Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: From Lightroom to Capture One  (Read 6971 times)

StuartOnline

• Travels Photographer Stuart Schaefer
From Lightroom to Capture One
« on: August 18, 2014, 07:12:19 pm »

Over the past week I have been in the process of moving from Lightroom 5.6 to Capture One 7.2.3. Still plan to use LR for some features.
My question is there any real advantage to also having Media Pro? Currently they are running a special and can purchase it for $99.00. Currently I am trying a trial version.

Stu

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
Re: From Lightroom to Capture One
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 07:44:10 pm »

My question is there any real advantage to also having Media Pro? Currently they are running a special and can purchase it for $99.00. Currently I am trying a trial version.

What I've gathered reading posts about Media Pro is that it may be withering away from neglect. And it's a shame because Capture One Pro's library features are very underpowered.

My own hope is that a new version of C1 (soon?) would roll Media Pro's features (more or less) into C1.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

StuartOnline

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2014, 07:55:48 pm »

What I've gathered reading posts about Media Pro is that it may be withering away from neglect. And it's a shame because Capture One Pro's library features are very underpowered.

My own hope is that a new version of C1 (soon?) would roll Media Pro's features (more or less) into C1.

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I got that impression also. It would be cool if they did roll in some of the features from Media Pro into C1. Have only been using a C1 for a few weeks now, but must say I am impressed. Everything seems to run faster in C1 then LR. Also getting some great results.

Stu

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »

Have only been using a C1 for a few weeks now, but must say I am impressed. Everything seems to run faster in C1 then LR. Also getting some great results.

I tried to make my switch from Aperture to C1. But the trail ended at the library - especially painful after Aperture, which I believe to have best-in-class library features (I know there are those who disagree).

So I've ended up at Lightroom. For me:
    Image adjustment: C1 > Lr > Ap
    Library: Ap > Lr > C1
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 11:45:09 am »

I am a full time session user, so the catalog features of LR hinder me, and love the fact that Capture One gives you the option of either. 

As for Media Pro, I would hold off until Capture One pro 8 is released, it's likely to be fairly soon and more than likely will be introduced by Photokina.  If it's like all past versions, from C1 7 to 8 will be a pay upgrade, usually 99.00.  One of the biggest complaints about C1 7 seems to be strength of the catalog, so you may wish to see if there are any improvements with version 8. 

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

StuartOnline

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 12:36:11 pm »

I tried to make my switch from Aperture to C1. But the trail ended at the library - especially painful after Aperture, which I believe to have best-in-class library features (I know there are those who disagree).

So I've ended up at Lightroom. For me:
    Image adjustment: C1 > Lr > Ap
    Library: Ap > Lr > C1

Thanks Bob for your input. Hopefully their will be an upgrade to C1 coming soon that will take care of the catalog issues.

Stu

StuartOnline

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 12:40:18 pm »

I am a full time session user, so the catalog features of LR hinder me, and love the fact that Capture One gives you the option of either. 

As for Media Pro, I would hold off until Capture One pro 8 is released, it's likely to be fairly soon and more than likely will be introduced by Photokina.  If it's like all past versions, from C1 7 to 8 will be a pay upgrade, usually 99.00.  One of the biggest complaints about C1 7 seems to be strength of the catalog, so you may wish to see if there are any improvements with version 8. 

Paul

Paul,

Thank you for your reply. Now that sounds interesting that their maybe an upgrade coming to C1 soon. If they upgrade with a better catalog system that would be nice. Will be keeping an on any announcements that maybe coming.

Stu

Doug Anderson

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 05:02:52 pm »

My first experience with Capture One was working with my wife's Fuji X images. As a longtime LR user it took me a while to figure out what controls were where but I got up to speed with it pretty well and she was very happy with the results. I told her I might move my own work over to C1. That idea came to a screeching halt when I learned that C1 does not import grayscale files. All of my work is with scanned B&W film. I have no interest in outputting 48-bit color scanned files. We'll both stick with LR for now.

Jim MSP

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 12:00:58 pm »

Stu
A bit of background: I am a serious amateur, not a professional, who uses CO, MP, and LR. I have tried multiple DAMs and raw processors on my Windows systems.

I'll answer you primary question - yes, imo, there is a big advantage to using MP. I use CO in a sessions mode, and you can send just a few photos from a large shoot into a CO session  and begin to edit immediately without waiting for CO to load and preview the whole large number of files.
That said, MP seems to be neglected. I don't like the limited CO catalog capability.
I currently use LR, MP, and CO in a workflow some would call complicated, but it works for me. I follow the path of "use what works best for the job at hand".

LR is my primary DAM - I import, rename, cull and rate everything in LR, saving everything to xmp sidecar files. I even post process my "sbapshots" with LR.
I tend to put photos into a filing system by year, with subfolders based on event, place, date, etc.
I maintain a small MP catalog for the current year. I have found a small MP catalog is quite stable, and quickly updates.
After LR, I switch to MP, update the current catalog, choose the few photos I want to PP in CO, and open them in a CO session. I will export any work into subfolders.
Later, I go back into LR, re-sync the main folder, and my main DAM is up to date.

I would be hard pressed to recommend that you buy MP, however; that is unless Phase one would give you any credit towards a new CO 8.0 which might have a much better catalog system.

allegretto

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 09:10:11 am »

MP is a great, but slightly flawed program in m hands

The great advantage is that you can link a virtually unlimited number of useful file-types to a given project. Still, vids, music, scripts... whatever and when you want it all together, right now, there it is

yes, a bit confusing at first. Delete all catalogs you create but don't use, otherwise it's Hell. It is not a developing program like CO orLR  Don't export from it. It is best as a catalog. A very complete and good one. But key wording still sux

If CO 8 has better keywordng and some of MP's features it will be great...

StuartOnline

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:17:38 am »

Thanks for all the input on my question. For now I am just going to stick with C1 and Lightroom and wait to see if there will be a Capture One Version 8 coming soon. If they do some of the upgrades I have been hearing about Capture One could become a full-time goto program.

Stu

eleanorbrown

• Eleanor Brown Photography
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 12:16:17 pm »

I use both Lightroon and Capture One.  If I trash images from a folder LR is there an easy way to sync my C1 catalog to then match the content of the folder in Lightroom after I deleted the image files? Thanks, Eleanor
Eleanor Brown
[url=http://www.eleanorbro

Daniel Salazar

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2014, 08:07:29 am »

hi Elena, in C1 right click on the folder where you have your images in your catalog and click in synchronize.
Pages: [1]   Go Up