Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DIY Lens Hood/Shade for Lee Filter's 100mm system  (Read 1937 times)

S. Schmidt

DIY Lens Hood/Shade for Lee Filter's 100mm system
« on: August 06, 2014, 09:16:37 am »

Because the bellows-type lens hoods manufactured by Lee Filters are very expensive and I had some concern about using them in conjunction with a CPL filter on the standard 100mm system, I opted to make my own lens hood/shade using two 8" x 10" foam boards that have one side covered with black paper. The top side is 8" x 8" and the sides are 8" x 5". I did not actually plan for the angle of the bellows hood so I have to watch where I place my DIY hood in relation to the lens. But the good news is this DIY project cost me less than $7!

To cover the underside of the white foam board, I found Shurtape CP-743 Matte Black paper tape at www.findtape.com. This tape is similar to masking or gaffer tape, and is specifically made for photographers. Individual rolls of the Matte Black paper tape can be purchased in widths ranging from 1/2" to 2". Please note the actual widths are slightly smaller (measured in millimeters), and it helps to measure/draw the widths on paper to determine the size(s) you will need. The on-line product description for Shurtape Cp-743 mentions its use in the dark room was well as repairing light leaks in a bellows-type lens hood. I think this tape will also be handy to have in the field. In addition, I think it could be a substitute for the black flocking material commonly used for making DIY lens hoods.

If you decide to get some of this Matte Black paper tape, let me know how it works for you.
Pages: [1]   Go Up