Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture NX-D, for free.  (Read 25159 times)

Isaac

Capture NX-D, for free.
« on: July 16, 2014, 11:28:43 am »

The official version of Capture NX-D (Ver. 1.0) released on July 15.

tuthill

Re: Capture NX-D, for free.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 12:01:42 pm »

Based on my early attempts at using it I would say the price is about right.

TonyW

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 02:10:08 pm »

Have not yet tried it but reports from some/many? users indicate not happy i.e. those that are already using NX2.  From what I can gather edits are not honoured between CNX2 and NX D and those that love control points more than a little upset. 

The move to sidecar files seems to have also upset some users. More important to me is that the sidecar files are proprietary and it will not be possible to read metadata in other programs - for the time being. 

Well done Nikon for once again trying the proprietary route in an effort to make the market your very own (well for your users!).  Question is why as NX-D is free?  Well for the moment at least? 

tuthill

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 02:20:57 pm »

How uninformative.

I'm sorry.  It's slow and the interface is horrid.  The adjustment controls seem to be designed for simple adjustments.  No support for plugins.

Hopefully future versions will improve on this poor debut.

Simon Garrett

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 06:48:01 pm »

How uninformative.
If it was meant to be informative, you're quite right. 

But I suspect he was intending to give an opinion, not information.  And it's an opinion I share.  Nikon are a waste of space when it comes to software.  They should the job properly, or make it easier for others to do it by publishing full specs of the NEF data and other relevant information. 

Simon Garrett

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 03:16:03 am »

It would still have been uninformative.

That someone holds such-and-such-an-opinion is presumably of interest to them; but for others it only starts to become interesting when they explain why they hold such-and-such-an-opinion.

In the same way that your post is uninformative?

stamper

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 03:40:48 am »

Isaac, state your opinion on how good or bad it is otherwise people might think you are trolling. Personally I don't think you are but clearing up any doubts would be useful? :)

Simon Garrett

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 05:36:33 am »

Isaac, state your opinion on how good or bad it is otherwise people might think you are trolling. Personally I don't think you are but clearing up any doubts would be useful? :)
Yes, and I apologise if my previous response to Isaac seemed rude, but it would be good to get his views, too. 

Isaac

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2014, 10:24:04 am »

Isaac, state your opinion on how good or bad it is …

I don't have an opinion on how good or bad it is.

Stamper, state your opinion on how good or bad Capture NX-D is otherwise people might think you are trolling.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 06:43:00 pm »

I would not call it a complete disaster, but there are some clear functional regressions compared to NX2, most obvious is the lack of U point technology (which remains in my view the most revolutionary image edition tool since layers).

It is reasonably responsive on my Mac Pro 2013 and colours seems as nice as they used to, but I will not make it my converter of choice.

Cheers,
Bernard

stamper

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2014, 03:58:08 am »

Isaac, I haven't downloaded it nor have I posted a link to it as you have done. Just to remind you, it was you that started a thread on the subject so it imo behoves you to comment on it? Simon I wasn't referring to you so no apology is required. Unfortunately the thread went into a tailspin after the reply #2

How uninformative.

Members can make up their own minds as to why it deteriorated.  :(

Isaac

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2014, 09:46:07 am »

Members can make up their own minds as to why it deteriorated.

Neither of your comments has been about Capture NX-D.

Other people (including tuthill) are making sensible comments about Capture NX-D.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:23:33 am by Isaac »

jwstl

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »

If it was meant to be informative, you're quite right. 

But I suspect he was intending to give an opinion, not information.  And it's an opinion I share.  Nikon are a waste of space when it comes to software.  They should the job properly, or make it easier for others to do it by publishing full specs of the NEF data and other relevant information. 

To be fair, Nikon didn't actually create Capture NX-D; they gave it to someone else and they did it poorly.

http://nikonrumors.com/2014/03/24/yes-the-new-nikon-nx-d-software-is-made-by-silkypix.aspx/

Simon Garrett

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 12:13:47 pm »

Neither of your comments has been about Capture NX-D.

Other people (including tuthill) are making sensible comments about Capture NX-D.

Well, here are my comments about NX-D: It has about the same functionality as View NX, but with a better user interface (and better than NX2).  It doesn't have the degree of raw convertor control as, for example, Lightroom/ACR, or the late lamented Aperture and NX2.  It allows limited tweaking of exposure, WB, highlights and so on.

