Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Rejected  (Read 1549 times)

Andres Bonilla

Rejected
« on: July 05, 2014, 11:06:03 pm »

This little girl came with the mom and sister to an immigrant shelter in Tapachula, Chiapas Mexico. They were full, she fell asleep outside the building.

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Rejected
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 03:17:05 am »

Sad, thanks for sharing.

Best regards
Erik
Erik Kaffehr

stamper

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 06:01:09 am »

Very thought provoking. Makes you think.

seamus finn

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 09:08:18 am »

Excellent, especially when the back story is revealed.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 11:59:55 am »

Sad, thanks for sharing.

Best regards
Erik
Thanks! Yes very sad and a very complex problem.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 12:00:55 pm »

Very thought provoking. Makes you think.

Thank you! I still don't have a clear opinion on the subject.

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2014, 12:01:46 pm »

Excellent, especially when the back story is revealed.

Yes, most of the stories are so horrible you may think they are out of a movie.

mal mcilwraith

• malmac photography
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

while we are on the verge of being political -

It is hard to fairly share the resources of planet Earth with 7,000,000,000,000 (billion) people and it is not going to easier unless we either (a) all accept a little less, (b) we consider population decline as desirable (c) we start to colonize other planets and bring the resources back to Earth. I am sure others would add additional options that I haven't thought of.

mmmmmmmm

I wonder what will happen.

Mal

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2014, 05:12:52 pm »

... I am sure others would add additional options that I haven't thought of...

Like converting it to B&W and/or significantly toning down the rather distracting bright shoes and the t-shirt sign? ;)

This is a photo crying for a Eugene Smith's Farmer's reducer intervention.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 05:14:47 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2014, 08:22:08 pm »

while we are on the verge of being political -

It is hard to fairly share the resources of planet Earth with 7,000,000,000,000 (billion) people and it is not going to easier unless we either (a) all accept a little less, (b) we consider population decline as desirable (c) we start to colonize other planets and bring the resources back to Earth. I am sure others would add additional options that I haven't thought of.

mmmmmmmm

I wonder what will happen.

Well no easy answer, the perennial dilemma of the wealthier countries having to deal with immigration with all its baggage. We all feel for the less fortunate but we also condone their goverments. 

Mal

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2014, 08:27:01 pm »

Like converting it to B&W and/or significantly toning down the rather distracting bright shoes and the t-shirt sign? ;)

This is a photo crying for a Eugene Smith's Farmer's reducer intervention.

Yes I noticed the t-shirt sign more than the shoes, I thought about cloning it out but then  I was afraid too much intervention on my part could somehow skewed the photo. I have a few more where I went for my style but this one was so "documentary" that I was a little worried...but the again no one would have noticed it.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2014, 09:15:46 pm »

Yes I noticed the t-shirt sign more than the shoes, I thought about cloning it out but then  I was afraid too much intervention on my part could somehow skewed the photo...

That is why I suggested toning it down, rather than cloning it out. However, were it mine, I would clone out the sign and tone down the shoes, so that the brightest part of the image is the girl's face.

Btw, for the younger generation, which might be wondering what Farmer's reducer is and who Eugene Smith is, here is the image that I had in mind. It is a hybrid between fine art and documentary (in other words, highly post processed chemically to accentuate the most important visual aspects). Goes to show that you can still achieve a documentary impact with a heavily manipulated photo (some would argue that amounts to editorializing, or even propaganda, but that is a subject for a separate thread).

Andres Bonilla

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2014, 10:54:49 am »

That is why I suggested toning it down, rather than cloning it out. However, were it mine, I would clone out the sign and tone down the shoes, so that the brightest part of the image is the girl's face.

Btw, for the younger generation, which might be wondering what Farmer's reducer is and who Eugene Smith is, here is the image that I had in mind. It is a hybrid between fine art and documentary (in other words, highly post processed chemically to accentuate the most important visual aspects). Goes to show that you can still achieve a documentary impact with a heavily manipulated photo (some would argue that amounts to editorializing, or even propaganda, but that is a subject for a separate thread).

Thank you! Very good suggestions and the link for Eugene Smith is great, I was only familiar with the first photo, I will check the rest of his work. I will also attempt to deal with the shoes and t-shirt logo.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2014, 11:34:53 am »

Careful, Andres. I agree with Slobodan that the shoes, particularly, can stand toning down, but not by much. All you want to do is move the initial focus of attention from the shoes and the sign to the face. The light in this picture is superb, and the problem is the bright color of the shoes and the sign on the shirt. But the shoes the kid's wearing are an important part of this picture, and I'd hate to see the sign on the shirt disappear.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up