samyang on my Alpha 99, it is very sharp. It also has a lot of moustache type distortion.


Here are some images taken with that lens (original size is full size): http://echophoto.smugmug.com/Technical/Samyang-1428/

BR
Erik


Phil:

Yours is a choice I face.  The Pentax 25mm and zoom are both heavy and expensive.  Just to add to your list of choices: a Sony A7r with Zeiss 21mm and maybe a Samyang 14mm.  Wider, cheaper and lighter :)

Tom
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:15:22 pm by ErikKaffehr »
Logged
Erik Kaffehr
 

andrewsk

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 12:41:08 pm »

If it helps, I have almost the exact same lens lineup as you on the Wide-Middle end. I am choosing option A as long as the lens reviews well, although ill keep the 35A as I got it for a great deal and it is very light.

I just LOVE the idea of having some zoom flexibility and the STABILIZATION. IF you are shooting wide, your positioning and perhaps even the need for a tripod in some situations will be far more flexible. Less need to change lenses.

I think the new lens is due in Sept. I have pre-ordered, so im happy to pop in and give some early opinions if no one else has :)

Keith
Logged

PBC

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 212
    • http://www.philcorley.com
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 07:08:41 pm »

We'll the 645Z arrives tomorrow :-)

And I think I will go with Option A and order the 28-45 zoom.  The price in the UK went up by £400 last week, but they are now giving you a free Pentax flash with the lens if you pre-order.

As I don't use flash no good for me, but the dealer says they will knock the value of the flash off the price, so it is back to nearly its pre-price rise - so much for the flash being free :-(
Logged

tsjanik

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 720
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2014, 08:00:13 pm »

That's quite the marketing scheme  ::).. 

Enjoy,

Tom
Logged

EricWHiss

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2639
    • Rolleiflex USA
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 02:59:56 am »

Does anyone here know who is doing the Rollei to Pentax conversions that keep showing up on ebay?  They seem very nicely done, but I'm betting the leaf shutter is removed so most probably irreversible. 
Logged
Rolleiflex USA

andrewsk

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 19
Re: Pentax Lens Choice for 645Z?
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2014, 12:44:57 pm »

I have been told that my 28-45mm zoom will be here this week! Ill have impressions and can answer any questions.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up