Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: can you tether shoot + save images to camera in capture one pro 7  (Read 11916 times)

cateuk

Hi There

I've just bought Capture One 7 Pro and I am tethering a Canon 5D Mark III - images are coming up on the macbook but I also want the images to save on my camera's SD Card, for back up etc

I can't figure it out can anyone help?

Thank you
Cate

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: can you tether shoot + save images to camera in capture one pro 7
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 09:59:06 am »

That is not possible currently. Many photographers including myself have asked Phase One to allow this but so far no interest as the request has been around for a few years now.

I shoot tethered in the field to a Surface Pro but only tend to shoot tethered for my first series at a particular scene. So I will have part of the days work on a card the rest on the PC.  Files will take different naming conventions depending on if the shot was tethered or not. When dumped into one folder and  opened in a C1 session they will be out of order since the file names will have different prefixes for non and tethered capture.

C1 allow you to sort by time/ date so they will all still show up in order.

I always found it strange also that since no images are written to the card during tethering, why. Card is required to be in the camera or back in my case.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

cateuk

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 10:05:58 am »

Ah well that explains why I can't find anything on google / FAQs etc!! But oh no I really can't believe that it doesn't do it? I thought that was a given, I wouldn't have bought the software had I known.

Thank you though at least I can stop searching how to do this!

Cate

Malcolm Payne

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 10:34:55 am »

Hi Cate,

It may not necessarily be entirely Phase One's fault - I don't know about Canons but, as I understand it, Nikon's SDK simply does not allow images to be saved on the card simultaneously while tethering, at least for my D3X. Their SDK also seems to have a number of other restrictions which limit what tethered functionality C1 is able to provide.

If you use C1's Import Images function you can set an automatic backup folder at import, but I don't think there's any way of doing that directly while tethered.

If you're looking for a cheap but highly functional tethering program, you could take a look at ControlMyCanon and see if that does what you need; they've just updated ControlMyNikon from v4.3 to v5.0, so presumably the Canon version will follow suit before too long. You can set a Hot Folder in C1 to pick up tethered images from a 3rd-party program automatically, though you lose some of the workflow advantages of tethering directly into C1 if you do it that way.

Hope that's of some help anyway.

Malcolm

David Grover / Capture One

• Capture One
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 01:23:00 pm »

Hi Cate,

It may not necessarily be entirely Phase One's fault - I don't know about Canons but, as I understand it, Nikon's SDK simply does not allow images to be saved on the card simultaneously while tethering, at least for my D3X. Their SDK also seems to have a number of other restrictions which limit what tethered functionality C1 is able to provide.

If you use C1's Import Images function you can set an automatic backup folder at import, but I don't think there's any way of doing that directly while tethered.

If you're looking for a cheap but highly functional tethering program, you could take a look at ControlMyCanon and see if that does what you need; they've just updated ControlMyNikon from v4.3 to v5.0, so presumably the Canon version will follow suit before too long. You can set a Hot Folder in C1 to pick up tethered images from a 3rd-party program automatically, though you lose some of the workflow advantages of tethering directly into C1 if you do it that way.

Hope that's of some help anyway.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm.

You are right, it is a limitation of the SDK available to us.

I would suggest using something like Chronosync to back up your tethered shoot.  This also has the added advantage that your adjustments will be backed up as well.

David

David Grover
Business Support and Development Manager

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 02:11:59 pm »

David,

Why is it a limit of a native Phase One back also?  I would assume that there would be no such limit as the Canon or Nikon files have since the Phase One files are controlled by Phase One.  It would be a great addition even it slowed down the tethered response a bit.  To me it seems as if the developers just choose to make it a on or off bit, i.e. tethered, then write to PC/MAC.  It's unfortunate that something like this can't be added in firmware as an option so people doing studio work, who may not care, could still go straight to the PC/MAC, but in the field, I think most photographers feel it would a great asset.  At least I do.

Paul
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up