Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Vote for your top 3 favorite photos!  (Read 6801 times)

simantini

• www.simantini.com
Vote for your top 3 favorite photos!
« on: September 26, 2005, 04:44:52 pm »

Hello,

I am a recent member to this forum. I have been doing digital photography for the past few years, especially on my extensive travels. For the last two months I have worked hard on developing my online digital portfolio at http://www.simantini.com Please visit my web site and vote on your top 3 prioritized favorite photo(s) and mention why you liked them, provide suggestions for taking better pictures, or comment on how to make the web site better, preferrably through the online form (under the Contacts tab), or by writing to me at comments@simantini.com.

I will keep updating the web site every few months. So please visit often for new photos and travel news.

Thank you in advance and I look forward to getting your critique and comments on my web site and photos...

Simantini
__
Simantini Chakraborty
comments@

Robert Spoecker

« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 07:01:56 pm »

Simantini,

I ,like many have a slow dial up connection. I could not wait for your images. Why don't you post them at about 640 by 480 at 72 dpi. This makes a nice jpg image that loads reasonably fast. Anything else a computer monitor will not display anyhow. Or do you expect us to make hi rez prints to evaluate your pictures.

This has been said many times about many posts, so don't feel alone lol.  :D

Robert

jule

• http://www.juliestephenson.net
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 10:07:18 pm »

Simantini, I have a relatively fast internet connection and the two times I tried your link, even after 2 minutes I still only had the word 'loading' with an indicator bar slowly ticking forwards at about 1/4 of the way along. I then decided not to wait any longer. Perhaps there is a problem?
Julie

Jonathan Wienke

• http://visual-vacations.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2005, 10:18:34 pm »

You have a severe problem with your site design. I can download and watch high-quality movie trailers far faster than loading your home page.

jdemott

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2005, 10:52:09 pm »

Hi Simantini,
I had no problems viewing the site; it was fairly easy to access and navigate.  Perhaps the server that hosts your site offers somewhat uneven service, given the negative comments from some others. You have done a nice job putting together a site that expresses yourself.  I recognized many of the places on your site, although I would have appreciated some captions that identified the locations--your interpretative captions are fine, but some identification would also be helpful.  Many of the photos are very nice, showing good vision and feeling, but the resolution and quality of the photos you have posted make it impossible to give any really meaningful comments.  Quite a few of the shots seem to have blown out highlights but I can't tell if that is because of the Web quality images or because the originals were a bit over-exposed.  I tried zooming in on some of the shots but that just seemed to give me a larger, but still low resolution view.  Perhaps if you post a somewhat higher resolution copy of one or a few of your photos here on the forum, some of us could offer some more focused comments.
John DeMott

drew

• http://www.andrewrichards.net
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2005, 05:47:36 am »

I too could not load your site on a reasonably fast connection at work.
Andrew Richards [url=http://www.andrewri

francois

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2005, 06:28:34 am »

This morning I could load it but it is really slow. You need to fix this as most users won't wait for a minute or two before entering your site.

Francois
Francois

Montelle

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2005, 11:15:12 pm »

I have a high-speed connection, so your site only took about 20 seconds to load; but viewers with dial-up service frequently avoid Flash sites. That's a dilemma you face when you design a site.

For someone using an 800x600 monitor, your images are probably large enough, but on 1280x1024 they're a bit small to evaluate.

ctgardener

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2005, 04:30:12 pm »

I'll agree with others ... I can download a 3MB PDF file in a fraction of the time it took to load your site ... and usually as soon as I see there's music playing, I close the window.  The zoom feature on the images is kind of pointless, as they're already full res (and very small on my screen, though I'm at 1400x1050).  

- Dennis

Jamal

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2005, 02:40:24 am »

Worth the wait... but then I've got a high speed connection.  (I like being able to browse quickly, which is a nice feature of your setup - the drawbacks have already been mentioned.)

#1: 8 - Ethereal Mountains: Well differentiated from an excellent collection, has the feel of a painting, blue & snow makes me "feel" the cold

#2: 5 - The Gathering Storm: Few but stark colors, portrays the ominous 'before the storm' lighting/look one sees in person perfectly

#3: 29 - Through The Zoom Lense: Like the framing, makes me yearn to look down the near precipice, begs me to 'step into' the shot

*A handful of misses or nearly fine shots, problems ranging from highlight burnout to less than stellar composition to cheesy-ness (not a big fan of most of the shots with people in the frame), architectural work is sound but doesn't stand up to the landscape work.

Caveat: I am an amatuer and am just calling it how I see it, no offense intended - just one man's view.

Very fine work nonetheless.

-Jamal

pobrien3

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2005, 11:22:51 pm »

I'd echo the comments already made.  I didn't get a chance to review all your images (got too impatient with slowness of site and irritating little tricks) so can't vote for the top three, but one or two I did look at were nice. There's too much fancy site design here for my taste, I found it to detract from the photos, and I had to mute the sound - I'm with Dennis in that I normally close off anything that has sound pretty quickly, it's very distracting for me.  If I hadn't come to your site through this thread, I would have closed it off far sooner than I did.

You'll notice the vast bulk of the comments here are about the site and not your photos - it's the dominant feature, not the images.
Pages: [1]   Go Up