Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Balloon Help  (Read 2040 times)

russkie

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2
Balloon Help
« on: September 28, 2005, 09:30:38 pm »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and I'm not sure where to post my question.  

I'm going to the Albuquerque Balloon Festival this coming weekend (First Time).  I only have a day and one half so I'm trying to do a little homework prior to taking pictures. I've got a Canon Digital SLR.

Does anyone have any advise for shooting daylight balloon shots and nightime shots at the balloon glows? What type of lens to use, wide angle or telephoto? What type of shot settings to use in the daytime and at the balloon glows?  I guess mainly Iso speed, aperture and f stop? Or any advise.

Thanks,
Russkie
Logged

Marshal

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 101
Balloon Help
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 11:16:20 pm »

Do you have one camera or two? I always like to have one wide to short tele on one body and a longer tele on the other. If you have something like a 28-80 or 28-105(or digital equivalent)that will help a lot. Another lens on standby or on the other body would be great such as a 70-200 or 70-300.

I did the ABF about 10 years ago and loved it. Have fun.

Try to be there for the balloon glow. As many balloons that will be there, you MAY be able to shoot at 400-640 ISO, particularly if you can get a spot where so many are close together, which should be no problem. Should be plenty bright. I doubt you'll need 800 ISO. If on a tripod, feel free to try 100 ISO.

The special shape balloon rodeo later that week is really cool too. Too bad you only have a day or two. Make the most of it and have several memory cards on hand, even if only shooting in jpeg.
Logged

francois

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 14432
Balloon Help
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2005, 03:21:14 am »

If you use IS lenses such as 70-200 IS or 100-400 IS, turn IS off if you shoot vertically.

Francois
Logged
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up