Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: 8 Easy Ways to Know if an Image is Fine Art  (Read 31679 times)

sharperstill

Re: 8 Easy Ways to Know if an Image is Fine Art
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2014, 06:15:02 am »

"Let me mention what I see:  someone mocking something they don't understand"
1) how do you know they don't understand?
2) what if they DO understand and decide to go ahead and mock it.

I'm far more likely to mock something I do understand than something I don't. You seem to make a lot of presumptions in your pompous assessment of the blog post.

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 07:29:51 pm »

I don't find it particularly funny. I do find it particularly predictable though, just like pretty much every piece of self-proclaimed 'fine art' photography I've ever encountered. The term has for me, and I suspect many others, become synonymous with a hackneyed waste of viewing time - Hence responses such as the OP's linked list.

Gulag

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2014, 12:41:20 am »

"I can’t tell you what art does and how it does it, but I know that art has often judged the judges, pleaded revenge to the innocent and shown to the future what the past has suffered, so that it has never been forgotten. I know too that the powerful fear art, whatever its form, when it does this, and that amongst the people such art sometimes runs like a rumour and a legend because it makes sense of what life’s brutalities cannot, a sense that unites us, for it is inseparable from a justice at last. Art, when it functions like this, becomes a meeting-place of the invisible, the irreducible, the enduring, guts and honour."

- John Berger, Ways of Seeing BBC Series, 1972

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2014, 06:45:37 am »

"My work explores the relationship between Pre-raphaelite tenets and unwanted gifts.
With influences as diverse as Caravaggio and John Lennon, new insights are distilled from both traditional and modern discourse.
Ever since I was a postgraduate I have been fascinated by the endless oscillation of the human condition. What starts out as hope soon becomes finessed into a hegemony of lust, leaving only a sense of failing and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis.
As subtle phenomena become distorted through emergent and academic practice, the viewer is left with a hymn to the limits of our condition."
- Simon Stanmore, via Arty Bollocks dot com, 2014

For me, there is a huge distinction between art and what I termed "self-proclaimed fine art photography". Art is exposure and risk taking from its creator, and provokes emotional and/or cerebral responses in the viewer. What I termed as 'self-proclaimed fine art photography' provokes only disappointment and a motivation to move on to find something actually worth digesting. Unless of course this is the first time the viewer has encountered the endless stream of poorly treated landscapes, nude women awkwardly/bizarrely draped over said poorly treated landscapes, PS composites squeezing every last drop of their 'inspiration' from long-faded 70's prog rock album covers, camera club mentality floral 'abstracts', or - and yes, I have seen this all too often - the family cat.

Fine Art Photography (esp. self-proclaimed) :: Ansel Adams, Edward Weston, & Storm Thorgerson did this already ...  really rather well ... in long-distant decades when it was still somewhat fresh.

Gulag

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2014, 04:40:23 pm »

My question to you all is whether or not this can be called a "Fine Art" landscape photograph. Please share your wisdom with all of us. Thanks.

"Photography is our exorcism. Primitive society had its masks, bourgeois society its mirrors. We have our images."

— Jean Baudrillard

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2014, 06:31:28 pm »

My question to you all is whether or not this can be called a "Fine Art" landscape photograph. Please share your wisdom with all of us. Thanks.

I don't think I would even call it a landscape photograph, but whether or not it's dubbed fine art - or art - is not up to me: It's up the the individual that elects to hang up it somewhere to be viewed; be it the photographer, a gallery's curator, or a child with a fridge magnet.

My issue with the term 'fine art photography' is that 9 times out of 10 such titling leads me to a collection of imagery that is a pale imitation of countless imitations of a decades old subject/style combination. I have no problem with anyone shooting any subject in any way they like ... All I'm saying is that the specific three words 'Fine Art Photography' is something that almost unfailingly leads to disappointment (for me). As a result of my perspective on this, and in the context of this threads original post and subject, I am not surprised when others try to lampoon this phrase and/or those that elect to use it.

...that is all...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2014, 06:34:34 pm by Stanmore »

Gulag

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2014, 08:57:20 pm »

If you don't think it's a landscape piece,  I'll appreciate if you can explain what you believe "landscape"  ought to be.

— Jean Baudrillard

Stanmore

• My Website
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2014, 07:19:32 am »

Just like THIS of course!...

Diego Pigozzo

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2014, 08:42:05 am »

IMHO I would argue that yes, this is a fine art landscape.
Firstly of all, from the image you posted the photo looks very much like a Pollock painting and it conveys very well the huge varieties of scales of the nature.
Secondly, at almost 3 meters by 3 meters it must have a huge amount of details which (as Mr. Reichmann says in his comments on how He shot Sunrise Road) is vital for the composition.
When I grow up I want to be a photographer.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/diegopig/

Gulag

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2014, 07:33:18 pm »

In Western art, the definition and aesthetics for landscape genre have never been static and they keep evolving throughout centuries.  In Paradise 9, we can see the aesthetic influences from works of art in the first half of the 20th century, namely classical modernism. for example, we can identify the similarities that can be traced back to Pierre Bonnard's The Terrace at Vernon (1928).

here is the artist himself talking about why he shot the way he shot this:

http://www.americansuburbx.com/2008/11/theory-thomas-struth-talks-about-his.html

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 07:37:09 pm by Gulag »

— Jean Baudrillard

Incastone

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2014, 07:48:31 pm »

Just like THIS of course!...

Awesome. What lens did you use for that?  ;D

If Gulag and Kirby are representative of the people on the 'fine art' scene, I'm staying the hell away from it. Can you imagine them at a party? Jeez!

Michael West

« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 09:04:44 pm »

Brief, funny and surprisingly accurate  :)

http://missymwac.tumblr.com/post/89281833650/8-easy-ways-to-know-if-an-image-is-fine-art

P.S. Point D could explain this current thread on LuLa (sorry, Dave, couldn't resist :P)

loved the Example Image He posted!

Isaac

« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2014, 11:19:21 am »

My question to you all is whether or not this can be called a "Fine Art" landscape photograph.

"The very concept of landscape itself implies a cultural view of nature.

The landscape pictorial tradition is disassembled, since these are no longer landscapes in the sense of landscape as a cultural convention of viewing nature. Nature is not framed as a tourist spectacle as it is in the picture of El Capitan. … The work resists connotation and brings us up against a pure photographic seeing with minimum association, just the dense accumulation of details of natural phenomena, out of time and bereft of any social or historical information."

page 176 Photography Today

Reminds me of some Eliot Porter photographs.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up