Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: i1Profiler and OSX 1.8.5  (Read 6566 times)

meierruedi@hotmail.com

i1Profiler and OSX 1.8.5
« on: July 08, 2014, 11:32:53 am »

Dear all

I calibrated my MacBookPro running on OS 10.8.5 with i1Profiler 1.5.4.. The OS is running the new profile and looks ok. As soon as I start any imaging software be it Photoshop, Bridge or CamRanger the profile is changed to some default LED profile and hence very blue. By quitting those programs the profile is changed back to the one created by i1Profiler. Very annoying indeed!

I did try and run i1 again and noticed that I can not safe the profile on the system level. Anyone any remedies?

Thanks!

Jeff-Grant

• http://www.jeff-grant.com
Re: i1Profiler and OSX 1.8.5
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:54:53 pm »

Are you an administrator on your MAC? On the profile build page you should get the choice of saving your profile at System or User level.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

meierruedi@hotmail.com

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 05:40:26 am »

Yes I am the administrator on the mac and there is only one user (myself). I can see the two boxes but the system level box is not available.

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 05:54:55 am »

That's odd. It's selectable on my iMac. I just checked it. I have no idea what it might be but you can move the profile from your user library to the system one. It's just the one file. In case you don't know the structure, I'll attach a screen grab.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

howardm

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 07:10:29 am »

I think it's some permission weirdness related to 'groups'.  W/o getting into a diatribe on Unix users/groups, the /Library/ColorSync/Profiles directory is usually owned by 'root' and group ownership is 'wheel' (a historically important name).  However, Joe User is not by default a member of the wheel group (they are members of 'staff' or 'admin' groups).

So, you can either open up the permissions of that directory a bit (change group to staff or admin (no harm in doing so)) via the 'chgrp' command or you can add user to the wheel group via 'dseditgroup'.

I'd bet that if you did:
cd /Library/ColorSync/Profiles
ls -alt .
id

you'd see a disparity between the groups the user was a member of (the id command) and the group ownership of the directory in question.
This is all part of Apple's 'keep out of the /Library area unless you know what you're doing' mindset.  If you're not sharing the profiles with other users on the machine, then it makes little/no difference if you put them in /Library/....  or   ~/Library/.... (your home area)

The 3 steps you'd need to make are:
cd /Library/ColorSync/Profiles
sudo chgrp staff  .
sudo chmod 775  .

After those 3, you should be able to write to the system-level directory via i1Profiler (and any other tool)

meierruedi@hotmail.com

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:01:49 pm »

@ Jeff

Thanks. What's odd is that I don't even see the user's library! I don't even get any search results for my profile even though I can select it in the system's preferences. Very strange indeed!

@ Howard

Thanks for the insight. Unfortunately I don't really get it, not that computer savvy.... Should I just copy and paste the steps you mentioned via the terminal?

The first thing would be to find my profile anywhere…maybe it got hidden somewhere PS, Bridge and CamRanger can't access it? Any idea where that could be?

Greetings
Ruedi

francois

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:09:29 pm »

@ Jeff

Thanks. What's odd is that I don't even see the user's library! I don't even get any search results for my profile even though I can select it in the system's preferences. Very strange indeed!

Ruedi,
The user's library folder is hidden by default. If you want/need to openit you'll need (in the Finder) to press down the Option (Alt) key then go to the Go menu and then Library. The Library will only be visible when the Option key is down.

HTH
Francois

Jeff-Grant

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:17 pm »

Sorry, I forgot that. I have used an app called Showlionlibrary which unhides all the stuff that Apple doesn't want you to see. There are plenty of others out there. A quick Google should find one.
Cheers,
 Jeff  www.jeff-grant.com

francois

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:26:07 am »

Sorry, I forgot that. I have used an app called Showlionlibrary which unhides all the stuff that Apple doesn't want you to see. There are plenty of others out there. A quick Google should find one.

And it's also possible to open a Terminal window and type (or paste) the following line:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

FWIW, on 10.9, there's an option to make the user's library folder visible.
Francois

meierruedi@hotmail.com

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 08:53:57 am »

Hi François

Thanks! I now see the user's library, copied the profile to the system's library and oh no the problem remains. I changed the permissions on the system's colsync. folder and I will recalibrate tomorrow, maybe I can now save the profile right away to the system folder….

Ruedi

francois

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 12:52:29 pm »

Hi François

Thanks! I now see the user's library, copied the profile to the system's library and oh no the problem remains. I changed the permissions on the system's colsync. folder and I will recalibrate tomorrow, maybe I can now save the profile right away to the system folder….

Ruedi

Hi,
Sorry to hear that your issue was no solved. Now, Have you tried to repair disk permissions with Disk Utility?
Your problem is original, I've yet to come across something like it… Any suspect error messages in the console? What happens if you create a new admin user account? Does the profile switching still occur?
Francois

meierruedi@hotmail.com

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2014, 01:32:58 pm »

Hi François

Yes, the saga continues: After having deleted all the display profiles, I recalibrated and was able to save the profile into the correct system's folder. BUT the generic Color LCD profile gets written back to the profiles folder no matter how many times you delete it. It's probably written in some obscure ROM.....Anyway, as it's still around PS, Bridge and CamRanger like this profile better then the one created by i1Profiler..

Next I copied the name of the generic profile, erased it again, gave the i1-profile the generic name and no, it doesn't work.

Maybe I should just upgrade to OS 10.9. and see what happens....

francois

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2014, 09:55:12 am »

Hi François

Yes, the saga continues: After having deleted all the display profiles, I recalibrated and was able to save the profile into the correct system's folder. BUT the generic Color LCD profile gets written back to the profiles folder no matter how many times you delete it. It's probably written in some obscure ROM.....Anyway, as it's still around PS, Bridge and CamRanger like this profile better then the one created by i1Profiler..

Next I copied the name of the generic profile, erased it again, gave the i1-profile the generic name and no, it doesn't work.

Maybe I should just upgrade to OS 10.9. and see what happens....

Ruedi,
Best thing you can do is install Mac OS X 10.9 on an external hard drive and boot on it. This way, if your issue is still present, you leave your internal boot drive intact.
Francois

meierruedi@hotmail.com

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:06:42 am »

Just did an OS-update to 10.9.4 plus updated iProfiler to 1.5.6. Then I changed all the system/library/colsyc folders' permission, ran iProfiler and yes it works fine now!

Thanks again for everybody's help!

Ruedi

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:15 am »

Ruedi,
Best thing you can do is install Mac OS X 10.9 on an external hard drive and boot on it. This way, if your issue is still present, you leave your internal boot drive intact.
Before doing that, maybe log into another account. If the issues persist, then it's time to consider that reinstall. But if not, the issue lies there, in that account.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

francois

« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 10:42:48 am »

Just did an OS-update to 10.9.4 plus updated iProfiler to 1.5.6. Then I changed all the system/library/colsyc folders' permission, ran iProfiler and yes it works fine now!

Thanks again for everybody's help!

Ruedi

Good to hear that your issue is finally fixed…

:)
Francois
Pages: [1]   Go Up