Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brothers  (Read 1115 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Brothers
« on: August 24, 2014, 12:21:24 am »

I have shot a rural dirt track race now three times; Memorial Day 2013 & 2014 and July 4 2014. I have posted a few of the images here in LL. There are a few images so far that I think can stand alone but my intent is to create a collection of images; each telling a segment of the whole story of the culture around this subset of people. At the start I expected to find a culture of wild, rebellious, not so honorable characters but I must say that is not the case. It seems to a family sport, especially for fathers teaching sons about more than being macho... about becoming honorable men; strong religious convictions; mutual honor and respect for fellow man. I have not seen alcohol; it is shunned. Nor drugs. Anyway I am rambling about the project.

Assuming you even like the image!!!...For this image I am asking opinions as to whether it contributes a piece of information to my story. If you think it does, what does it convey to you. Secondarily, if the color or black and white version is more meaningful. Processing opinions. And Finally, of course I am still a newbie and don't always know when I am roasting turds as Russ like call it, so tell me that too. All it can do is help me. Thanks in advance, -t
One Day At A Time

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
Re: Brothers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2014, 11:32:08 am »

Todd - the left half of the frame is uninteresting and does not contribute to the whole.  What is "potentially" interesting are the feet/legs coming up from under the car - I would work "this angle" some more...and as before I don't think B/W does much for this series. There is an emotional impact from the color of cars cars etc. etc..I wouldn't lose that. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2014, 01:08:25 pm »

Hard to judge without seeing the rest of the series, Todd. You could post on Behance and show work in progress. I am trying to do that. I think the idea of the "documentary" is a good one. I follow Brandt's comments and pushed the left side of the image off screen, leaving only the feet of the young man on the left and found it more enigmatically interesting. Keep after it and I look forward to seeing how it comes out as a story. I have a similar assignment on deck with NYIP, which I am struggling with.

Bruce Cox

• flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 03:33:42 pm »

I think you know what you are doing.

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 03:36:39 pm »

Todd - the left half of the frame is uninteresting and does not contribute to the whole.  What is "potentially" interesting are the feet/legs coming up from under the car - I would work "this angle" some more...and as before I don't think B/W does much for this series. There is an emotional impact from the color of cars cars etc. etc..I wouldn't lose that. /B
Thanx Brandt for this reply and all the others about this project
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 03:40:44 pm »

I think you know what you are doing.
like your crop MUCH better than mine. I like the duality created by the boys in your crop; and the duality created by the tires in second Version in reply to Brandt and David
One Day At A Time

Todd Suttles

• Todd Suttles
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 03:44:09 pm »

Hard to judge without seeing the rest of the series, Todd. You could post on Behance and show work in progress. I am trying to do that. I think the idea of the "documentary" is a good one. I follow Brandt's comments and pushed the left side of the image off screen, leaving only the feet of the young man on the left and found it more enigmatically interesting. Keep after it and I look forward to seeing how it comes out as a story. I have a similar assignment on deck with NYIP, which I am struggling with.

David- That's a great idea, thanks. I'll set that up  and go find yours before I post any more individuals here. -t
One Day At A Time

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 03:54:08 pm »

Todd - not sure if this frame could be a final as is/or cropped...but if you get another chance (and it looks like you might)...you might try as an option... to get the crews under cars a bit "more obliquely" with a wide lens like a 24...so you get the vibrant colors/patterns/logos/insignias...and the "energy" of the legs/feet akimbo (and white sneakers are the best)...with some wide angle distortion...there is a lot of potential "drama" in this...that may make a more powerful single.  /Brandt
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 04:02:44 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up