Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Flash Units  (Read 3618 times)

Mizzou_Chris

• http://www.thelensflare.com/u_photoguy86.php
Flash Units
« on: October 04, 2005, 12:41:11 pm »

Hello everyone.  I've posted this question in a couple of forums.  I just want to get as a many opinions as i can.  I am considering buying a new flash unit for my canon 20D.  The Canon 550ex was one unit i was looking at, but money is an issue.  My question is do any of you know if the Sigma EF-500 dg Super or the Sunpak PZ 5000 would be good alternatives?

-Chris
"I don't trust words. I trust pictures"

Yakim Peled

Flash Units
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:32:04 am »

I'd go for the 420EX or (if you can afford) 430EX. Third party flashes are a no-no as far as I am concerned for several reasons. The most important to me (YMMV) is their inability to provide AF assist to any AF point save from the central one.

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/
Happy shooting,
Yakim.

DarkPenguin

Flash Units
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2005, 11:11:37 am »

The 5000 will not work with the 20D without surgery.  Which is too bad because using it as an auto flash or in manual mode was far superior (well, easier) to using ETTL.

henrik2000

Flash Units
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 09:09:55 pm »

I use the Canon speedlite 580EX mounted on a bracket  (16 cm away from the lense) and I have to admit that I am pretty happy with the results. I tried to use a second speedlite (Infrared controlled as a slave) and it gives very nice results.

As I haven't used other flashes than the 580EX with my 20D I can't make comparaisons.
The only usefull extra that I use is the external Canon CPE3 converter (12 volts to 300 volts) giving shorter time in between shots.

I love the instant "studio" flash setup with the infrared controlled system.

But that's just me..

Cheers

henrik2000

Flash Units
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 09:11:03 pm »

I use the Canon speedlite 580EX mounted on a bracket  (16 cm away from the lense) and I have to admit that I am pretty happy with the results. I tried to use a second speedlite (Infrared controlled as a slave) and it gives very nice results.

As I haven't used other flashes than the 580EX with my 20D I can't make comparaisons.
The only usefull extra that I use is the external Canon CPE3 converter (12 volts to 300 volts) giving shorter time in between shots.

I love the instant "studio" flash setup with the infrared controlled system.

But that's just me..

Cheers

Mizzou_Chris

• http://www.thelensflare.com/u_photoguy86.php
Flash Units
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2006, 03:24:16 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I ordered the Canon 430ex earlier this week.  It should get here today.  Can't wait to use it.
"I don't trust words. I trust pictures"

benInMA

Flash Units
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2006, 04:31:14 pm »

I have a 420EX and I've used a 580 + 2 420EXs before with the wireless setup.  You can do some pretty neat stuff although I definitely didn't have the gear long enough to really learn it.

Separate question - is there any reason to buy the 430EX or the 580EX over the 420EX and 550EX if you have a full frame camera?

Is there anything new in the manual controls in the 580EX that would justify the extra money?   I think the street price of the 580EX is $80 more then the 550EX.

Just based on guide numbers it doesn't appear the newer more expensive units are worth the money.

(I understand if you have a crop sensor the new ones are absolutely better though)
« Last Edit: March 03, 2006, 04:31:58 pm by benInMA »
Pages: [1]   Go Up