Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nkaseni Aloes  (Read 1362 times)

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
Nkaseni Aloes
« on: August 22, 2014, 05:51:10 am »

This is a slight change from what I normally do. Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
Re: Nkaseni Aloes
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 09:40:59 am »

I don't know William. I see a lot of cactus here in Arizona now and find it very interesting visually, of course I don't have the breaking surf behind it. There is always this detritus around the bottom of the plan when I point the lens towards the ground and, for me, it tends to spoil the shot. Compositionally, framing the surf with the two trees is a good idea although I would have been tempted the turn the camera slightly left and take a short step to the right; the cactus that touches the left side of the frame bothers me. I see the moon rising in the sky that might have warranted a telephoto of it and the surf. Maybe that's a cliche, but it is one I would have wanted to explore. Finally, it's awfully busy and I don't know quite what I am supposed to be looking at. Rendering looks good to me.
Thinking about it some more, if the intent was to frame the surf (probably not, based on the title) then I think it does not work. If your intention was to make a "portrait" of the aloes, the I personally think there is too much other stuff going on. I know lot's of folks like that. Whatever happened to Harald? He's done some of these with a certain degree of success. We'll see what the others think. Thanks for posting.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 09:47:32 am »

Forgive me, but to me, this is more the shot. Apologies to Russ ;)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:01:28 pm »

No apologies needed, David. There are times when you simply have to crop. I took a little off the top and a little off the bottom of "The Game." I had the equivalent of a 50mm lens on the E-P1 and I walked in close enough that the subjects were filling the frame laterally, but the aspect ratio on the E-P1's four-thirds sensor included too much vertically, so I had to chop it. I think you always should compose on the camera, but sometimes the composition you're after isn't exactly what's in the finder.

But in this case I do prefer William's original, nicely balanced framing.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 02:06:47 pm »

Busy. I like the idea behind Dave's suggested crop, but I think it would have been more successful if the crop was applied at the moment of capture (i.e., by changing a viewpoint and thus the compositional relationship between the single cactus and the two trees).

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 01:59:14 am »

There are times when you simply have to crop.

I'm going to print that and frame it. After cropping appropriately, of course.

Jeremy

rogerxnz

• Hayman Lawyers
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 02:55:27 pm »

I think David's crop misses the point of the photo—the aloes. IMO, the shot is not a landscape with an aloe in the front for interest. It is a shot of the aloes which are wonderfully lit in the early morning sun (my guess).

There are two groups of aloes and I would exclude the right-hand one because it is unnecessary, sits separately from the main group and has an ugly dead branch sitting on it.

Here is my crop. I would probably boost the vibrancy and clone out the unattractive branch owing in from the left!
Roger
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 03:00:03 pm by rogerxnz »
Roger Hayman
Wellington, New Zealand

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 11:17:53 am »

Perhaps the last possible crop: the photograph is a bit less busy, less cropped, and the most relevant aloes are safe. (But I prefer the original photograph).

P.S. I think that on the background there isn't a surf, there is a plain with mist.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 11:24:42 am by muntanela »

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 02:01:03 am »

Whew! That was interesting...Thanks for all the suggestions, I will leave it for a while and have another look later.

Bye the way, that is South Africa'a third largest river - the Tugela - in the background (serious Zulu territory!).

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:58:27 pm »

Too much going on, so it's in the "fuzzy concept" zone. Not sure if any amount of cropping would allow it to work.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up