Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony A7r and exposure bracketing mission impossible  (Read 6060 times)

Yemil

Sony A7r and exposure bracketing mission impossible
« on: August 03, 2014, 12:40:31 pm »

I have tried in a resent trip to soot 3 or five photos on the native AEB from the camera. , and only got 2 of them each time.
I always shot on manual and raw.  Minimal ISO (50-100) ,With the metabones adapter and a 21 mm zeiss (canon mount)
As far as I have read , sony a7r does not adjust exposure , instead it adjust only the ISO by letting the ISO on auto.
And using manual and setting the ISO to 50 or any other value different than auto is not possible.
From a photographers perspective who will like to shoot an HDR or AEB. with auto ISO ?

Is there a fix for this?
Am I wrong with my procedure?

Thanks in advance

Emilio Behar
Mexico

CptZar

Re: Sony A7r and exposure bracketing mission impossible
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 08:19:51 am »

When you use Auto ISO and Manual Mode, you can choose any aperture with any given exposure time and the A7r will adjust ISO in the predefined range (standard is 100-6400) and keep the selection you made. This is a very cool function. Lets say you do street,  use the 55/f1.8 and like to shoot with f5.6 and an exposure of 1/250. You dial that in and depending on the lighting, the camera will adjust ISO accordingly to keep those parameters.

If you want to use bracketing, I recommend you select an ISA value manual, or even better, you choose Aperture priority.

Cheers

Jan

Yemil

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 01:10:01 am »

The problem comes when you select an ISO Different than auto , the camera does not take the 3 or five pictures.
I like to make ISO on 50 or 100. And want to shoot AEB to take 5 photos with , let's say 1 stop between each.
The camera just does not take the photos.

Telecaster

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 04:54:21 pm »

When trying to shoot auto-bracketed exposures in full manual mode there's nothing left for the camera to adjust...so the bracketing can't work. Aperture priority is (almost always) the way to go for this, with a fixed ISO. Let the camera adjust shutter speed. The A7r is limited, though, in the AEB sequences it allows. You can do three-exposure sequences with up to 3 EV between each exposure, but a five-exposure sequence limits you to 0.7 EV between each one. Such limitations are IMO ridiculous but then Sony appears to suffer, as do the other camera makers, from we know best syndrome. (No, in fact you don't.)   ::)

Another thing: in Single Bracket mode you have to press the shutter button separately for each exposure.

-Dave-

Yemil

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 08:53:44 pm »

Well I understand that point , but my (old canon 5d mlll) can do it.   You can go manual get the AEB selecting the steps 3 or five with the ISO Set and the camera will adjust the exposure time for the shots , and if you select 2 seconds delay . It will take the shots  adjusting the exposure.  That's why is called auto exposure bracketing.  Not  (AIB) auto ISO bracketing.

I just wanted to check on my settings if I was wrong.  But Sony does not set the camera right if AEB is set.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 05:05:38 pm »

You can do the same on the a7r in full manual mode. Push the Navigator wheel in the left side. The Drive Mode selection menu appears at left. Using the Navigator wheel, scroll to BRK-C for continuous shooting. Select the interval, using the rear Control wheel. Push center button of Navigator wheel to select. Now, if you hold down the shutter release button, the camera will take a bracketed set of 3 images with different exposure times. You can choose the sequence in which they are recorded, in the menus: Custom Settings (sprocket icon)/4th menu, bottom: Bracket Order.

Good light!

donbga

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 08:22:30 am »

Now, if you hold down the shutter release button, the camera will take a bracketed set of 3 images with different exposure times. 

That's the rub; that is having to touch the camera for AEB sequences. Why Sony couldn't augment a simple wireless shutter release (or Wifi trigger via camera phone or tablet) to do this is a mystery.

Hening Bettermann

• landshape.net
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 12:40:54 pm »

That's the rub; that is having to touch the camera for AEB sequences. Why Sony couldn't augment a simple wireless shutter release (or Wifi trigger via camera phone or tablet) to do this is a mystery.

Well, they have. I do it with an infrared remote control. In the Setup menu (tool box icon), set sub-menu 3 'Remote Ctrl' to ON - ready.

Good light!
Pages: [1]   Go Up