Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Creative Cloud users who change country ... stuffed by Adobe  (Read 27853 times)

jeremyrh

I am moving country, and discovered that the geniuses at Adobe aren't able to move my CC subscription to my new location. Their solution is that I create another account (inventing yet another e-mail address) and then cancel my old CC subscription ... and buy a new one. At the new price. Not at the "earlybird" price I signed up for. Thanks, Adobe!!

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Creative Cloud users who change country ... stuffed by Adobe
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2014, 04:32:16 pm »

Why do you have to move the subscription to a new location?
Creating a new account isn't really a big deal is it? I have more than one. What I'd like to know from Adobe is, can you kill off the old one?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jeremyrh

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 05:26:30 pm »

You need to pay with a credit card registered in the old location with the old billing address. The whole thing is a mess - do Adobe imagine that people live their whole lives rooted to the spot, like trees?

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 05:29:36 pm »

You need to pay with a credit card registered in the old location with the old billing address.
True, good point. I guess if you move and the location demands a price change, nothing you can do. That said, I wouldn't be too concerned making a new account and you probably want to do that at the last minute before you have to pay up again. I guess this is a bit like moving from a state that has no sales tax (Oregon) to one that does. Kind of sucks.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jeremyrh

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2014, 04:25:05 am »

No, it's not the "making a new account" thing that is the big problem, though it is annoying. As is Adobe's claim that this is "for tax reasons". Err ... no - it isn't for tax reasons. I don't think there's a tax law that says a customer can't shop in two different countries. It's for "useless accounting software reasons".

kingscurate

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2014, 07:10:38 am »

Surely if you change address, you simply fill you details to change your address. So no new account.
The problem occurs with the credit card, as when adobe take your subscription the CC address has to correspond with the address you have on adobe database. Apparently its to stop fraud or helps against fraud.
I aint a pro

jeremyrh

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2014, 08:18:00 am »

Surely if you change address, you simply fill you details to change your address. So no new account.
Not if you change country. You can't do that with the same account. Incredible but true. (Same story for Paypal and Nespresso, BTW, but at least the price of coffee doesnt go up when you change country).

John Hue

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 03:05:57 am »

Hi

No, it's not the "making a new account" thing that is the big problem, though it is annoying. As is Adobe's claim that this is "for tax reasons". Err ... no - it isn't for tax reasons. I don't think there's a tax law that says a customer can't shop in two different countries. It's for "useless accounting software reasons".

This situation is very comon among all-digital/dematerialized software/other media offerings. They have the choice of either being on the honest consumers side and accept a small ammont of (detectable) fraud, or to eliminate all chances of fraud while knowingly penalizing the honest consumers. In my opinion that's the reason why you can't pay Adobe with a Paypal account of by wire transfer, as these methods don't offer the same amount of control as a credit card does.

Redcrown

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 03:04:39 am »

It's a little more complicated than you assume. The cost of doing business varies widely by country. Not just the sales tax or VAT that gets passed to the consumer, but the corporate income taxes and other fees paid to governments. And with some governments there are a lot of other fees. For example, the company I used to work for was required by an un-named European country to pay for an annual "audit" by the government regluatory agencies. Said audit cost $250K, and involved some government people showing up and drinking coffee for a week.

I don't know of any state in the US that charges sales tax on subscription services, but I suspect that some other countries do. And in those cases, the $250K auditors might look for customers who reside in the country, but pay for their subscription via the US. If you were managing the company, would you risk fines and other penalities by NOT requiring customers who relocate to the country to become part of that country's customer base? So, it's not Adobe trying to protect itself from customer fraud, it's the government.

Adobe could, of course, be wholly egalitarian and charge the same price to everyone in the world, regardless of the country. And in doing so, eat the increased costs of doing business in some countries. But they obviously do not. In end, Adobe sets prices using the same old formula that companies have used forever.

