Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive  (Read 1530 times)

Trevor Murgatroyd

Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive
« on: July 25, 2014, 01:49:14 pm »

In September I will spend several days driving the Blue Ridge Parkway and Skyline Drive from Ocanaluftee Visitor Centre in the south to Front Royal in the north. I realize there are hundreds of scenic overlooks on the road and will be many photo opportunities off the trail. It would be really useful if I get some recommendations from those of you who have done this trip already as to the best spots that I should not miss.

Many thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Trevor

framah

Re: Blue Ridge Parkway & Skyline Drive
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 04:55:14 pm »

Look for topo maps of the ridge and find the places where there are trails from the road to the edge. Most "lookouts" will be crowded with people like you...so be like someone else.

It is getting harder to find places along the road where there aren't too many people.

The smog in the valley is another problem.. also getting worse each year.
"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 06:59:36 pm »

It is certainly a beautiful area. But, at that time of year, be prepared for hoards of the "plaid shorts" gang driving huge motor homes at 5 miles per hour. The Blue Ridge is a two lane road (one in each direction) and passing is impossible.

Not photo-related, but on the Blue Ridge there is a large crafts center a little north of Asheville. It's a really great place with a lot of local artisan's work, pottery, woodwork, fabric, and so on. If you are interested in that sort of thing, it is definitely worth a stop. Hang onto your credit card!

Walt Roycraft

• roycraftart
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 08:54:58 am »

McKinney Gap is very nice (MM330) and Black Balsm Knob (MM 440) I went a couple years ago. Hap a few must see spots but also just picked up a local map at a visitor center and picked from there. There are some surprisingly nice opps from the pulloffs, but yes they can be crowded.
Walter Roycraft
http://www.roycraftart.c

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2014, 04:46:27 pm »

What part of September?
If you're traveling mid week, crowds aren't too bad.
So far this year we've had decent rains so the waterfalls along the parkway are full of water and any place with a waterfall is worth stopping at and taking the hike to the falls.
Because the elevation of southern end of the parkway fall colors tend to peak earliest at at the southern end.
A few of our favorite spots.
Graveyard Fields near milepost 419 on the Blue Ridge Parkway (about 37 miles south of Asheville, NC) is one of the most beautiful spots on the Parkway.
Take the hikes to upper and lower Yellowstone Prong Falls and you'll be away from most of the crowd.
Devils Courthouse at about milepost 423 hike to the top for views of the area.
Crabtree Falls is a pretty 71 feet waterfall near milepost 340 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Linville Falls at about milepost 315 is pretty. Take the easy hike an you'll be away from many of the people but the hike is still pretty popular.
Some photos and suggestions for Blue Ridge Parkway at http://ncsparks.com/blueridge/blueridge-main.php
Cascades Falls in E.B. Jeffress Park MP 272 is a a pretty waterfall with a relatively easy hike.
Julian Price Park at Milepost 305 or so has a pretty lake that you can hike around.
Just north of Julian Price Park is Moses Cone Park MP 300 or so. Lots of trails and a really nice craft center.
If you have an interest in blue grass traditional music, you should plan on stopping at the Music Center at mile post 213 on the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Stop at the Northwest Trading Post milepost 258 for a ham biscuit.
Mabry Mill at about milepost 175 in Virginia is almost must stop. If you're interested in wine you should check out the Chateau Morrisette
287 Winery Road SW (MP 171.5 Blue Ridge Pkwy) just north of Mabry Mill. You can ask at the mill store for directions. Even if you're not interested in wines, this is a great place for lunch or dinner.
The place where the James River crosses the Blue Ridge about MP 62 in Virginia is very pretty.  One of our favorite spots.
If you park your car and take any of the hikes, you'll find lots of beauty.
On the Skyline Drive
South River Falls  at mile 62.8 is impressive its about about a 3 mile round trip hike. Well worth the hike.
Big Meadow at about mile 50 is worth the stop. Hike around the meadow.
Dark Hallow Falls (Parking lot for trail is just north of Bid Meadow Parking lot) is impressive waterfall The trail is about 1.5 miles round trip and is steep.
Jones Run Falls at about mile 84 is about 3.5 mile round trip. The falls is not as high as others but is a long cascade with moss covered rocks. Very pretty.

If you stop everywhere there is a hike or a picture, you'll never get to the Skyline Drive. On our first trip on the Blue Ridge Parkway (following your route), we figured a few days would be sufficient (400 plus miles at 4mph easy 3 days). We typically made 50 miles a day.
So you'll have no problem filling your several days with great places.
When you plan your trip, be sure to go to http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/roadclosures.htm for road closures. There has been a lot of road closures along the parkway the past several years.
There's not much in the way of name brand lodging along the parkway. There are small motels just off the parkway and the small towns nearby have small motels. I suggest that you have plan how far you plan to travel each day and check out local lodging. Asheville, NC might be a good place to stop for the first day. Blowing Rock, NC might be good for a second night (100 miles from Asheville) Mount Airy, NC might work for 3rd night another  100 miles or so.
Go to the park way map at http://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/upload/BLRImap1-1.pdf for help in planning your trip.
Have fun.
Les
You won't find KFC or burger king here either.

