Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wilsons Promontory National Park Australia  (Read 1273 times)

peterkinchington

Wilsons Promontory National Park Australia
« on: July 17, 2014, 11:43:23 am »

I was watching with envy the video on the Luminous Landscape trip to the Kimberley in North West Australia. ( I have always wanted to go to Kimberleys - ever since I was a kid in the 1960's and I used to watch nature walkabout with Vincent Serventy on our Black and White TV). What I thought of when looking at your video was how red our rocks are (there is much iron in our landscape) compared to the relatively white rocks that I experienced in the Canadian Rockies when I visited my wife's homeland with my children. Anyway as a Victorian who has lived in and worked running field trips in Wilson's Promontory National Park - I think that this is an area that overseas photographers would find intriguing. It is the southern most point in Mainland Australia - diagonally opposite the Kimberleys (my wife would say "Kitty corner") in South East Australia and it has a wide range of habitats from heathlands to towering Eucalyptus (Gum Tree) forests it also includes the world's southernmost mangroves. Off the coast here are great dive sites where you can play with seals and dolphins or spot the occasional great white or hammerhead sharks and whales and view the picturesque offshore granite islands. The variety of birds will also amaze visitors these birds include  Gang Gang Cockatoos, Wedge Tailed Eagles, Crimson Rosellas, Rainbow Lorikeets and Great White Egrets. It is my favourite place.
Yours faithfully Peter Kinchington - www.peterkinchington.com :)

dreed

Re: Wilsons Promontory National Park Australia
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2014, 11:14:07 am »

The prom is mostly an area for hiking and overnight hikes at that which isn't too friendly if you want to carry in serious camera equipment. Are there any boat tours that travel around the prom during the summer months with rafts to take you ashore at places like Sealers Cove?

peterkinchington

Re: Wilsons Promontory National Park Australia
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2014, 01:53:38 pm »

Hi Dreed,
I do not know whether a raft service is offered. Your best bet is to phone the Parks Victoria help line on 13 1963 and ask whether this service is available from an approved operator.
Good Luck Peter
Pages: [1]   Go Up