Price = Cost+(X+Y+Z) where X = Supply, Y = Demand, Z = Whatever the market will bear.

jeremyrh

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 06:03:56 am »

Possibly I wasn't clear - I'm not talking about shopping in 2 different countries at the same time - I mean the same consumer moving from one country to another and purchasing from the same vendor, or in this case keeping a subscription. (If you move from France to Germany, your National Geographic will still be sent to you at your new address.) Adobe are just (at best) lazy.

PhotoEcosse

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2014, 02:49:42 pm »

Yep - a lot of this sounds crazy.

Another example concerning Adobe:

Selling software as a download just has to be cheaper for the supplier than selling a disc that has to be manufactured and shipped. Right?

But, if you live in UK and buy an Adobe product, it is cheaper to buy it on a disc than to download it.

Why? Because the disc you buy (say from Amazon.co.uk) has VAT levied at the UK rate whereas the download is deemed to have been supplied from Ireland which has a higher VAT rate than UK.

So, in UK, we download our Adobe software so that we can use it immediately but, rather than buy the registration key at the Irish VAT rate, we also order a disc version from within UK at the UK VAT rate and use the registration key on the disc package to activate the downloaded software.

???
"Reality is an illusion caused by lack of alcohol."
Alternatively, "Life begins at the far end of your comfort zone."

Alan Klein

• Flicker photos
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2014, 03:06:09 pm »

I found something similar with Norton Anti virus.  It was more expensive to extend the subscription for a year than buy a new Norton program from Amazon and then uninstall the old one and install the new one. 

headmj

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 04:09:15 pm »

It doesn't matter if they are selling to the same person.  If you move to new country they have to report those sales there and pay whatever taxes are due there.  I expect that tehre are different VAT rates in Europe or wherever you are.  THEY MUST do this to meet their government imposed filing requirements.

In the US I have to pay sales tax in NY but other states do not require it and where I live is the deciding factor.

I'm a CPA (CA) and have dealt with this jurisdictional issue over and over.  If folks don't like it they need to go to the government not Adobe.   :-[

regards

mike

jeremyrh

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 04:49:38 pm »

It doesn't matter if they are selling to the same person.  If you move to new country they have to report those sales there and pay whatever taxes are due there.  I expect that tehre are different VAT rates in Europe or wherever you are.  THEY MUST do this to meet their government imposed filing requirements.

In the US I have to pay sales tax in NY but other states do not require it and where I live is the deciding factor.

I'm a CPA (CA) and have dealt with this jurisdictional issue over and over.  If folks don't like it they need to go to the government not Adobe.   :-[

regards

mike

As I said above:

Possibly I wasn't clear - I'm not talking about shopping in 2 different countries at the same time - I mean the same consumer moving from one country to another and purchasing from the same vendor, or in this case keeping a subscription. (If you move from France to Germany, your National Geographic will still be sent to you at your new address.) Adobe are just (at best) lazy.

Nothing to do with the government, just Adobe too dumb to transfer my account from Adobe DK to Adobe UK.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 10:49:39 am »

Careful, you're not the only CA (CPA) around here ;) . Until now VAT in Europe was based on the vendor's location. From 2015, software sales have VAT based on the purchaser's location and vendors have to break their tax numbers down by country.

But as Jeremy says, the problem here isn't about taxes.

brandon

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2015, 01:51:42 am »

"But as Jeremy says, the problem here isn't about taxes."

No its definitely not, its about an unwillingness to honour an agreed subscription rate to an early adopter by "forcing" him to have to cancel and restart  in a new location with  new pricing (due to the later timing of the restart plus or minus the additional issue that while there is a "flat earth" consumer base and supply of products (download) there is not a level field cost to the user irrespective of taxes in general for products.
For example In my country the only tax (sales tax GST/VAT) that applies is not levied to small purchases including subscriptions purchased overseas but we have a huge premium of added cost to download Adobe products well beyond anything that exchange rates could justify.So I buy Adobe products on disc when I visit USA. Phase rates seem more level field albeit not perfect.
Pages: [1]   Go Up