Trevor Murgatroyd

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 05:21:10 pm »

Many thanks for all your replies, which are most helpful.

Les, my itinerary is:

Saturday, September 20 - Cumberland Gap to Ocanaluftee Visitor Centre, then to Pisgah Inn at Milepost 408.6 on BRP
Sunday, September 21 - Pisgah Inn to Moses H. Cone Memorial Park, then side trip to end day in Granite Falls to visit family
Monday, September 22 - Back to Moses H. Cone Memorial Park then on to Blue Ridge Music Center for overnight stay in cabin close by
Tuesday, September 23 - Blue Ridge Music Center to Waynesboro
Wednesday, September 24 - Skyline Drive, then to Washington

Do let me know if you would suggest any changes.

I have the maps of BPR and Skyline Drive printed big and laminated, rolled up ready to carry in my car.

I will also print all your suggestions and take them with me.

Many thanks again

Trevor

Les Sparks

• http://www.ncsparks.com
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 06:21:17 pm »

You've got a doable itinerary. Sounds like really nice trip.
Your first day will give you lots of time at Graveyard Fields. You should have time to hike to both the upper and lower falls. One thing to watch out for here is fog. We've been there when the fog rolls in and you can't see the car in front of you.
You'll need to prioritize thing on your second day:
I really recommend that you stop at the Folk Art Center. You can spend as much time (and $) there as you want.
The Crabtree Falls hike is a 2 mile loop rated as strenuous (think this overstates things). There are lots of thing to stop and enjoy so if you stop and smell the roses you can spend 3 or more here.
Linville Falls is another place worth a bit of time.
I would guess that stops at the Folk Art Center, Crabtree Falls, Linville Falls and other points that seem interesting as you're driving along will fill your day.
Julian Price park is a nice place for sunset.
The third day I would spend some time at Julian Price Park , and some time at the Moses Cone visitor center Craft Center. Then other spots that look interesting.
You've got enough time to enjoy much of the parkway and skyline drive and leave lots to do for a return trip.
Les

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 06:22:27 pm »

The Linwood Falls area is also nice but don't stay at the lodge in Linville unless you cater to fleas. The falls are worth the hike in.

And I'm one of those motorhome plaid shorts guys. Hey, I'm spending my children's inheritance one mile as a time.

Not far out of Asheville is Penland School of Art's & Crafts. If you like hand blown glass, this should be a must stop. The folk arts center is also quite a good stop. I used to sell some wares there.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 06:24:12 pm by Chris Calohan »
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

syncrasy

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 06:34:10 pm »

The Linwood Falls area is also nice . . .

Do you mean Linville Falls?
-- Mark

Chris Calohan

• Editing Allowed
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 06:50:50 pm »

Boo-boo..I did mean Linville Falls.
If it Ain't Broke, Leave it Alone; if it is Broke, Fix it; if it's a Maybe, Play With it - Who Knows

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 10:28:54 pm »

It is certainly a beautiful area. But, at that time of year, be prepared for hoards of the "plaid shorts" gang driving huge motor homes at 5 miles per hour. The Blue Ridge is a two lane road (one in each direction) and passing is impossible.

Looks like someone misses the point of the parkway...

“How to pry the tourists out of their automobiles, out of their back-breaking upholstered mechanized wheelchairs and onto their feet, onto the strange warmth and solidity of Mother Earth again? This is the problem which the Park Service should confront directly, not evasively, and which it cannot resolve by simply submitting and conforming to the automobile habit.” ― Edward Abbey, Desert Solitaire

Lonnie Utah

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 10:30:14 pm »

Sunday, September 21 - Pisgah Inn to Moses H. Cone Memorial Park, then side trip to end day in Granite Falls to visit family

Grew up very close to there, but haven't lived there for close to 15 years...

ahinesdesign

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 12:36:13 am »

I grew up in Boone, and spent a great deal of time on the BRP.  There's so much to stop and look at (and photograph) that you can return to the same area over and over without running out of natural beauty.  Each season brings drastic changes, but summer and fall are most popular.  Slow-moving traffic is common from summer through leaf season.

In the Boone/Blowing Rock area, Moses Cone park, Julian Price park, Linville Falls, Grandfather Mountain, Lynn Cove Viaduct, Doughton Park, are all great stops to make (probably can't do them all in one day though).  If you are looking for more serious hiking (full day excursion), there are several trails on Grandfather mountain that are tough but extremely rewarding.  Boone's Fork trail (a loop out of Julian Price Park) is also remote and covers a large variety of terrain.
Pages: [1]   Go Up