Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: canon film camera modern lenses  (Read 6334 times)

boogotti

canon film camera modern lenses
« on: August 17, 2014, 10:09:33 am »

Hi,
im thinking of getting an old canon film camera (maybe canon A1?) (i want to shoot 35mm film)
So was wondering, what the oldest canon camera i can use to work with my modern canon L glass?

im not worried about having auto focus and light metering in the camera. as long as my modern glass fits the camera with out damaging the lenses.

thanks

TSJ1927

Re: canon film camera modern lenses
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:28:17 am »

The A-1 is the old non-electronic lens system body (FD System).  I used them in the late 70 and early 80's.

boogotti

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 10:59:52 am »

would i be able to mount a modern lens to it? i dont mind manually focusing the lens?

viewfinder

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:51:11 am »

The FD mount was manual focus only.     The first AF canon using the current 'EF' mount was the EOS(electro-optical system) 650 in about 1987.

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 08:27:48 pm »

No, the A-1 would take FD mount lenses. The Canon mount changed completely when they brought out the EF autofocus system.

You could find an old EOS-1 or EOS-1n body. They were professional 35mm film cameras that took the new EF lenses. At the time, they were pretty amazing :) The A2 and A2e bodies were popular, as was the EOS 3.

KEH.com has the EOS 1 for $99. Wow. The A2 is $43.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

melchiorpavone

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:48:45 pm »

Hi,
im thinking of getting an old canon film camera (maybe canon A1?) (i want to shoot 35mm film)
So was wondering, what the oldest canon camera i can use to work with my modern canon L glass?
thanks

EF lenses, or FD lenses? the mounts are incompatible.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 09:25:44 pm by melchiorpavone »

rgs

• Richard Smith Photography
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 07:51:16 am »

(i want to shoot 35mm film)

Each to his own of course but one question. Why? 35mm was so bad compared to roll film cameras of the time and modern digital. Back in those days, I did everything I could to avoid 35mm. Why not consider a MF film camera. I'll bet you could find one for a similar price and get the same film look (really worthwhile) without all the grain and softness of 35mm. Look for an old Pentax 67 (35mm on steroids) or one of the Fuji 6x7 rangefinders with fixed lenses, a Mamyia 7, or even an old TLR (Mamyia, Rollei, of Yashica).

melchiorpavone

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 09:49:53 am »

Each to his own of course but one question. Why? 35mm was so bad compared to roll film cameras of the time and modern digital. Back in those days, I did everything I could to avoid 35mm. Why not consider a MF film camera. I'll bet you could find one for a similar price and get the same film look (really worthwhile) without all the grain and softness of 35mm. Look for an old Pentax 67 (35mm on steroids) or one of the Fuji 6x7 rangefinders with fixed lenses, a Mamyia 7, or even an old TLR (Mamyia, Rollei, of Yashica).

Yes, Hasselblads are quite cheap nowadays.

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 11:25:33 am »

Hey guys - come on!  The OP wants a cheap 35mm film camera - roll film is a completely different.

35mm is cheap, lightweight, and you can get 36 frames on a roll of film.  The image quality may not be medium format but it was good enough for a huge number of superb classic pictures.  The other cameras you mention are all flawed too - Pentax 67 is like a brick, a TLR has the image reversed left to right, and the Fuji's have fixed lenses.  An old 35mm camera with two or three lenses might only cost $200 or even less depending on make.

Don't get me wrong - I used to love MF film, but it is very different to using 35mm.

Jim

rgs

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:31:46 am »

The big Pentax is not a brick. It is a nice handling camera even if a little heavy. It's just a big DSLR and, on location, the only thing that might match it is a Hassy. The 67 was my main camera for 20+ years. Even shot weddings with it - lots of 'em. (It was a little loud during the ceremony  :) )

melchiorpavone

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:47:40 am »

Hi,

im not worried about having auto focus and light metering in the camera. as long as my modern glass fits the camera with out damaging the lenses.

thanks

The oldest EOS camera is the 650. Why do that? Get a recent EOS-1 film camera!

http://www.kenrockwell.com/canon/eos/1v.htm

Jim Pascoe

• http://www.jimpascoe.co.uk
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 12:05:37 pm »

The big Pentax is not a brick. It is a nice handling camera even if a little heavy. It's just a big DSLR and, on location, the only thing that might match it is a Hassy. The 67 was my main camera for 20+ years. Even shot weddings with it - lots of 'em. (It was a little loud during the ceremony  :) )

Okay - I was being a little rude about what is a great camera - just making the point that it is a bit different to a 35mm system in weight and portability! ;D  In fact I did once almost buy the Pentax 67 but in the end opted for an RB67 - which was also a lovely camera to use - I just loved the rotating back.

And I do agree that if you want the best quality from film then of course MF is the way to go - especially as the old systems are painfully cheap now - almost makes me want to buy some old gear again.....

Jim

rgs

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 02:41:36 pm »

I always liked the RB but never had any studio work and you talk about a brick outside - those things just need a studio to shine.

Telecaster

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 05:00:11 pm »

Each to his own of course…but actually you should forget about what you want to do and instead listen to me. I really do know better.

Glad to be of help!

-Dave-

(There are plenty of used EOS film cameras to choose from should you insist on abasing yourself. You might even have some, uhhh, fun in the process.)

melchiorpavone

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 05:16:16 pm »

Each to his own of course…but actually you should forget about what you want to do and instead listen to me. I really do know better.

Glad to be of help!

-Dave-

(There are plenty of used EOS film cameras to choose from should you insist on abasing yourself. You might even have some, uhhh, fun in the process.)

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Film-Cameras-/15230/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=canon+eos&rt=nc&LH_PrefLoc=2

rgs

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2014, 05:33:14 pm »

Glad to be of help!

-Dave-

;D

I love it. I did, however, think the OPs question had been properly answered before chiming in.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 05:36:40 pm by rgs »

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2014, 07:06:38 pm »

I've been a Canon guy since 1981, but I haven't used my A2E in 10 years now. I do have an Olympus OM-1 rig that I would probably still take out if I wanted to shoot 35mm, mostly because it doesn't need batteries.

And then there's my Leica IIIf. A royal pain just to load film into, much less shoot with. I would never recommend one of those to anyone. It's like trying crack or heroin...

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2014, 09:29:59 pm »

And then there's my Leica IIIf. A royal pain just to load film into, much less shoot with. I would never recommend one of those to anyone. It's like trying crack or heroin...

Perhaps it's more like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. :)
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

Misirlou

• http://
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 10:05:06 pm »

Perhaps it's more like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. :)

No, there's no pleasure in hitting yourself on the head, at least that I know of. Leicas, even 60 year old ones, can produce remarkable images. That's why we put up with them.

Telecaster

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 04:28:46 pm »

I keep mine in good working order but it's been about a decade since I actually took photos with it. Can't be bothered cutting a proper film leader and then still having to fight with the damn thing. I still remember my dad's reaction to his first time loading it: "Who the hell designed this?!"   ;D

-Dave-
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up