A plausible workflow is to use NXD to tweak the camera control settings, then export to TIF/jpeg for further editing.

However, to me this misses the enormous advantage of raw, which is to carry out as much editing as possible on the raw image.  The raw image has so much more potential than Tif, let alone a jpeg, in terms of dynamic range and potential to alter WB and tonal balance.  NX-D forces you into a linear workflow of (1) raw conversion, (2) other editing, including localised editing.  I find the more iterative approach of Lightroom much, much, more powerful. 

NX-D has the advantage that it's Nikon's raw convertor, and Nikon know more about the sensor than anyone else - at least initially, until others have done the experimentation wouldn't be needed if Nikon weren't so pointlessly secretive. 

I shall keep NX-D loaded so I can use it occasionally for a "reference Nikon raw conversion".  Where I have difficulty getting what I want from Adobe conversion, I'll try NX-D to see if I'm missing something. But I doubt it will have any part in my regular workflow.

You may or may not regard my comments as correct, but if you think they're not "sensible", well let's avoid letting this conversation deteriorate in ways neither you nor I want it to.

Lupin

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2014, 11:35:37 am »

I've tried NX-D and I don't like it at all.

It won't read Capture NX2 edits.
Any file that's already been edited in Capture NX2 has to be 'restored' before NX-D can do anything.
Sidecar files & folders are a major hassle.
NX-D loses its edits if anything happens to the corresponding sidecar file or PARAM folder.
There's no way to add plugins (if there is, I haven't found it).
Nothing else will read the NX-D sidecar format (.nksc).
NX-D cannot do what Capture NX2 can do (U-point etc, etc, etc).
Capture NX2 can have any number of files open for editing at the same time - NX-D can't.

The only good thing about NX-D is that I didn't pay any money for it.  >:(

Lupin

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 11:43:52 am »

PS to above.

Oh, and NX-D is prone to locking up, whereupon you lose the edit completely.

Lupin

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 12:30:54 pm »

They all refer to the release version - v1.0.0

Fine_Art

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 12:50:54 pm »

I would not call it a complete disaster, but there are some clear functional regressions compared to NX2, most obvious is the lack of U point technology (which remains in my view the most revolutionary image edition tool since layers).

It is reasonably responsive on my Mac Pro 2013 and colours seems as nice as they used to, but I will not make it my converter of choice.

Cheers,
Bernard

I was unfamiliar with control points so I went to the Nikon website to look at how it works. I recommended something similar to the Raw Therapee forum last year, which did not go anywhere for the complexity (I guess) of getting it to work with the rest of the existing code. The idea was in 2 parts.
-You right click a point on your image to make a control point on your curves graph. This lets you move the area you see as a problem rather than grabbing the curve, hoping you got a close point.
-you right click to get a color wheel in a circle around the point for very fine color vector adjustments. That matches the RT logo.

Somebody should still work that in. The whole thing of all these control panel type adjustments at the side, in all these programs, show a primitive way of working with the image. More thought should go into a system for adjusting at the image.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2014, 04:23:23 am »

if you open an image in NXD, then click > "open with", an option to open with NX2 is in that dropdown menu.
I have the most recent build of NX2, and when the RAW file is opened from NXD open with NX2, the Nikon D810 RAW file can be edited in NX2.

Very strange, but it works, oddly enough.
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

Lupin

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 07:04:58 am »

if you open an image in NXD, then click > "open with", an option to open with NX2 is in that dropdown menu.
I have the most recent build of NX2, and when the RAW file is opened from NXD open with NX2, the Nikon D810 RAW file can be edited in NX2.

Very strange, but it works, oddly enough.

I have NX-D v1.0.3 and NX2 v2.4.7 and this is what happens

1. Open a D810 NEF in NX-D
2. Go to Image > Open With > Capture NX2
3. The D810 NEF opens in Capture NX2

Most of the NX2 controls aren't there though.

The Camera Settings section isn't there at all - so no WB, Picture Control or Noise Reduction.
Quick Fix section - Exposure Compensation slider is greyed out.
Camera & Lens Corrections section - there's no Moire, Auto Distortion, Auto Red-Eye or Vignette Control.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up