Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Turbans of Rajasthan  (Read 1045 times)

Rajan Parrikar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3950
    • Rajan Parrikar
Turbans of Rajasthan
« on: August 20, 2014, 05:16:20 pm »

More in my blog post.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:46:06 pm by Rajan Parrikar »
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:11:08 pm »

That's a fine set of portraits, Rajan.
Can you tell me just what instrument the third one is playing? A Sitar? Dilruba? Something else?
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rajan Parrikar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3950
    • Rajan Parrikar
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:21:09 pm »

That's a fine set of portraits, Rajan.
Can you tell me just what instrument the third one is playing? A Sitar? Dilruba? Something else?


Eric,

He belongs to a sect of itinerant folk musicians known as the Bhopas.  I recently made a separate post on them here.  The ancient instrument he is playing is known as Ravanahatta, and it is considered to be a precursor of the modern violin family.  A couple of videos on YouTube -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRUW0IF-emc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T4FFNe14O8

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 06:46:37 am »

That's a fine set of portraits, Rajan.
…

I agree 100%! Fantastic faces with rich colors. I don't know why but looking at those portraits makes me feel like Welcome in India.
Logged
Francois

stamper

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 5882
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 06:49:35 am »

Worth the effort to post them. A good colour palette.

langier

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1565
    • Celebrating Rural America, the Balkans and beyond
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 09:15:23 am »

+1!
Logged
Larry Angier
ASMP, ACT, & many more! @sacred_icons
https://angier-fox.photoshelter.com

William Walker

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1204
    • William Walker Landscapes
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 09:45:31 am »

Rajan, with respect, I think that it is brave to step into "Steve McCurry territory"!

I cannot help but make that association when I see these pictures. Perhaps I am being unfair...is this Steve McCurry territory?
Logged
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

PeterAit

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 4647
    • Peter Aitken Photographs
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 09:53:47 am »

Excellent! And, I might add, one of the best mustaches ever.
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 12:01:43 pm »

William's got a point. This literally is Steve McCurry territory. Actually, good portraits are good portraits wherever they're made, but geography breeds commonality. These are good portraits and Peter's right: One of the best mustaches I've seen in the past 84 years.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rajan Parrikar

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3950
    • Rajan Parrikar
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 12:08:53 pm »

Thank you, gentlemen.  India is a good place for photography provided one is willing to sacrifice comfort.

William, at the time I took these shots (2007), I hadn't heard of Steve McCurry :-).

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Turbans of Rajasthan
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 12:36:42 pm »

Right, Rajan, not many people had. My point was that if you make portraits in India they're going to look like Steve's portraits. You can't avoid it.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up