Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ipf8300 fix or replace?  (Read 3945 times)

mstevensphoto

• Denver Commercial Photographer
ipf8300 fix or replace?
« on: August 14, 2014, 11:06:52 pm »

Hey folks,
    I'm missing yellow on my ipf8300. on the nozzle check a while block of the yellow simply doesn't show up. I'm now down $900 for two print heads and $581 for a technician and new PCB board. The problem persists. I'm told that for $1280 we can replace the main board and that should do it, but the PCB board also should have done it. If not that then I have to replace the carriage and that adds another $800....before I spend any more I'm curious what you'd do, try to fix or just replace? the printer is pretty low use and shouldn't be having any of these problems (I print daily 5 days a week, but only one or two large prints). total use on the counter is 4620 sq feet. Thoughts?
thanks
Mark

Richard.Wills

• Photofusion Photography Centre
Re: ipf8300 fix or replace?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 03:42:08 am »

Couple of weeks ago, we were in a similar position - have a tech throw components at the machine, in the hope that something might stick (you forgot to factor in the costs of ink and maintenance tanks which will be used, as well as the 5-10 large prints you would have been making per week). We were six months past the end of a three year warranty.

Four days later (earliest my dealer could supply) we had an 8400 in place and running (with an extended warranty, of course).

Having read about the random costs of repair, we didn't even start the process. This frustrates me, as I'm used to taking things apart, tinkering, and repurposing them. At the moment, all the 8300 is good for is a spare media spindle for smaller paper cores. Oh, and a load of ink, which can be used in the 8400.

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 04:29:08 am »

If it's an entire block missing, it could very well be a faulty data cable from the main board to the head carriage, though it's most often the Photo Magenta that seems to fail in that instance. I went through the same thing on my iPF8300 around 18 months ago - there's a thread somewhere hereabouts detailing my experience - where the service tech. had me order two new heads and also replaced the carriage PCB, the main board and just about every other piece of electronics in the machine to no effect. In desperation and as a last resort, he finally thought to try replacing the flexible data cable, which fixed the missing block and other associated problems immediately. The machine has worked fine ever since. It might be worth a try before committing to any other major work or replacing the entire machine, as fitting a new data cable is a relatively simple and cheap job.

The techs really ought to know about this, as it appears to be a relatively common point of failure, but few of them seem to do so and end up just blindly replacing major circuit boards in the hope that something will work.

If you do try that and it doesn't work, at least you'll have a spare cable if you buy an 8400 and it uses the same part, otherwise I'm sure you'll find a ready sale for it on eBay.

Good luck anyway.

Malcolm

Jeff Magidson

• Artslides Digital Imaging
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2014, 03:31:42 pm »

Hey folks,
    I'm missing yellow on my ipf8300. on the nozzle check a while block of the yellow simply doesn't show up. I'm now down $900 for two print heads and $581 for a technician and new PCB board. The problem persists. I'm told that for $1280 we can replace the main board and that should do it, but the PCB board also should have done it. If not that then I have to replace the carriage and that adds another $800....
Mark

I'm confused... as an IPF owner, I was under the impression that Canon out of warranty service calls where a flat $1,300 and for that fee they will replace/do what ever is needed to get you up and running excluding head replacements. Has Canon changed their policy or are you using someone else for service?

~ Jeff

~ Jeff Magidson
Custom Archival Printing
http://artslidesboston.com

mstevensphoto

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2014, 05:58:16 pm »

If it's an entire block missing, it could very well be a faulty data cable from the main board to the head carriage, though it's most often the Photo Magenta that seems to fail in that instance. I went through the same thing on my iPF8300 around 18 months ago

Malcolm

thanks for the info. my tech has said that it could be the flex cable but he said do PCB board, then main board, then flex cable....like it would be the last thing to check. the flex cable costs $111 which makes it the cheapest of the parts. I'll see if he wants to try that first. I do not want to replace the main board. I've already filled a new maintenance cartridge 80% with all the screwing around and we're sitting at $1400 total money spent so far including everything but ink.  I wish I had known that canon's $1500 flat rate fix it no matter what would actually be a good deal. :(

mstevensphoto

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2014, 05:59:46 pm »

Jeff, the canon service call is now $1500. I was told that it "is very likely the PCB board, which will cost much less." if you start a repair with one of their authorized providers you can not then say "sign me up for the $1500....at the time it sounded like $500-800 would fix me. now I wish I had done the $1500.

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 04:25:57 am »

It's crazy to leave the flex cable until last - it's a known failure point (or should be by now, from customer and engineer feedback) and by far the cheapest and simplest fix, if it works. If it does prove to be that, you might try asking for compensation for the other 'unnecessary' replacements, though I don't know how far you're likely to get with that.

In my case the actual repairs were under a service contract but still cost me well in excess of £1000 for the new heads, new ink carts and maintenance tank that were needed. Adding insult to injury, the tech. tried three times to replace the right head with the old left head that I had just removed, having mistaken it for the new replacement and wasting yet more ink in the process, when in all probability neither head actually needed replacing at all. It does make you wonder how thoroughly some of these techs are actually trained. I did eventually manage to get some partial compensation from the service company towards the excess costs, but it was a tortuous and protracted struggle to get any sort of concession out of them and I was still substantially out of pocket at the end of it all.

These machines are incredible when they're working, but I do sometimes wonder whether they've now become just too complex for their own good, and/or if they are simply under-engineered and too fragile for that complexity, the propensity of Canons to blow major circuit boards as the result of a failed head if the 'replace printhead' warning is over-ridden being a prime example.

You're still way ahead of us in the UK, though; not only do your printers cost a lot less, but as far as I know, we don't have any sort of 'flat rate' repair option available. You either sign up in advance for a service contract at ca. £800 p.a. (+ VAT @ 20%), or you're on your own ...

I shall be very interested to see where this one ends up - hope you manage to resolve it without further major expenditure.

Malcolm

mstevensphoto

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 09:03:02 pm »

I'm currently considering an ipf8400. I'm $1200 into this printer and I'm miffed that the main board is $900 and NOT returnable if it's not the problem. why on earth must I buy a $900 part just to see if it works, but then keep it if it wasn't the source?
 Really an ipf8400 is $3299 after rebates, comes with new warranty, new ink and will use the leftover ink from the 8300. I HATE to make this printer disposable, but I see very little reason to keep going.

hoping for a source for a flex cable if anyone knows of one.

arobinson7547

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 03:49:29 am »

I have seen the current $800 mail-in rebate, for the 8400.

Please where can you get the $3299 final cost, in the States?

mstevensphoto

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 11:43:38 am »

I have seen the current $800 mail-in rebate, for the 8400.

Please where can you get the $3299 final cost, in the States?

itsupplies.com
lexjet
shades of paper

mstevensphoto

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »

FYI, ItSupplies.com has a $3799 promo on the ipf8400 with free shipping, that makes it $2999 after rebate. pretty attractive with a full set of inks. I'm a big fan of it supplies.

arobinson7547

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 06:58:57 pm »

FYI, ItSupplies.com has a $3799 promo on the ipf8400 with free shipping, that makes it $2999 after rebate. pretty attractive with a full set of inks. I'm a big fan of it supplies.

I don't think anyone will ever do better than that ($2,999).

thanks all
Pages: [1]   Go Up